PDA

View Full Version : BBL 05.04.13 First trip of the year

JAG107
05-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Got my annual lake pass today and got launched a little after 630. Today was a full recon/troll mission to see what the trout are up to. Being my first spring visit to BBL, I wasn't sure what to expect. The FF was blowing up with marks all over the place, which I assumed were probably 99% carp. I ran through the tackle box of all the usual lures that have worked in the past, and ended up getting all 3 of my fish on the ol' flasher/crawler combo and needlefish. Didn't get bit until almost 11, which made the morning a bit frustrating plying the west end and the triangle at all depths and speeds from 1.0-2.6mph. Turns out 1.6 and 16' (and 3 colors on the lead rig) was the magic combo. Kept one of the trout for dinner, let the other 2 go, along with the 2 crappie that hit the hardbaits I had out for a while. Also got bit off twice on the flasher rig, which reminded me for the future to ALWAYS retie the hook after a catch.
Funny, I didn't get the first bite until the wind started to pick up, and by noon when it really got going where I could hardly keep the bow into the wind I was getting the most action, which meant I had to keep the boat in gear while reeling in so I wouldn't flip around. I lost 2 fish doing this, but I was getting way more hits headed into the wind than going downwind so I just kept making passes westbound between eagle pt and the observatory getting all my fish of the day in that general area. The west end was dead and a lot of the guys I saw anchored up were giving up and moving on after 8 or 9 o'clock.
Finally called it a day around 3, boy it sure was a beautiful day on the water. Can't wait to get back up there and hopefully break my lake PB of 2.0lbs this year!

tomar19
05-05-2013, 01:18 AM
I rode my motorcycle up to BBL for my first visit of the year. Fished the N. shore of the damn from shore. Managed one 1 lbs bass on a mice tail to beat the skunk, but no trout. That was a pretty serious wind today. My next visit will be on my new Native Mariner kayak when it gets here. Really looking forward to trolling and getting off the bank.

diamondbear
05-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Good report Jag , as getting up there is a start to a good season . It was the same for me sat. it didnt get good until the wind started blowin . 3-4 colors lead with a worm as I talked to a local guide and he says WORMS . The Big Bear municipal water district [ www.bbmwd.org] has a Limnological repot [limno] which can help anyone figure out where the fish are hiding .The limno is a combo. of temps and dissolved oxygen [ D.O.] reading throughout the lk. The temps are ideal from top to bottom eveywhere now as the winds are keeping things stired up . Thanks for posting // db

JAG107
05-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I love that they post those limno reports, it's really interesting to see how the DO changes throughout the water colomn in different parts of the lake, and then go out and fish and see where they're biting in comparison. I think the 55 degree water temp is pretty close to the rainbow's ideal liking, I was hoping there would be some livelier action especially near the surface, but I read the clarity of the water keeps them down most of the time. I also wonder if the carp boiling all over the place has any effect on the trout?