PDA

View Full Version : The “Old Guys” Draw First Blood

bachiboy
05-04-2013, 04:03 PM
So, I ended up on-call Friday for work and decided that, after dropping my son off to school, I’d hit a beach thatI thought might hold some fish based on the tide conditions. I knew I couldn’t get there till around 9:30-10am so I wasn’t expecting very much. I also haven’t had much success when there were bluebird skies overhead but figured, if nothing else, it’s going to be a great day for the beach.

When I get to the A.O., I notice a flyfisherman working the skinny. I start my way down the beach and strike up a conversation. He said that he had landed a bean and a SNGF but overall it was slow. I told him that I had noticed quite a few leos in the area a couple weeks before and that would be a blast on that whippin stick. He was using a fairly small perch fly so he wasn’t expecting much. Well, wouldn’t you know it, I get no more than 20 feet away from him and he screams to me “FISH ON!” I turn around and he’s full bendo.:Surprised: I rack my rod in my backpack so that I can help him land the mystery fish and after a 20 min. or so battle, he pulls up a 53” leo...on 6lb. tippet!:EyePop: The leo actually ate the perch fly so he had good control of the head. I didn’t get any pictures cuz I figured I wasn’t going to be writing a report about someone else catching fish and had low expectations for myself, so my camera was stashed away in my backpack. Anyways, I don’t know if you’ll see this, but CONGRATULATIONS Steve! Not sure he frequents FNN.

So we part ways and I start making my way down the beach. I only had a couple of hours and I had kinda used up a half hour helping land the leo. The salad was as big a pain in the rear as I’ve seen it here in a while. I’d say every 20 casts or MORE, I’d end up without “unagi” grass making my LC look like Bob Marley. I was getting pretty frustrated and thought about putting on a Carolina Keeper to help with the salad problem but was too lazy to cut down and re-tie.:whistle::Rolls Eyes: As I’m working back toward my starting point I start casting over some minor trenches I see out in front of me. I guess I got one lucky, grass-free cast in cuz BAM! Fish on. I start working him in and figured it was a flattie but didn’t have my hopes too high cuz Mr. Wiggles had fooled me too many times in the past. Sure enough after a short drag run I get him to the skinny and see that it’s a flattie...REAL close to legal. I beach him and start digging for my measuring tape and camera (which are normally on the ready in an accessible pocket) when I notice the sand under him is still wet. Knowing that, if a decent surge comes in, I could lose this fish sort of like Terry did last week, without photo proof. So, I slide him up to some drier sand and, sure enough, one flop and the hook falls out (wish they had come out of my fingers that easily last week).:mad:

I start doing measurements and it comes up just at 22...maybe 22 1/4, but gets this old guy his first LC flattie of the year, first legal flattie of the year and, more importantly, first blood in the SWAT “Old Fogy Stogies vs. Young Whippersnappers” tourney we’re having.:Twisted:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/full_zps99ade22b.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/full_zps99ade22b.jpg.html)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/head_zps099c6e28.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/head_zps099c6e28.jpg.html)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/tail-2_zps87c9ae81.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/tail-2_zps87c9ae81.jpg.html)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/wingnut_pose_zps99185124.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/wingnut_pose_zps99185124.jpg.html)

Game on kids...you’re move!:Wink::LOL:

Went out the this morning and met SP Dan to see if we could coax some of his friends but only managed a pancake for Dan and a SNGF for me...unless Dan made some magic happen after I left?:Wink: Here’s Dan’s pancake...

Dan's standing over it as if to say "That all you got? You've gotta grow at least 6 more inches!"

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/DansButt1_zps0f185de5.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/DansButt1_zps0f185de5.jpg.html)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/DansButt2_zpsac86ae63.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/DansButt2_zpsac86ae63.jpg.html)

Hope you enjoyed the read and good luck out there everyone!
Don

PTN
05-04-2013, 04:14 PM
:Applause: Congrats on your first legal of the year Don. 1 for the "Old Geezers" :LOL: You deserved it and it finally paid off with all the hard work you been putting on the sand. Arthur let me know right away that you guys drew first blood. :Angry: :ROFL: Let's see if we can answer back.:Flamethrower: Thanks for the report!

-Peter

FishinLBC
05-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Way to pull one out of the salad, I'm hoping tomorrow will have some better conditions in my area . This tourney is going to be a good one to watch. :-)

DockRat
05-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Good job in the salad bowl.
I hit S Redondo friday 6pm till sunset.
Grass and kelp almost every cast for a skunk.
DR

Which Way Out
05-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Good going Don. 1st Blood!!!!!!:Dancing Banana: Lord knows I won't be much help to the Team. I bet you guys will continue to do well.

The kids have Q3fishboy, aka Roy on their team, and I'll tell ya he's on a mission. The last two times he and I have hit the water he has pulled in 2 shorts (20") to my zero. Once the water gets better here he's going to be posting some good numbers.

We need to get a big lead as fast as we can. I'll help the best I can..:Confused:

WWO

murrieta angler
05-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Sweet job Don..:Wink:
We are definately going to need a head start, since they are fighting dirty...:Shocked:
I tried my best today, but it just wasn't meant to be.
Congrats on your 1st legal flatty of the year, took long enough...:Surprised::Big Grin:
Keep up the good work brotha,
Robert
<><

jerryG
05-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Right on Don... Good job on your first legal of the year and first fish of the tournament. Well done..Go Team OFS (Old Fogy Stogie).

JerryG

Newfishsmell
05-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Congratulations on the legal Don, and drawing first blood.

And since I'm in the over 40 club myself, go team - Old Fogy Stogies ... lol

SP Dan
05-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi ya bachiboy

Congratulations on beaching your latest legal Hali Don!,

I'm so happy that we are on the same team Sir!

Thanx for the "first blood" of May 2013 fish report with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

dlmoo312
05-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Congratulations Don on beaching your first legal of the year!:Big Grin: and drawing first blood for Team Old Fogies!
I'm excited to see how this month pans out. Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

PONTOON
05-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Don, First and Foremost...........Congratulations on your first legal and (very important to us "Old Guys" drawing first blood! :Cool:

When I got the intel from the commander it brought a big smile to me because it was good knowing you were out there on business and got the job done.

Congratulations again! :Thumbs Up:

bloox8
05-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Congrats on the first legal of the year Don!
I see that there has been a lot of SWAT attacks recently... Seems like the battle is going to heat up real soon :Cool:
Good luck out there and hopefully I'll see you on the field.

Thien

skunked4life
05-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Congrats out there Don! Wish I could have joined you guys on Sunday, but I heard a voice calling me to His house and I couldn't say no.

Now, I don't know who caught their's first but I would think that Dan's SNGF would also qualify, right Arthur? Just trying to help you old farts out. Remember guys, you can take the lead with a single fish right out of the gates, but to keep it is a whole 'nother story. I wouldn't worry too much considering me and Thien's luck lately, Daniel and Peter's fishblocking fouls, and the fact that Arthur let us have a free weekend pass. Let's get it on this coming weekend guys!

saltman
05-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Don

Sorry about this late reply just been busy these day, but Right on brother glad to have you on the old guys list and to draw frist blood!
Congrats

Ramiro

blackwater
05-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Nice job Don, chalk one up for the old(er) guys. :Wink:
All I hear are crickets from the other side, hehe :LOL:

bachiboy
05-09-2013, 11:19 PM
:Applause: Congrats on your first legal of the year Don. 1 for the "Old Geezers" :LOL: You deserved it and it finally paid off with all the hard work you been putting on the sand. Arthur let me know right away that you guys drew first blood. :Angry: :ROFL: Let's see if we can answer back.:Flamethrower: Thanks for the report!

-Peter

Thanks Peter! Hopefully you guys are finding some fish out there tonight. Taking you guys a little longer to volley back than I thought it would.

Way to pull one out of the salad, I'm hoping tomorrow will have some better conditions in my area . This tourney is going to be a good one to watch. :-)

Thanks FLBC! Yea, that was some messy stuff out there. Enjoy the fireworks...it's gonna start blowing up this weekend I'm sure.:Wink:

Good job in the salad bowl.
I hit S Redondo friday 6pm till sunset.
Grass and kelp almost every cast for a skunk.
DR

Thanks DR! Yep, pretty much what I was dealing with that day. Seems like it had cleared up a bit even with the latest weather that blew through.

Good going Don. 1st Blood!!!!!!:Dancing Banana: Lord knows I won't be much help to the Team. I bet you guys will continue to do well.
The kids have Q3fishboy, aka Roy on their team, and I'll tell ya he's on a mission. The last two times he and I have hit the water he has pulled in 2 shorts (20") to my zero. Once the water gets better here he's going to be posting some good numbers.
We need to get a big lead as fast as we can. I'll help the best I can..:Confused:
WWO

Thanks Bill! Going into this, I was pretty sure that I was gonna be the weak link on the team...guess every dog gets a bone at some point in time.:Wink: You'll get 'em soon enough I'm sure! Roys just out there weeding out the smallies for you.:LOL: GO GET 'EM bud!!!!

Sweet job Don..:Wink:
We are definately going to need a head start, since they are fighting dirty...:Shocked:
I tried my best today, but it just wasn't meant to be.
Congrats on your 1st legal flatty of the year, took long enough...:Surprised::Big Grin:
Keep up the good work brotha,
Robert
<><

Thanks Robert! Damned shame what them rooks did to ya.:Angry: Hope your out there tonight getting some payback...errr, on the fish that is.:Twisted::ROFL:

Right on Don... Good job on your first legal of the year and first fish of the tournament. Well done..Go Team OFS (Old Fogy Stogie).
JerryG

Thanks Jerry! DUDE...what's with us and them *&^(ing hooks!:LOL: Us "old guys" getting sloppy or what? I can still feel those stingers in a couple of my fingers so I'm pretty sure I tapped the bone. Guess we gotta take some revenge out there on some fish. Go get 'em man!

Congratulations on the legal Don, and drawing first blood.
And since I'm in the over 40 club myself, go team - Old Fogy Stogies ... lol

Thanks NFS! Man feels good to finally strike gold and at the right time. Good to hear we have a cheering squad too!:Wink:

Hi ya bachiboy
Congratulations on beaching your latest legal Hali Don!,
I'm so happy that we are on the same team Sir!
Thanx for the "first blood" of May 2013 fish report with pic's! :Cool:
SP Dan <"))><

Dan the Man! Wish you coulda scored the next day. Man did those conditions look sweet or what? I coulda sworn we were gonna smoke em that day. Well, you're day is coming...REAL SOON! I can feel it!:Wink:

Congratulations Don on beaching your first legal of the year!:Big Grin: and drawing first blood for Team Old Fogies!
I'm excited to see how this month pans out. Thanks for the report!
-Daniel

Thanks Daniel! This is gonna be fun. I'm surprised that the last weekend didn't put you guys on the board, but I'm interested in hearing the outcome tonight. Will the lack of moon make a difference? We'll see...:whistle:

Don, First and Foremost...........Congratulations on your first legal and (very important to us "Old Guys" drawing first blood! :Cool:
When I got the intel from the commander it brought a big smile to me because it was good knowing you were out there on business and got the job done.
Congratulations again! :Thumbs Up:

Thanks Terry! You know, one can learn from another man's misfortune. Well, if you didn't share that story about losing that one legal in the surge, I might not have taken that fish to higher ground, which woulda cost us all...so, THANK YOU sir! You were a big inspiration to me hitting the surf for flatties with your epic journey. Keep it going!

Congrats on the first legal of the year Don!
I see that there has been a lot of SWAT attacks recently... Seems like the battle is going to heat up real soon :Cool:
Good luck out there and hopefully I'll see you on the field.
Thien

Thanks Thien! You know, this is a competition and all, but I'm still routing for you to go deck that induction fish. Hope to hear about it in the next couple of days!:Wink:

Congrats out there Don! Wish I could have joined you guys on Sunday, but I heard a voice calling me to His house and I couldn't say no.
Now, I don't know who caught their's first but I would think that Dan's SNGF would also qualify, right Arthur? Just trying to help you old farts out. Remember guys, you can take the lead with a single fish right out of the gates, but to keep it is a whole 'nother story. I wouldn't worry too much considering me and Thien's luck lately, Daniel and Peter's fishblocking fouls, and the fact that Arthur let us have a free weekend pass. Let's get it on this coming weekend guys!

Thanks Ken! Well, it's definitely game on. Not sure if you're burnin the midnight oil with the boyz but I have a funny feeling it might not go the same as last go around (cuz of the moon phase). I could be wrong, and if I am, I hope you go nail that big butt for your induction! Good luck out there.:Wink:

Don
Sorry about this late reply just been busy these day, but Right on brother glad to have you on the old guys list and to draw frist blood!
Congrats
Ramiro

No worries, not like these replies I'm posting are a quick turnaround.:LOL::Wink: Hope you get out there to pad our lead bro! Thanks for readin...

Nice job Don, chalk one up for the old(er) guys. :Wink:
All I hear are crickets from the other side, hehe :LOL:

:ROFL: That's cold...true...but cold!:Wink: Thanks Phuong! Man, we need to get you back out there. God knows, Mother's Day weekend isn't the best to make a comeback on, but the weather and fishing is turning around, so I think it's getting close to that time to come out of this "semi-retirement" that you've gotten yourself into.:Smile: We need all the help we can get with these Youngin's!

bones
05-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Great job out there Don....You were definitely a man on a mission. I'm STILL trying to stick my first legal of the year. Haven't had much opportunity but OLd Bonzie will come from behind. At least I hope so.....LOL

Keep up the awesome work out there guys!

bachiboy
05-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Great job out there Don....You were definitely a man on a mission. I'm STILL trying to stick my first legal of the year. Haven't had much opportunity but OLd Bonzie will come from behind. At least I hope so.....LOL

Keep up the awesome work out there guys!

I have no doubt that the scoreboard will be littered soon with your contributions! Looking forward to hearing about the adventures soon!

I*B*CATCHIN
05-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Nice hali hunting gents

Badbeat
05-13-2013, 05:34 PM
The oldies but goodies are racking up the points. Wake up team juvies! :LOL:
Nice fish Bachiboy. :Thumbs Up: