PDA

View Full Version : 5-3-13 Balboa Pier

bigfishlittlefish
05-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Arrived at 10:30 AM. Baits: frozen mackerel I caught last year. Terminal tackle: 1oz. weight with 2 #8 snelled hooks. I did not expect much since I didn't see any sea lions, porpoises, nor pelicans.

First fish was caught by Robert: a real monster!40512

After catching another one, he decided that sightseeing with his wife, his mother-in-law, my wife and my daughter was more exciting than fishing. I decided to tough it out and was rewarded with 3 more of those monsters and 2 sand dabs. By the time the group returned from window shopping I had used up most of the macks so I used the ham luncheon meat in my sandwich. Who knew ham would be so popular with the fish! I caught 2 grunions with the ham. Kinda sorry day for fishing when the largest fishes caught were grunions.

I would have submitted more pictures, but I'm doing this on my new smart phone, and it seems I'm not smart enough to use it properly.:LOL:

fishshep
05-03-2013, 09:30 PM
They sell frozen bait, "Pismo Clams" etc. at the AM-PM across from Jack in the box.

BUT if you want the best bait, jig for live bait on right side of pier, about half way down :Wink:

bachiboy
05-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the report. Wow...I don't think I've set foot on that pier since the squid ran back in the 70's. Guess I'm showing my age.:Wink: Keep it up! Looking forward to hearing more.

Don

PTN
05-04-2013, 04:24 PM
At least you caught some fish even if they were small. :Smile: Could have tried throwing out those grunions on a hook and maybe get a predator fish lurking out there. Thanks for the report.

-Peter

murrieta angler
05-05-2013, 08:50 AM
At least you were fishing Bro!
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

Wingnut
05-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Big fish or no fish... as long as you had fun, it's all good. :Big Grin: