PDA

View Full Version : Winter Fishing Destination Help

Baseballer44
09-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Hey guys, I need some help planning a winter fishing trip. My dad and I are looking to plan a fishing trip over winter break and I don't know where to go. Should we head up north to Canada/Alaska or will that be too cold for salmon, lingcod, halibut, etc? Or should we go down to Mexico/Costa Rica or is that too cold for the tuna and yellowtail? Or should we just take a five day trip out of san diego for anything i dont know about? I just dont know anything about winter fishing patterns.

Any help would be awesome.

dirthead
09-11-2007, 10:41 PM
cabo is usually good around christmas time, can't speak for costa rica. we used to take boat down to cabo from nov. thru feb. fishing and weather excellent. alaska is a summertime thing.

Baseballer44
09-11-2007, 10:51 PM
cabo is usually good around christmas time, can't speak for costa rica. we used to take boat down to cabo from nov. thru feb. fishing and weather excellent. alaska is a summertime thing.

what kind of fish do they catch there in the winter?

sansou
09-12-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm envious of your plans! Sounds like a great time in the making.

I would pick up a copy of Western Outdoor News and scan through the advertisements (basically the whole publication is one big ad) and call up the operators directly. Many have local CA telephone numbers.

To me, that would be your best research tool for pricing/lodging and putting together the logistics of the trip.....besides wackos like me who would advocate winter trouting & ski in or around Vail Colorado....

Baseballer44
09-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Hey Sans,

Thanks, I will pick up a copy next time i head to fisherman's hardware.

As for Colorado, I dont do too well in snow. I have broken too many bones, and my baseball coach would murder me if he found out i was doing anything risky (because its impossible to be in colorado and not snowboard or ski). Besides, i have never been freshwater fishing before, and i dont want to start when i am putting my money down for it.

I guess I will just see if i can find the average water temp down south in the winter, and go someplace where it is fairly warm at that time to catch some yellows or something like that. Man, im getting myself excited! :D

Baseballer44
09-14-2007, 06:53 PM
any more advice guys? :?

valhalla_1_2000
09-14-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty sure there is nothing going on up in Alaska during the fishing months. Also, there are no 5 day trips out of San Diego during the winter months, they only do 10-18 day trips which are quite costly. However, they do have quite a few 2-day rock cod trips out of San Diego (out of both Seaforth and Fisherman's Landing, which can be a lot of fun). It's a good way to fill your freezer with Lingcod, Reds, and other assorted rockfish. Just check the schedules on the websites of the above-referenced landings to see what trips are scheduled for the dates you have in mind.

BBL2Baja
09-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Wintertime fishing in Alaska? You could always try to be next season's newest greenhorn on Deadliest Catch. That might be a bit too "risky" for your ballcoach though. :wink:

Baja Sur/East Cape is pretty good in the winter months. Dodos and yellows are active down there for the holidays. :D

Later,
Scott

ghetto dad
09-14-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm pretty sure there is nothing going on up in Alaska during the fishing months. Also, there are no 5 day trips out of San Diego during the winter months, they only do 10-18 day trips which are quite costly. However, they do have quite a few 2-day rock cod trips out of San Diego (out of both Seaforth and Fisherman's Landing, which can be a lot of fun). It's a good way to fill your freezer with Lingcod, Reds, and other assorted rockfish. Just check the schedules on the websites of the above-referenced landings to see what trips are scheduled for the dates you have in mind.

hey val, nothing goes on in alaska during the fishing months????/ LOL!!!