PDA

View Full Version : any good fishing area around me?

lunker-hunter209
04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
I live close to huntington beach and im new at shore fishing. Does anyone know any great spots for halibuts?

PTN
04-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Bolsa Chica Beach all the way to Seal Beach is your best bet. Caught them at all those beaches and in between before. BC inlet is popular for halibut.

lunker-hunter209
04-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Ok. So no on huntington beach.

vanillagurilla
04-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Huntington beach is good, just need to cover some sand an focus on structure.

PTN
04-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Ok. So no on huntington beach.

I never really tried HB so I couldn't tell you if it's productive for halibut. I wouldn't see why it would be that much different from the beaches close to it. But like vanillagurilla says, focus on structure. :Smile: Jetties, mouth inlets, etc.

FishNfry
05-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Lunker,

I live in the HB area as well. I just started surf fishing this past month and looking to gain some experience. I have been going to the BC Inlet a couple times this past week and up by Warner last week. Got some bites but haven't reeled anything in yet. I'll be hitting it up in the evenings and this weekend as well. Give me a shout if your down that way.

lunker-hunter209
05-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Yesterday and today I was fishing on HB. I took everyone advise and still I didn't catch a fish. What am I doing wrong? Is it bc the tide is low? All I used is lc lure.

vanillagurilla
05-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Fishing during low tide isn't the best time, usually around high tide but as long as it's not slack you have a chance. Judt because your using an lc doesn't mean your going to catch one, it takes time but you will get one. I've ben lots of days where I didn't catch anything and a few days where I caught all short butts and verrry few days wherw I take home more then one fish.

skunked4life
05-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Keep at it. You may or may not be doing anything wrong. To think that someone will give you intel on an area that produces halibuts and by using an LC you will catch a halibut is the only thing that you are misguided about right now. I have gotten valuable intel one day, went out the next, and caught nothing but a cold. It happens. It happens WAY more times than not. In fact, that is what makes it so much sweeter when you do land a big one.

I hate cliches, but it would be called catching and not fishing if you caught all of the time...something like that.

Believe me, the one is out there for you, and quite possibly many more.

lunker-hunter209
05-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys! Ill keep grinding! ! Do you guys know any other good fishing spot I can go to?

JL
05-04-2013, 10:48 AM
it has been several years but i never found much structure on HB compared to beaches further south and north. Go to the Surf fishing section and you all will get plenty of help. Just dig back through the 100's of posts Lots of info on technique and conditions. You won't find secret spots but most surf fisherman will give you the general location area. Tight Lines and God Bless

lunker-hunter209
05-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks jl I will do that.

smokehound
05-05-2013, 01:46 AM
I suggest you go poking around yourself and enjoy the unknown. You'll learn as you observe.

The thing is, different places are good at varying times of the day, one day a spot could be literally choked with sub-legal and legal halibut, stacking on top of each other, the next, barren with a few tiny halis, and stingrays everywhere.

It's very difficult to explain detecting structure from the surface, the easiest way I can explain it is by locating the 'calmer" areas in the surf.. A wave that suddenly disappears and reappears a second afterward is over a hole, a depression in the sand. These will be often crammed full of surfperch and croakers, and few halibut as well.

Sonnyyy
05-05-2013, 02:45 AM
Walk along the beaches and just keep tossing those bad boys out :)
I've been going to different location along hb seal beach lb. park and walk the beach is my personal best advise. Even if you don't catch anything you will get to know the area or they might just be your special ao

Good luck out there! I haven't caught my halibut yet, but I'm still trying. Waiting til the weather gets warmer!