PDA

View Full Version : Water dropping fase 4-29-13

prankster13
04-29-2013, 05:26 PM
I went to the lake today and had a so so outing, the bite I had Saturday was gone and I could only scrape up two small fish on a top water bait. I talked to the guys from MWD and they said that they are going to start dropping the lake dramatically soon, it is already lower than Saturday so I guess they already started. It is at least 2 ft. lower today. They didn't know if it was going to get as low as it did a few years ago when they had to extend the launch ramp but they did say it was going to be very low this year do to lack of rain fall this year. I still love DVL and I am sure the fish will adapt to the water level as it drops.

HawgZWylde
04-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Great, next our water bills will increase. It's not so much the drought as it is water deliveries being reduced due to the supposed damage to the Delta Smelt population. Supposedly the pumps kill the Smelt, but not the Striper? And since Stripey devastated the Shad population in many lakes, why wouldn't it be safe to assume they devoured the Smelt as well? After all,the Delta does have a huge Stripey population. As far as I know there has not been an official declaration of drought, yet. If the level is drawn down drastically like a few years ago, it will devastate the fishery like last time unless the Stripey population is way way down. Another 20ft would be ok, but I hope not much lower...

Ok, so who is going to start the ramp shuttle service for us old guys? When the lake is way down that hill is a long long hike after a full day of strenuous fishing...

...And how come ever since I commented about Lady Quagga and Asian hotties I now get an advertisement for an Asian dating service on my posts?

cutbait
04-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Great, next our water bills will increase. It's not so much the drought as it is water deliveries being reduced due to the supposed damage to the Delta Smelt population. Supposedly the pumps kill the Smelt, but not the Striper? And since Stripey devastated the Shad population in many lakes, why wouldn't it be safe to assume they devoured the Smelt as well? After all,the Delta does have a huge Stripey population. As far as I know there has not been an official declaration of drought, yet. If the level is drawn down drastically like a few years ago, it will devastate the fishery like last time unless the Stripey population is way way down. Another 20ft would be ok, but I hope not much lower...

Ok, so who is going to start the ramp shuttle service for us old guys? When the lake is way down that hill is a long long hike after a full day of strenuous fishing...

...And how come ever since I commented about Lady Quagga and Asian hotties I now get an advertisement for an Asian dating service on my posts?

It is indeed drought hear and with the reservoirs hitting the lows of 07 and 08.

Pete Marino
04-29-2013, 07:48 PM
I for one am glad they are bringing it down...I hope they lower it 30-40 ft.. I like the lake lower myself. I think it fishes much better...just my opinion.

Pete

HawgZWylde
04-29-2013, 08:13 PM
It is indeed drought hear and with the reservoirs hitting the lows of 07 and 08.

Ya, I know. The Tahoe Basin is at around 50% of normal snow-pack while the Walker Basin sits at around 70%. The big issue is still the Delta water deliveries being curtailed due to eco's and politics though...

HawgZWylde
04-29-2013, 08:16 PM
I for one am glad they are bringing it down...I hope they lower it 30-40 ft.. I like the lake lower myself. I think it fishes much better...just my opinion.

Pete

Agreed, as long as the Striper population isn't massive like before...

seal
04-30-2013, 08:59 AM

Selective pumps that only kill bait not striper? HawgZ I don't know who is selling that story! What lakes are you referring to that stripers have devastated the Shad at? The lakes I'm aware of that have stripers have the normal flunctuations in Shad populations, they have down years and they have up years, this is consistant with natural patterns. I'm not saying that stripey doesn't slaughter a lot of Shad but from my observations there always seems to be a correction period where the Shad rebound whether it's partially due to stripers or just nature.

HuskerRod
04-30-2013, 01:23 PM
high/ loe water....I still love DVL. It was fun when it was low, but it was also fun a few years back when it was way high

HawgZWylde
04-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Selective pumps that only kill bait not striper? HawgZ I don't know who is selling that story! What lakes are you referring to that stripers have devastated the Shad at? The lakes I'm aware of that have stripers have the normal flunctuations in Shad populations, they have down years and they have up years, this is consistant with natural patterns. I'm not saying that stripey doesn't slaughter a lot of Shad but from my observations there always seems to be a correction period where the Shad rebound whether it's partially due to stripers or just nature.

Seal, according to environmentalists, the Smelt were being killed by the pumps. But if that were true, then how do Stripers get through them ok? My bets are Stripey is the culprit. And it's a well known fact that the Shad population @ DVL was decimated by the massive Striper population during the draw-down a few years back. Actually all species in the lake suffered severe population reductions due to Mr. Stripey. Even Kwin acknowledged that fact here on FNN before he bailed. The rebound is occurring with LMB, but the Shad rebound is much much slower. We have metered very small balls of Shad, but nothing to write home about...

http://www.acwa.com/news/delta/water-supplies-curtailed-once-again-protect-delta-smelt

GdHkSet1
04-30-2013, 08:30 PM
I love trolling this area for stripey left side of marina cove heading out from the ramp area
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/GdHkSet/DV08DEC005-1.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/GdHkSet/media/DV08DEC005-1.jpg.html)

prankster13
04-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Here is a picture of the first cove to the west of the Marina I took Saturday, I'm going again tomorrow and I will take another photo to compare.40458

HawgZWylde
04-30-2013, 09:01 PM
I love trolling this area for stripey left side of marina cove heading out from the ramp area
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/GdHkSet/DV08DEC005-1.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/GdHkSet/media/DV08DEC005-1.jpg.html)

Lol, and I love bouncing jigs around those rocks for LMB. Haha, I have a lot of money invested feeding those rocks! I even have a rod and reel donated to the habitat just before those rocks. I like the humps in the background too...

seal
05-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Water going down would be a good time to search for those lost jigs and other treasures!

It's good to be at the top of the reservoir chain, Silverwood is way up:Big Grin:.

HawgZWylde
05-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Water going down would be a good time to search for those lost jigs and other treasures!

It's good to be at the top of the reservoir chain, Silverwood is way up:Big Grin:.

Lol, I already found the other rod and reel, my crankbait rod, I "donated" in January. I lost it a year ago January and found it a year later almost to the day I lost it. I cleaned it up and it works perfectly. The internals of the reel were like brand new. The rod suffered a little damage to the finish but hey, it works fine...

HawgZWylde
05-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Speaking of the dropping water levels, we watched an inboard Bayliner run aground yesterday. He was heading west towards bathroom cove at a pretty good speed. He attempted to go between the island and the point. There is a buoy there but the levels have dropped and the buoy hasn't been moved to reflect the shallower water. He managed to get himself off the rocks and it took awhile for him to get restarted. He then turned and headed straight back to the marina at a very slow speed as I'm sure he had prop damage. Not sure about the hull or whether he was taking on water. Be careful out there and do not cut points. As the water drops more, there will be a lot of shallow hazards that will bite you hard...

surfhard
05-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Lol, and I love bouncing jigs around those rocks for LMB. Haha, I have a lot of money invested feeding those rocks! I even have a rod and reel donated to the habitat just before those rocks. I like the humps in the background too...

We fished yesterday and it fished very well, water was down.. but like you, we donated a 300 dollar rig to the lake :( anyone accidently catches a Shimano CI4 red reel and rod, ill take it back thanks! lol.. my buddy fell in the lake and kicked it overboard :'( I almost want to go back next week and dive down and get it with a mask.

Stinkbait
05-01-2013, 11:17 AM
When the water was way down a few years ago, you know that long shallow point north shore just east of the saddle dam. The point was not buoyed. I went right over it and jacked the prop pretty good. Got the red light overheating signal on the outboard. GREAT LESSON TO LEARN IN A RENTAL! I wasn't charged and they knew the exact spot not buoyed.

You know the difference between a jeep and a rental car??? There is just some places you won't take a jeep.

Speaking of the dropping water levels, we watched an inboard Bayliner run aground yesterday. He was heading west towards bathroom cove at a pretty good speed. He attempted to go between the island and the point. There is a buoy there but the levels have dropped and the buoy hasn't been moved to reflect the shallower water. He managed to get himself off the rocks and it took awhile for him to get restarted. He then turned and headed straight back to the marina at a very slow speed as I'm sure he had prop damage. Not sure about the hull or whether he was taking on water. Be careful out there and do not cut points. As the water drops more, there will be a lot of shallow hazards that will bite you hard...

USCisbeast22
05-01-2013, 09:30 PM

ikr! perfect time to go hunting for some snagged lures...not too long ago i got a 6 in. spro