PDA

View Full Version : Fishing opener 2013

Joshua
04-29-2013, 09:54 AM
This was a much different year for me. My fishing companions werent the rowdy groups of males. I brought with me 2 of the coolest toughest SOBs on the planet and I love them to death (the last part in that sentence is true, first part NOT so true) I was thankful just to make it up 395 for some fishing. I thought we would stay in the valley and fish up to Big Pine. Instead of heading up on Friday and fishing our way to Bishop, We left at 3 AM on Saturday and stopped in Lone Pine. Grabbed breakfast and McDs and headed to Lone Pine creek. 40432
Fished the Sand Trap and landed a few. My daughter landed the first one. It was obvious it had been hammered the day before. I usually land 20 fish in this area in the same amount of time we caught 5 or 6. All on power worms or gulp worms. (PS Gulp worms are a joke, The dry out and fall apart. And once you open the jar, the liquid will leak out. Another money grab by Berkley, Power worms worked so well, they made a crappy more expensive replacement)
Ran up to Tuttle Creek for a couple fish.
Because my new version of the " Sierra Slayers " ( I just made that up and I like it) arent as experienced as my normal crew, we made multiple stops> Stopped in Independence to play on the swings and the slides. I did find the Independence Sand Trap, but didnt fish it. Went the Mt Whitney Hatchery. No fish in the raceways, just in the front pond. We then went to Warm Springs hatchery to feed the millions of fish.
Ran by Goodale Creek, that was running too low. So I made a deal with my Sierra Slayers that we would fish Taboose Creek instead. Taboose creek was full of people. Anywhere you could access the water, there were 2 people in it. We walked around the creek and got frustrated with crowds. What is the deal here will all the people. Hardly anyone at Goodale but Taboose was overcrowded.

My daughter loves the pet store in Bishop, so we made the run to Bishop to look at the puppies (they always have puppies) This worked out well because now we were getting closer to productive waters. I got us a room at the La Quinta (one advantage of traveling for work, I have enough points for free rooms at most major hotels). Ran across the street to check out Rainbow Days in Bishop. There was a nice stringer of browns that were all 3 lbs. I am calling BS on this stringer. I think somoone is raising these in a pond. This was my first time to check out Rainbow Days. Not alot of people, maybe we were late and missed the crowd?
Killed some time, got some food and convinced my crew to make a run up the hill. Off we went.
I made a straight shot for Manor Market for some ribs (they are pretty tasty) Then up to Bishop Middle fork, below Sabrina. 40433Wanted to fish some open areas that I know would have fish. We landed several at the pool below the road crossing. Running out of daylight, I rushed my kid threw each cast. I was a jerk. I wanted to teach her more about where to cast and watch the drift but wanted her to land some fish before we ran out of light. . She didnt care much, she just wanted to cast and catch. We were confined to a small area because of the other anglers. Once we caught and missed several others, we moved above the road. There were several men fishing there. My kid found a spot to cast and landed a fish on her first cast. I LOVE IT! :Neener Neener: These dopes were there for 45 minutes with nothing and this kid comes up and embarrasses them. This aint her first time to the rodeo. She is my secret weapon. People see a young girl and think nothing of it. Then she catches fish and dad has to come in to release them. Then we are in. It is like Obama's free housing. Once we are in, you cant get us out.

I fished very little this trip. Overall, we spent little time on the water. Maybe 5 hours total the entire day.
Weather was vey warm. With warm weather come mosquitos. They are out and big. Snow level is at about 11,000 ft.
I dont know how to rate the fishing because I didnt give it a solid effort.
Hands down my Best opener ever. The Sierra Slayers will be back next year. I have already cleared time off school for my daughter. We will be petting puppies and rippin lips.

The lil dude in the backpack is a pain in the butt at home but does better outdoors. His mother was happy I took him. He spent half the time pulling on my glasses/hat, 25 percent punching me in the head, sitting still for 15 percent, and slept for a little while. I am luckier than I deserve. I thank the Lord for what I have.
PS I have a younger son who stayed at home that proves vascetmoys dont work

KidTrout
04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Yea I just use mini jigs and power worms. To bad you couldn't fish more. Hopefully the weather will be better next year it was way to hot. At least you had a nice time with your kids.

ocampo82
04-29-2013, 06:03 PM
This was a much different year for me. My fishing companions werent the rowdy groups of males. I brought with me 2 of the coolest toughest SOBs on the planet and I love them to death (the last part in that sentence is true, first part NOT so true) I was thankful just to make it up 395 for some fishing. I thought we would stay in the valley and fish up to Big Pine. Instead of heading up on Friday and fishing our way to Bishop, We left at 3 AM on Saturday and stopped in Lone Pine. Grabbed breakfast and McDs and headed to Lone Pine creek. 40432
Fished the Sand Trap and landed a few. My daughter landed the first one. It was obvious it had been hammered the day before. I usually land 20 fish in this area in the same amount of time we caught 5 or 6. All on power worms or gulp worms. (PS Gulp worms are a joke, The dry out and fall apart. And once you open the jar, the liquid will leak out. Another money grab by Berkley, Power worms worked so well, they made a crappy more expensive replacement)
Ran up to Tuttle Creek for a couple fish.
Because my new version of the " Sierra Slayers " ( I just made that up and I like it) arent as experienced as my normal crew, we made multiple stops> Stopped in Independence to play on the swings and the slides. I did find the Independence Sand Trap, but didnt fish it. Went the Mt Whitney Hatchery. No fish in the raceways, just in the front pond. We then went to Warm Springs hatchery to feed the millions of fish.
Ran by Goodale Creek, that was running too low. So I made a deal with my Sierra Slayers that we would fish Taboose Creek instead. Taboose creek was full of people. Anywhere you could access the water, there were 2 people in it. We walked around the creek and got frustrated with crowds. What is the deal here will all the people. Hardly anyone at Goodale but Taboose was overcrowded.

My daughter loves the pet store in Bishop, so we made the run to Bishop to look at the puppies (they always have puppies) This worked out well because now we were getting closer to productive waters. I got us a room at the La Quinta (one advantage of traveling for work, I have enough points for free rooms at most major hotels). Ran across the street to check out Rainbow Days in Bishop. There was a nice stringer of browns that were all 3 lbs. I am calling BS on this stringer. I think somoone is raising these in a pond. This was my first time to check out Rainbow Days. Not alot of people, maybe we were late and missed the crowd?
Killed some time, got some food and convinced my crew to make a run up the hill. Off we went.
I made a straight shot for Manor Market for some ribs (they are pretty tasty) Then up to Bishop Middle fork, below Sabrina. 40433Wanted to fish some open areas that I know would have fish. We landed several at the pool below the road crossing. Running out of daylight, I rushed my kid threw each cast. I was a jerk. I wanted to teach her more about where to cast and watch the drift but wanted her to land some fish before we ran out of light. . She didnt care much, she just wanted to cast and catch. We were confined to a small area because of the other anglers. Once we caught and missed several others, we moved above the road. There were several men fishing there. My kid found a spot to cast and landed a fish on her first cast. I LOVE IT! :Neener Neener: These dopes were there for 45 minutes with nothing and this kid comes up and embarrasses them. This aint her first time to the rodeo. She is my secret weapon. People see a young girl and think nothing of it. Then she catches fish and dad has to come in to release them. Then we are in. It is like Obama's free housing. Once we are in, you cant get us out.

I fished very little this trip. Overall, we spent little time on the water. Maybe 5 hours total the entire day.
Weather was vey warm. With warm weather come mosquitos. They are out and big. Snow level is at about 11,000 ft.
I dont know how to rate the fishing because I didnt give it a solid effort.
Hands down my Best opener ever. The Sierra Slayers will be back next year. I have already cleared time off school for my daughter. We will be petting puppies and rippin lips.

The lil dude in the backpack is a pain in the butt at home but does better outdoors. His mother was happy I took him. He spent half the time pulling on my glasses/hat, 25 percent punching me in the head, sitting still for 15 percent, and slept for a little while. I am luckier than I deserve. I thank the Lord for what I have.
PS I have a younger son who stayed at home that proves vascetmoys dont work

DUDE! that pic of you and your boy is priceless; my pops used to take me and my sister several times/ year to the Sierras--some of the best memories of my life. I had a vasectomy a couple years ago...I must have had a horrid experience cause that procedure was painful. If mine did not work I would have went crazy! Aside from that Raiders avatar you're a good dude :p Good Luck next year!

billy b
04-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Who's holding the handsome lil fella in the first picture. Is that Bishop Creek?

I gotsta admire you toting around that extra weight ... wish I had the strength.

Joshua
04-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Who's holding the handsome lil fella in the first picture. Is that Bishop Creek?

I gotsta admire you toting around that extra weight ... wish I had the strength.
First foto is my daughter and son on Lone Pine Sand Trap
Second foto is my son and I on Bishop Creek Middle fork. Below Sabrina and just below the road that crosses Bishop Creek. Dude, my shoulders got a workout. As you can see in the foto, I can use the extra workout. I try to be the dad I never had, my kids get as much attention as I can give them. They have gone places that I couldnt even dream of when I was their age.

Fish Cop
05-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Enjoy those family moments and be as greedy with them as you can. My boy graduates from high school next month and I'll tell you, it goes way too quickly.

FSHNLIC
05-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks for sharing... these times spent with the kids are priceless!!! Way to enjoy the Eastern Sierras and getting em on some fish.... headn friday myself

Beancounter
05-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Great report dude!
I have to agree with FC, times like that go way too fast.
Keep up the good work Pops.
Nice to see you caught some fish too!

Joshua
05-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Great report dude!
I have to agree with FC, times like that go way too fast.
Keep up the good work Pops.
Nice to see you caught some fish too!
Without my kids, I wouldnt be alive. They are special and time waits for no man. I try to suck it up and remember as much as possible.
Hopefully, this will inspire others to reconnect with their kids (or parents). Fishing has that power.
"and she thinks we're just fishin" Trace Adkins