PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Light or Light action rods?

Fishingforlyfe
04-27-2013, 10:54 PM
I'm planning on getting a new rod for trout soon for next season... not sure if I should go Ultra light or just light action? Whats a good length as well and are two piece rods okay for longer rods? Because I don't see too many 1 piece long rods either...

Marley
04-28-2013, 12:51 AM
I have two rods that do the brunt of my trout catching. One is an old 5 1/2 foot Ugly Stick Lite that is unstoppable, the other is a 7 1/2 foot Daiwa Spinmatic. I wouldn't trade for either. I own a Phenix Elixir, too, nice little 5 1/2-foot ultra light job that does its fair share but it's not my favorite stick. You're fine with a two-piece rod, as long as it's 7 feet or better (probably SHOULD get a 2-piece of that length).
As for the action, ultra light of you're fishing plastics. Either one fine for bait, though I would still tend to lean to ultra light for that, too. An upside to the light action rod would be fun times with catfish when they're chewing.
Have fun shopping!

DynoDan
04-28-2013, 09:50 AM
How do you fish? B&w or lures or jigs or ...... I'm a b&w so I have 2 lite diawas. Also were lakes or rivers? That will effect the length of the rod.

Fishingforlyfe
04-28-2013, 12:37 PM
I fish regular bait like night crawlers or power bait... and i always fish in lakes too, ive heard 1 piece rods are overall in the long run better than 2 piece but they both work, its just i like the length of 2 piece rods but I can never find a 7ft one piece ultra light for example :/

Fishingforlyfe
04-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks, is your 7 1'2 foot spinmatic 2 piece?

Marley
04-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks, is your 7 1'2 foot spinmatic 2 piece?

It is. It will never have a reel that will pull more than a pound of drag so I'm not at all worried about the two-piece function. Plus, I can take it down into two pieces and not have to worry much about breaking it in the bed of my pickup or while busting through brush in getting to a spot to fish. ~$50 for a great rod.