PDA

View Full Version : Coachella Canal 04/26/13

db2437
04-27-2013, 10:27 AM
So I took my 9 year old out to the Coachella Canal yesterday after work to see if we could bring home some catfish for the fryer. Started fishing at drop 28 around 5:30 pm with no bites. Moved to a couple other spots and ended up catching one baby catfish at drop 27 on the down flow side. We were using corn on one pole and shrimp on the other. 14" leader and about 3/4 ounce weight. Don't know what the heck I was doing wrong but just could not get any good bites. Not looking for big fish just some 1 pounders to fry up. Guess I should have driven down to Calipatria. I remember when I was younger fishing the canals back when they were still mud banks and we used to catch a good number of small cats. Guess they are gone or I just suck. I did see a lot of Carp along the edges. Anyone got any advice? The last time I fished her about 10 years ago I caught 7 nice cats fishing the same way. We left about 9 PM cause the boy was tired.

fullstringer
04-27-2013, 04:25 PM
should have used night crawlers or chicken livers, you do know that from Desertaire dr.it is fenced all the way to Slab city? you may also try to fish near the ladders in the canal they seem to bunch up around them. good luck

db2437
04-27-2013, 10:17 PM
It was only gated on one side from Parkside Dr to drop 28. At drop 29 it is on both sides. I think I am gonna go out tomorrow and see if I can do any damage during the day.

db2437
04-28-2013, 11:07 AM
It was only gated on one side from Parkside Dr to drop 28. At drop 29 it is on both sides. I think I am gonna go out tomorrow and see if I can do any damage during the day.

I meant drop 27