PDA

View Full Version : Highway 38 To Be Shut Down For a Week

DarkShadow
04-26-2013, 08:41 PM
California 38 near Angelus Oaks will shut down for at least a week and perhaps several weeks after a tanker truck flipped over Friday, spilling 4,000 gallons of fuel onto the roadway and into a nearby creek that feeds into the Santa Ana River, authorities said. - http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-california-38-closure-may-last-weeks--20130426,0,5656576.story

Hey Skyler, you can't bleach that part of the stream this week. Abort mission.

GhettoBasster
04-27-2013, 07:08 AM
This is very bad news. I hope the fuel is able to be stopped before it hits the stream. I think something similar happened a couple of years ago. Is it that hard to design a a tanker that won't leak when it's tipped?

Viejo
04-27-2013, 09:04 AM
The jury is still out on whether it will or has reached the Santa Ana. Gasoline and diesal will have a long term and devasting effect on the entire drainage that will reocurr next fall should start getting rains again. Pretty much kills everything from the smallest food source all the way up to the mammals and birds that drink from it or depend on things that live in the creek to survive. Some of the more impacted parts of the creek will take years to get back to normal....if at all. The oil based products are an equal opportunity killers and both stocked and wild fish will be no more. It could mean the end of the wild fishery that has been a joy for those willing to work for it.

The tanker that rolled several years ago had the same problem...drivers driving too fast for the road conditions with tanks that were less then full.

carpanglerdude
04-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Do we know which tributary was affected? Any more on the actual location of the spill? Article wasn't too detailed.

fly addict
04-28-2013, 08:01 AM
The fuel ran into Cold Creek which feeds the SAR. Here is a link to more info.
http://www.sbsun.com/ci_23113122/highway-38-closed-from-angeuls-oaks-barton-flats

Skyler
04-29-2013, 09:19 AM
The fuel ran into Cold Creek which feeds the SAR. Here is a link to more info.
http://www.sbsun.com/ci_23113122/highway-38-closed-from-angeuls-oaks-barton-flats

This is getting old. They need to close that road to large commercial vehicles and make 'em all go up the 330. 38 is far too tight and winding for vehicles that long. Plus it is a single lane the whole way up and most of the turnouts are too small for a big rig. They have no reason to be up past Angelus Oaks unless they are delivering building supplies/equipment.

gogreeenz4
04-29-2013, 09:30 AM
This is getting old. They need to close that road to large commercial vehicles and make 'em all go up the 330. 38 is far too tight and winding for vehicles that long. Plus it is a single lane the whole way up and most of the turnouts are too small for a big rig. They have no reason to be up past Angelus Oaks unless they are delivering building supplies/equipment.

The residents of big bear need more then just building supplies and equipment (gas,grocery's etc) but what needs to happen is these trucks slow down and not worry about time or should i say the truck drivers boss's need to worry less about time and worry more about their drivers getting down the hill on all fours..

sumodnb
04-29-2013, 10:29 AM
The residents of big bear need more then just building supplies and equipment (gas,grocery's etc) but what needs to happen is these trucks slow down and not worry about time or should i say the truck drivers boss's need to worry less about time and worry more about their drivers getting down the hill on all fours..

As a former Fedex driver of 12 years I fully agree. Im so glad I don't have to put so many people in danger any longer for the good of the company, they don't care about safety AT ALL!! A job would be nice now (although empty weekdays at the lakes are great), but a clear conscience is golden.

gogreeenz4
04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
As a former Fedex driver of 12 years I fully agree. Im so glad I don't have to put so many people in danger any longer for the good of the company, they don't care about safety AT ALL!! A job would be nice now (although empty weekdays at the lakes are great), but a clear conscience is golden.

no offense to you but the mail trucks are the biggest example of how dangerous trucks drive this road!! its crazy how fast the ups/fedex guys go up and down that hill!!! i can even keep up in my V8 tundra if i wanted too :LOL:

Did you guys take heat from the boss if you dont whiz up and down that hill??

Skyler
04-30-2013, 09:52 AM

Highway 330 is a faster route to Big Bear, has larger/more turnouts, less tight turns, and has multiple passing lanes. Tell me again why a full size gas tanker needs to take Highway 38? Above Angelus Oaks, there are no stores or gas stations to speak of.

gogreeenz4
04-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Highway 330 is a faster route to Big Bear, has larger/more turnouts, less tight turns, and has multiple passing lanes. Tell me again why a full size gas tanker needs to take Highway 38? Above Angelus Oaks, there are no stores or gas stations to speak of.

the 38 is quicker to get to bear city which is were most of the residents (full timers) live.. and there is a ton of business that need supplies in the city.. i could understand why they would go down the moutnian on 38(less grade and traffic) but i agree they should take the 330 up..

Skyler
05-02-2013, 04:45 PM
the 38 is quicker to get to bear city which is were most of the residents (full timers) live.. and there is a ton of business that need supplies in the city.. i could understand why they would go down the moutnian on 38(less grade and traffic) but i agree they should take the 330 up..

I drive both routes almost weekly, and 330 is still faster, even to big bear city. On the 330, it takes me about 45 minutes to get from my house in San Bernardino to the east end by Stanfield. Hwy 38 takes well over an hour to get to Baldwin, due to having to take Greenspot or Lugonia for several miles before even starting up the hill. Then you still have to backtrack to get into Big Bear. As for the businesses, the majority of businesses up there are in the city of Big Bear lake, not Big Bear City. I don't think the 18 wheelers do door-to-door deliveries. But lets let the math decide:

33.8 miles from the Walmart in Highland to the Vons in east Big Bear via the 330.

47.2 miles from Lowes at the 5th street offramp in Highland to the Vons in east Big Bear via the 38.

The 330 has passing lanes, more turnouts, wider turns, and more straightaways, not to mention a more liberal speed limit, even 55 mph in some places. Not sure how you can get 47 miles on a tight winding single lane road faster than you could on 33 miles of mountain highway. Especially if you're stuck behind a big rig, he he he...

bowler
05-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I drive both routes almost weekly, and 330 is still faster, even to big bear city. On the 330, it takes me about 45 minutes to get from my house in San Bernardino to the east end by Stanfield. Hwy 38 takes well over an hour to get to Baldwin, due to having to take Greenspot or Lugonia for several miles before even starting up the hill. Then you still have to backtrack to get into Big Bear. As for the businesses, the majority of businesses up there are in the city of Big Bear lake, not Big Bear City. I don't think the 18 wheelers do door-to-door deliveries. But lets let the math decide:

33.8 miles from the Walmart in Highland to the Vons in east Big Bear via the 330.

47.2 miles from Lowes at the 5th street offramp in Highland to the Vons in east Big Bear via the 38.

The 330 has passing lanes, more turnouts, wider turns, and more straightaways, not to mention a more liberal speed limit, even 55 mph in some places. Not sure how you can get 47 miles on a tight winding single lane road faster than you could on 33 miles of mountain highway. Especially if you're stuck behind a big rig, he he he...
the speed limit on all two lane highways is 55 mph unless posted. It takes me from my house to my parents cabin in big bear less then two hours. that is using the 38. I will take the 38 any day over the 18. the 18 has to many curves.

Skyler
05-02-2013, 08:58 PM
the speed limit on all two lane highways is 55 mph unless posted. It takes me from my house to my parents cabin in big bear less then two hours. that is using the 38. I will take the 38 any day over the 18. the 18 has to many curves.

The 18 doesn't take you directly to Big bear. It takes you up to crestline first, then follows the mountain, when you could have just stayed on the 210 and cut that entire 30 minutes down to 5. I'd take the 38 as well over the 18. But the 330 is way faster than either.

bowler
05-02-2013, 10:22 PM
The 18 doesn't take you directly to Big bear. It takes you up to crestline first, then follows the mountain, when you could have just stayed on the 210 and cut that entire 30 minutes down to 5. I'd take the 38 as well over the 18. But the 330 is way faster than either.
but the 330 does not take you in to big bear too. you still have to take the 18 to get to big bear. plus my parents cabin is off the 38.

DarkShadow
05-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Skyler is a direct descendent of Rand McNally.

Skyler
05-06-2013, 03:14 PM
but the 330 does not take you in to big bear too. you still have to take the 18 to get to big bear. plus my parents cabin is off the 38.

From Running Springs up, yes, it becomes the 18. But cutting up the 330 takes a lot off the total mileage. You only have to take 18 through Snow Valley and around the Arctic Circle and you are there.

Skyler
05-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Skyler is a direct descendent of Rand McNally.

Google maps calls me when they're lost.