PDA

View Full Version : Braided line that will last?

fishermanx14
04-26-2013, 05:51 PM
I heard that braid will last a while if you take care of it and make shure you don't keep it in the sun.
I am getting my new big bait reel and i wanna throw some 65lb braid on it and i want to know which color fades the least? I don't want some while line after 2 or 3 months of fishing......so what color fades the least and how long will a spool on braid last on my reel?

Thanks,
Christian

cutbait
04-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Braid starts and ends with power pro.

2 things you can do to prolong.

After the green fades. You can take a marks a lot marker and cut a slit with a razor blade and "recolor" the line.

I personally don't. Lots do.

2nd is after it discolors or you don't feel comfortable with the wear you can unspool it and respool from opposite end. Giving you the fresh end and new color.

I literally use my power pro 3-4 times a week and using this method get two years, at least well into the second season

jerkbait
04-26-2013, 07:08 PM
cutbait pretty much sumed it up

fishermanx14
04-26-2013, 10:32 PM
thanks man, how bad do red and black fade?

bman90278
04-27-2013, 01:52 PM
KVD Line Conditioner helps eliminate color fade.
I'm also another fan of PPro braid.

-b

Daryl
04-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Braid lasts a long time. I prefer white power pro for all my salt water rigs. The white helps visibility when your trying to stay in front of your bait on a long drift. It doesn't fade, but I imagine that it could stain if you fish dirty water. I've had a few reels spooled up with green power pro and while it does fade, it doesn't seem to affect its performance.

gogreeenz4
04-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Braid lasts a long time. I prefer white power pro for all my salt water rigs. The white helps visibility when your trying to stay in front of your bait on a long drift. It doesn't fade, but I imagine that it could stain if you fish dirty water. I've had a few reels spooled up with green power pro and while it does fade, it doesn't seem to affect its performance.

GOGreeen hahahahaha i use the green and like cutbait said i do the flip or respool it and i have been using my same 65 # powerpro since october/November..every braid will fade its the nature of the beast but i really dont mind the color the green power pro fades into to it looks half decent... you could always run mono or fluro if you are worried about the fade...

Skyler
04-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Another vote for Power Pro.

Big Country
04-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Told you so knucklehead

xjdesertfox
04-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Im not a fan of power pro. The coating they put on the spectra bugs the hell out of me.

I use izor.

fishermanx14
04-30-2013, 10:13 PM
thanks everyone....if you didnt know im getting a big bait reel and am either going to load it up with 50 or 60lb powerpro and use a 30lb mono leader or just go straight 35lb mono.....think i am going to sick with braid

xjdesertfox
05-01-2013, 01:26 AM
what types of swimbaits are you throwing? 50lbs powerpro wont last on a big bait rod, if you backlash youll launch your swimbait across the lake. 30-35lbs mono is absolutely unnecessary and will just hurt your chances of getting bit. And you dont want mono on a lure where you have to impart lots of action like a punker, and you dont want braid on something that the bass get a long time to look at, like a bottom bouncing hudd.

gogreeenz4
05-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Im not a fan of power pro. The coating they put on the spectra bugs the hell out of me.

I use izor.

have you tried the super 8 slick braid power pro makes??

thanks everyone....if you didnt know im getting a big bait reel and am either going to load it up with 50 or 60lb powerpro and use a 30lb mono leader or just go straight 35lb mono.....think i am going to sick with braid

if your gonna go braid go 65 or more!! youll thank me when you dont see a $100 bait flying into the middle of the lake...
i dont know what baits your planning on tossing but i wouldnt go above 25 pound mono (i throw my 250's and bigger baits on 25 # and my Hudds and smaller baits on 20#) maxima greeenz is a strong line and will hold up just fine and if you are gonna run braid put a topshot of 20 - 25 pound fluro ( 8-10 feet of it at least)

Little fun fact Butch brown tosses his 250's on 15# mono (granite it doesnt matter if he losses them :LOL:)

Lady Quagga
05-01-2013, 12:34 PM

if your gonna go braid go 65 or more!! youll thank me when you dont see a $100 bait flying into the middle of the lake...
i dont know what baits your planning on tossing but i wouldnt go above 25 pound mono (i throw my 250's and bigger baits on 25 # and my Hudds and smaller baits on 20#) maxima greeenz is a strong line and will hold up just fine and if you are gonna run braid put a topshot of 20 - 25 pound fluro ( 8-10 feet of it at least)

Little fun fact Butch brown tosses his 250's on 15# mono (granite it doesnt matter if he losses them :LOL:)

Granite? Do you mean Granted?

fishermanx14
05-01-2013, 12:46 PM
what types of swimbaits are you throwing? 50lbs powerpro wont last on a big bait rod, if you backlash youll launch your swimbait across the lake. 30-35lbs mono is absolutely unnecessary and will just hurt your chances of getting bit. And you dont want mono on a lure where you have to impart lots of action like a punker, and you dont want braid on something that the bass get a long time to look at, like a bottom bouncing hudd.

hudds, bbz's, lunker punkers, and maybe some big 12in AC plugs

fishermanx14
05-01-2013, 12:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raz7qH-bFPo......sound all to familiar to me........lol

fishermanx14
05-01-2013, 12:48 PM
and im mostly throwing for big 0-50+ lb striper not lmb for the most part.....and most of the time i will be fishing strong current

gogreeenz4
05-01-2013, 12:57 PM
and im mostly throwing for big 0-50+ lb striper not lmb for the most part.....and most of the time i will be fishing strong current

run 80 lb braid with a 25-30 topshot of fluro.. id say mono is a no go for you becuase you wont be able to squeeze enough 30 + pound mono to fight 50 pound stripies in current..but get out there and try it all and find what suites you best.. Good luck look forward to some massive striper reports

Granite? Do you mean Granted?

Thanks for keeping my vocab on point..Sorry boys and girls i meant GRANTED

fishermanx14
05-01-2013, 01:09 PM
run 80 lb braid with a 25-30 topshot of fluro.. id say mono is a no go for you becuase you wont be able to squeeze enough 30 + pound mono to fight 50 pound stripies in current..but get out there and try it all and find what suites you best.. Good luck look forward to some massive striper reports

Thanks for keeping my vocab on point..Sorry boys and girls i meant GRANTED

thanks a lot man hahaha and it might be a while before a catch a pig......i still have a lot to learn....i can fit a good amount of 80lb on my reel right? the line cap is Line Capacity: 14/245
Braid Capacity: 30/330

gogreeenz4
05-01-2013, 01:34 PM
thanks a lot man hahaha and it might be a while before a catch a pig......i still have a lot to learn....i can fit a good amount of 80lb on my reel right? the line cap is Line Capacity: 14/245
Braid Capacity: 30/330

well 80 # braid has a diameter close to 18 pound mono so you could probly get about 200-220 yards of 80 on that reel and as for mono you could probly get about 100-120 yards of 30 pound (depending on line )

but give this link a look at http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2/info/powerpro_superline.html it explains diameters ..

We ALL still have a lot to learn and the learning process will never end unfortanly :LOL: keep confident in your baits and abilitys and learn from every chance you get to fish and oh yeah HAVE FUN!!

fishermanx14
05-01-2013, 01:44 PM
thanks again

gogreeenz4
05-01-2013, 01:47 PM
thanks again

no doubt dude im happy to help! thats what FNN is for.. good luck out there my man! i fish blythe and parker all the time ill shoot you a pm next time i head out to the CO river and we can sync up and go find some fish

fishermanx14
05-01-2013, 01:51 PM
sounds good