PDA

View Full Version : newbie going out to the beach tomorrow could use some help :-)

steves86ta
04-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Hi Guys,
Im relatively new to fishing, been doing Freshwater for about a year or so. I have gone “deep sea” fishing one time on a daveys locker charter.

I am planning to head out to either Long beach or Newport tomorrow. ( I wanted to post earlier but had to wait for my account to be approved).Now I like I said I am new to this and don’t have much experience (neither do my dad or uncle that are coming with) here is what I have bought and what I think my setup will be:
A couple of spinning “boat rods” these are fairly big and spooled with 15lb and 25lb line
1/0, 2/0, 3/0 and 4/0 “live bait” hooks
Some ¾-2.0 ounce sinkers.
Frozen squid
Now the plan is to take my boat out (about 19 foot tri hull with a 115 horse Johnson). I will not go out far, really don’t plan on going out past the breakwall. I do have a fish finder (lowrance elite-4x)
Since you guys are the experts, where would you recommend going out of? Long beach, san pedro, Newport? Where to go roughly? I plan on buying some bait from one of the floating barges.

Thank you for any tips or help you can provide!
Steve