PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back! Big Bear Lake 4-20/ 4-22

paDDy
04-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Headed up after work Sat night to BBL with my GF and the dogs. This was my first time fishing bbl. My gf took me here for the first time for my b-day two weeks ago and I fell in love. The weather was blown out so we didn't fish but was already planning another trip back up. Two of my friends were up there Sat and blanked out on the trout. Sunday me and the boys went out trying to get them some redemption on the trout. We left the girls to go to the dog beach (pull up bar was awesome). We got a late start at 10 or so. Heard the north shore was the place so we shot across the lake and started trolling that area. My FF died before we even got there so we were kind of fishing blind. Trolled firetiger rapalas on top and needlefish in various colors 3-4 colors down. We got one before I had to drop them off to head back home. Dropped them off at the dog beach where the girls been all day. I had lunch and a cocktail and headed out with my gf and the dogs. She was a bit buzzed so I we just trolled back to the ramp. On the way she snagged a carp. Thought she had a pig of a trout.

Next Day Monday we got another late start at about 11 this time. I picked up a battery at Kmart so we weren't fishing in the dark so much. Focused on fishing the trout triangle today. Trolled night crawlers behind the flasher was getting bit decent, but the Mack lure was what they wanted. I only had one and we broke it on a monster trout right at the boat 3rd fish in. My fault as I was not using snubbers. Water was 54. Fished a few hours and headed back to the dog beach for lunch and let the dogs run a bit. While there chillin' on the beach with great BBQ and a yummy cocktail I talked my gf into staying another night. My work was not to happy.

Tuesday wake up at 8 and look out the window and it's blowing. White caps all over the lake and it's early. Disappointed I start breaking down the gear and loading the boat. Check out of the Big Bear Frontier witch was a great room and great price that allows dogs. Headed into town and had lunch at the Teddy Bear Restaurant (very good). By now it's 11 and I wanted to shore fish. Got back down to the lake and it looked fishable from the boat. Rigged the gear and headed out. I only had a few hours to fish as my GF had a client at 8. I metered quite a bit of fish off the observatory. Today they wanted the night crawler behind the flasher. We got 4 fish in about two hours or so and headed back in. This is such a beautiful area and so close to home I can't believe I been missing it. No more Irvine, got my annual pass. Already planning to go back. If your a carp guy this lake is loaded with them. Kill em' all!

billy b
04-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Beautiful fish ... typical of BBL ... they do have nice fish! What's a "Mack" lure ... jes curious

Thanks for the report ... don't let the weather bother you ... you'll have better days

paDDy
04-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Beautiful fish ... typical of BBL ... they do have nice fish! What's a "Mack" lure ... jes curious

Thanks for the report ... don't let the weather bother you ... you'll have better days

Here is that Mack lure.

diamondbear
04-25-2013, 09:56 AM
GREAT Report Paddy , NICE fish ! Big Bear lk. is such an addiction the full tails of these holdover fight all the way to the boat , and the red meat taste soo good . The area you caught the carp is were I snagged one last week , ha The east end loads up with weeds so keeping lines clear is a problem some times . Fishing in the wind isnt fun but alot of times it'll break wide open when the wind blows . What I ve noticed with alot of guys trolling the lk. is when they hook up and bring there fish in they just keep on going without turning around and working the area they jusy caught there fish at . Every couple of weeks you'll kinda have to tweak your depth or offering to findem . Seeya up there sometime , thanks for sharing . // db

JAG107
04-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the report, I agree BBL can be a refreshing change of pace from the lakes down the hill, especially as the summer sets in, Glad you got some action and were able to rid the lake of a carp! Good to know that wedding ring works, I'll have to try one sometime.

Calicanuck
04-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Nice Report, guess I better take the boat out and give it a try.

troutdog
04-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Great report PaDDY, nice to see you on the board....we were just talking about the OG Pirates the other day. Keep the reports coming!

TD

TroutOnly
04-26-2013, 11:41 PM
NICE TROUT PATRICK ,IVE MISSED YOU AND YOURE GANG,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,

paDDy
04-27-2013, 09:27 AM
NICE TROUT PATRICK ,IVE MISSED YOU AND YOURE GANG,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,

Were all still around still fishing. I will be more active on this board as I been taking from it since getting back into fresh more. Keep killing BOB see u on the water.

billy b
04-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Here is that Mack lure.

Thanks for the help ... and not thanks for costing me more money ... I needed more tackle ;>) ... sigh

I also heard that lure called a wedding ring I believe ...FYI