PDA

View Full Version : Getting off the bank on a budget. Targeting bass.

jicasiano
04-24-2013, 09:51 AM
I wish I could afford a $30,000 bass rig, but that will never be the case. I'm tired of fishing off the bank of city lakes and would like to expand my horizon and fish bigger lakes like the Castaic Lagoon, Pudd or Irvine for bass of course. I have very little money. Do you guys recommend a float tube or one of those 2 man boats like the basshunter/bassraider or maybe an inflatable boat. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

gogreeenz4
04-24-2013, 10:01 AM
I wish I could afford a $30,000 bass rig, but that will never be the case. I'm tired of fishing off the bank of city lakes and would like to expand my horizon and fish bigger lakes like the Castaic Lagoon, Pudd or Irvine for bass of course. I have very little money. Do you guys recommend a float tube or one of those 2 man boats like the basshunter/bassraider or maybe an inflatable boat. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

id recommend a tube if money is tight but id recommend a one man pontoon with a trolling motor over the basshunter/bassraider.. one man pontoon and a 30 or 45 pound thrust trolling motor would be killer!!

riverside_angler
04-24-2013, 10:05 AM
First off, I'm sorry that you are selling yourself short by stating that you will "never" be able to afford a 30k bass rig. Secondly, interest rates are pretty low for boats right now. I understand that a bass boat may not be at the top of the priority list, but in reality, it may not be that far (or impossible) from happening.

Ex: $25,000 boat, 4.8% interest, 10 year term = $262/month; 15 year term- $195/month
30k boat at 10yrs = 315/month
40k at 10 years = 420/month

By the way, there are lots of choices of boats out there and lots of people looking to get rid of them. They may not be bass boats, but they will definitely get you off the shore and will be better than a float tube and/or a 2 man boat.

Good Luck!!!!

EbonBetta
04-24-2013, 10:20 AM
I take offense to the selling your self short statmment.
While I was not the o/p.
In this day and age many can not afford to put money into a 25k investment esp if they have NO Place to keep it.
We all do not have homes. Or homes with space to store boats.
For example. I'm disabled and unemployable. I live in a trailer that I keep on blm property and space is
a big issue thats why I'm getting a float tube myself.

bassgrabber1
04-24-2013, 10:30 AM
While I was not the o/p.
In this day and age many can not afford to put money into a 25k investment esp if they have NO Place to keep it.
For example. I'm disabled and unemployable. I live in a trailer that I keep on blm property and space is
Well by what you are saying then i would go with a 1 man pontoon or float tube.

gogreeenz4
04-24-2013, 11:00 AM
While I was not the o/p.

I agree i think the selling your self short comment was alittle uncalled for!! who knows maybe he doesnt want the hassle, or problems a boat can come with... You know there is other reason to not be able to have a boat other then money right?? for instatnce space could be an issue maybe he doesnt have a truck or vehicle that could tow a vessel its not all about money

reservoir dog
04-24-2013, 11:24 AM

You have a few options but it all depends on your budget and how much you're willing to spend. Keep in mind you will also need to purchase accessories as well.

- float tube
- inflatable raft/pontoon with trolling motor
- kayak
- small aluminum jon boat

You have have to consider your budget vs. how often will you be using this watercraft. No sense in spending an arm and a leg if you're just hitting the lake once or twice a year. Just like yourself I started a shore fisherman and have previously owned a pontoon then kayaks and now I'm boat shopping. Good luck with your purchase!

5150fishn
04-24-2013, 01:42 PM
I don't believe Riverside_Angler was trying to insult the OP. It seemed more like an informed pep talk to me. Anyway, figure out what best meats your needs and space constraints and then don't be in a hurry to make a purchase. Watch for deals either new or used. Check Craigslist often. Good Luck!

riverside_angler
04-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks 5150- I was not trying to be offensive. I think there are some uber sensitive people on this site who are just looking to start drama. Note that the OP stated he didn't think he'd ever be able to AFFORD a 30k boat. NOT whether he had a place to store it, maintain it, whether or not he was employable, whether or not he has hands to steer it, yada yada yada.

The point of my response is that it is not always as "expensive" as it may seem to make a purchase...especially for something that you are passionate about. Sometimes it takes a little sacrifice, for example; Trade in the cost of smokes, beer, lap dances and just like that you have a nice rig.

Anyhow bman. good luck on getting off the shore and sorry for jacking your thread!

DEVOREFLYER
04-24-2013, 06:08 PM
The cost of boat ownership that most do not realize or take into consideration begins after the purchase. Boat registration, trailer license and property taxes on the boat each year are only the beginning. A comprehensive insurance policy is a must much like automobile insurance and in cost. Maintenance costs and parts on a boat are only dwarfed by an aircraft. A yearly or one hundred hour service on a high performance boat will cost $600 or more. My bass boat chugs 18.2 gallons of gas an hour at wide open throttle, 6.5 gallons at 35 miles per hour. Oil is over $40 per gallon. Your boat will require a much higher capacity and much more expensive battery than your car, my bass boat has three batteries some boats have four. If you do not have a place to park your boat outdoor or indoor storage can add another $50 to $200 per month depending on location.

If you are only going to fish once a month it will be much cheaper to rent a boat, cheaper yet if you have a fishing partner to share costs. Remember BOAT is short for “Break Out Another Thousand”.

Reservoir dog nails it with:
- float tube
- inflatable raft/pontoon with trolling motor
- kayak
- small aluminum jon boat

flybynight
04-24-2013, 08:55 PM
BOAT,
Bring ON Another Thousand....I know I have had 7 boats, had fun with them but almost went BROKE keeping them in shape. :LOL:

jicasiano
04-24-2013, 09:09 PM
BOAT,
Bring ON Another Thousand....I know I have had 7 boats, had fun with them but almost went BROKE keeping them in shape. :LOL:

Thanks for the replies! But isn't it true that when the boat is less complicated there's less that can break. So I was thinking maybe an old 80's Bass Tracker with an old 2 stroke. Something simple. Maybe even an old skiff with a deck. I wanna fish off the boat maybe twice a month.

dixoncider
04-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Old boat does not mean it will be cheaper.. That being said---- I sold my 87 bass tracker and it was a great boat. Perfect rig to start with...You can find them around all day long in the 3K range...

gogreeenz4
04-25-2013, 08:51 AM

Im about to put my 10 foot bass tracker up for grabs in the next few days for 1000 bucks (fish finder, 4 Hp Mercury, 30 lbs thrust Minn kota and carpet decks, Gas tank, Two camo seats, two camo life vest, and oar)

AnglerBob
04-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Remember many local lakes have restrictions on engine type, hull length, etc., some of which read like a chapter out of the U.S. tax code. Getting off the bank is great, but you'll want to be sure you can access your favorite waters—and maybe hit some new ones.

tomar19
04-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Remember many local lakes have restrictions on engine type, hull length, etc., some of which read like a chapter out of the U.S. tax code. Getting off the bank is great, but you'll want to be sure you can access your favorite waters—and maybe hit some new ones.

This is a great point. Read all of the local water regs before you make a decision. I went the kayak route to got off the bank. Some only allow sit on top yaks, while others only allow sit inside, and some will not let a yak or tube out at all. I'd love to take my sot yak to DVL, but only sit insides are allowed there. I learned this after buying my sot yak.

flyhigh123
04-29-2013, 05:13 PM
i think the most important question was missed and has not been asked:

What is your budget?

From there, we can then give suggestions.

jicasiano
04-30-2013, 02:20 PM
No more than a few thousand .

DEVOREFLYER
04-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Here is an option and appears within your range.
Should not last long at that price.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?72660-Bass-Tracker-10-Foot-Jon-Boat

flyhigh123
04-30-2013, 03:41 PM
No more than a few thousand .

if its really a few, ie 2, there are tons of options. craigslist will always have a good deal in the 2k range. keep an eye out and you can find some great boats.

reservoir dog
04-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Here's one from Craigslist and it's only $500 which comes with a trailer and motor.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/boa/3768392175.html