PDA

View Full Version : Ice at Sabrina or South Lake for Opener????

Calicanuck
04-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Hey guys, I was hoping to try ice fishing this year at the Trout opener. I am having trouble finding any reports stating whether there is ice or not on these lakes. If someone knows if there will be ice fishing up there this weekend please let me know, I'd love to go and get some footage!

Thanks
Calicanuck

KidTrout
04-23-2013, 03:32 PM
From what I hear there is none. It's been 60-70 degrees up there every day. Someone told me there isn't even any on little Virginia and that almost 10,000 ft up. I will find out when I go up there this Friday.

Eat Sleep Fish
04-23-2013, 04:56 PM
NO ICE FISHING this year at Sabrina and South Lake. Sabrina is ice free and super low. South Lake has a thin layer of ice not safe enough to walk on but there is some open water towards the back. We need snow this coming winter, lots of it, if there's gonna be any ice fishing next year....

Sierra_Smitty
04-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Ice fishing is a no-go for opener at South Lake. The lake is still 95% iced over but the ice is suuuuuper sketchy. Probably not the best place to start your opening day at with limited open water and no ice fishing. Sabrina is a better choice - should be ice free by this weekend if not already.

Sierrally,
Jared Smith
GM Parchers Resort & South Lake Boat Landing

Eat Sleep Fish
04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Heyoo Jared! Looks like we both just gave the same report at the same time...You get the credit though since I was just quoting reports you've been putting up lately hahaha

Btw I'll be up there this Thursday-Sunday

- Andre

Sierra_Smitty
04-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Heyoo Jared! Looks like we both just gave the same report at the same time...You get the credit though since I was just quoting reports you've been putting up lately hahaha

Btw I'll be up there this Thursday-Sunday

- Andre

Hahaha,....nice! See you this weekend!

KidTrout
04-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Ice fishing is a no-go for opener at South Lake. The lake is still 95% iced over but the ice is suuuuuper sketchy. Probably not the best place to start your opening day at with limited open water and no ice fishing. Sabrina is a better choice - should be ice free by this weekend if not already.

Sierrally,
Jared Smith
GM Parchers Resort & South Lake Boat Landing

Know anything about ice on little Virginia?

Calicanuck
04-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Wow Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it. I kind of though the ice might be slim with all the warm weather. I guess maybe I'll just wait till the crowds are gone to come up after the opener.

Sierra_Smitty
04-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Know anything about ice on little Virginia?

I haven't heard but Rock Creek Lake is already starting to ice out so I have to expect the Virginias to be in the same boat since they're about the same elevation. If there is ice, I can't imagine it would be safe.

billy b
04-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Heard the Virginias were ice free ... from some posts on one of the boards ... maybe here

sierraslam
04-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Just saw pics of Rock Creek Lake taken 2 days ago. It will be almost ice free by Saturday.

pc2mac
04-25-2013, 04:09 PM
They said the the road to Virginia Lakes is closed due to road work.