PDA

View Full Version : Corona Lake 4-18-13

mjc89
04-21-2013, 10:22 PM
So one of my neighbors and I went out to corona Thursday afternoon to get some lightning trout. We got in line at 4:45pm and there was already about 6 or 7 cars. At 5:00pm they let us in and we set up shortly. It was pretty crowded at the spot we set up but there was room. We casted out our rods and it was a waiting game. I could see a few people catching some nice size lightning trout and we weren't even getting a bite. We had powerbait and night crawlers out but they just didn't want them. So I threw out some micetails instead. Then around 6:30pm I got the first bite and I hooked um. It gave me a pretty nice fight and some guy helped me net it. It was a nice size lightning trout that I estimated to be between 6 and 8 lbs.. Then my neighbor got a bite and he caught another lightning which was a little smaller than mine but still a nice one. After that it was pretty calm and it started getting dark so I decided to throw out the cat pole. After a few minutes I get a hit on the cat pole and I go to set the hook but I pulled it out of its mouth. DANG! Oh well so I casted out again and within a few minutes I get another bite and set the hook. This time I did get um and brought it in. Was a small blue cat maybe 1 1/2 lbs. Then my cat pole gets hit again and its another blue cat this one around 3 lbs. My neighbor kept getting hits on hit cat pole but he kept missing them. The cat bite then shut down the rest of the night. All of a sudden my trout pole gets slammed and I grab it to set the hook. This thing felt heavy so I just let him do his thing. Id let him take line then id start reeling line in. Finally after a few minutes I start bringing him in and get him close to shore. We could see it was a long fish but he was pretty tired. So my neighbor went to net him and it didn't fit in the net sideways. His head finally went in the net and my neighbor brought him out. We were both in shock. This thing was huge and when it moved in the net a little the hook just came out. Well after I put it on a stringer I threw out my trout pole again and had a few more hits and I ended up hooking up one more trout around 1 1/2 lbs. That was the last fish of the night so we decided to leave and stop by the bait shop to weigh the lightning and the super trout. As I was walking toward the scale one of the workers says "I see a big tail". I was like yeah and pulled him out and put him on the scale. The super trout weighed in at 15 1/2 lbs. and the lightning weighed in at 7 lbs. My previous biggest trout was 10 lbs. which makes this my new personal best trout.

StonedFisherman
04-22-2013, 12:12 AM
congrats on the toads.... that was one day to remember!!!

mjc89
04-22-2013, 04:49 PM
congrats on the toads.... that was one day to remember!!!

Thanks man. Sure was.

Kelster
04-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Those were some NICE fish. Friday and Saturday provided more of the same.

mjc89
04-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Those were some NICE fish. Friday and Saturday provided more of the same.

They sure were. Glad to hear that people on the weekend also did well.

ben0606
04-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Nice very nice.......headed back to corona next month, ready for some catfishing

Sonnyyy
05-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Beautiful catch!