PDA

View Full Version : 4/17 DVL Report

Stinkbait
04-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Ended up with one of the Lund rentals Wed. Strong motor, but a cork in the water.
The high barometric pressure conditions and wind made the fishing difficult. Fished a few coves on the north side for nada. The high pressure definitely jacked the bite and the pre and post fish were outside in 15 feet of water or deeper.

Moved west and fished towards the saddle dam. On either side out side of the point with a cove near by is where the fish where. More gradual sloping areas. They were not on mud at all. Had to resort to the d-shot as it was getting skunky. Went to a darker color as I was fishing deeper. The light chocolate with blue vein was money. Ended up with 4 fish to 2.5 lbs before the saddle dam.

Worked my way back and upped the bait size. Mag shaky head zoom (7"??) TR'd in the green weeny purple vein, no fleck, more subtle, but dark enough to be seen in deeper water. Got on a pattern on the intermediate gradual sloping shorelines. Not coves and not off extreme points. Caught two on the way back to the dock in these areas up to 3.5 lbs. Then the wind came and there went my pattern in the cork Lund, on and off the motor, worried about getting flipped around and pushed on shore in a few secs. Futile to try sheltered cove water....no numbers.

These last two fish were fun. Bite, feel trees, turn the turner, pull hard! Definitely educated fish. All the fish were perfect footballs almost unmarked and perfect specimens. Dark fish coming from the deep.

AnglerBob
04-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Nice report. We were out the same day with similar results, although your decision to go deep paid off with the bigger fish which we didn't encounter. Even the small DVL bass sure fight hard though.

Stinkbait
04-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Nice report. We were out the same day with similar results, although your decision to go deep paid off with the bigger fish which we didn't encounter. Even the small DVL bass sure fight hard though.

Burned a lot of the morning shallow wondering what the hell was going on. Thought it may have been the new reel lube contaminating everything. Sunscreen and reel lube bad bad bad!