PDA

View Full Version : Catfish?

Travis K
04-18-2013, 12:18 PM
I saw a post in this section where a guy was slaying the catfish. Can anyone let me know if I can catch some catfish from the limited shoreline access. The standard for catfish is treble hook and chicken liver. I am guessing that would be my best shot. Has anyone been catching cats lately?

Brandoncrow123
04-20-2013, 08:29 AM
I saw a post in this section where a guy was slaying the catfish. Can anyone let me know if I can catch some catfish from the limited shoreline access. The standard for catfish is treble hook and chicken liver. I am guessing that would be my best shot. Has anyone been catching cats lately?

I've been fishing for the cats for the last month and a half. I haven't had a single bit yet. I've been shore fishing as well. They should be coming up any time now.

I can say with complete honesty, that just about anywhere in that lake where there is brush or rocks, you'll find catfish. From the shore fishing areas:

To the left of the store, where the stacked up boulders turn into dirt/ slate is a good spot. It's a pretty definitive line. Look for it and you'll see where I'm talking about. To the right of the boat dock. I've caught quite a few cats there during the summer. Cove three is good for cat fishing.

IT has been hard. I haven't had a bite yet. The cold weather lately has kept them deep. If you rent a boat, I'd try the wave attenuator, and the inlet tower.

and I don't use a treble hook out there. The chicken liver never stays on. I use these : http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-CatMaxx-Baitholder-Hook/product/100094/

They hold chicken liver waaaay better than a stupid treble hook, the fish practically hook themselves with this hook, and it's super strong. I also don't use any weight at all in this lake. Every time I use weight, I snap off from the rocks.

Good luck, let me know how you do. I will be there this afternoon trying to hook up on the cats.

OHHHHH one last thing, I've caught 2 or 3 times as many catfish in that lake AFTER one in the afternoon. Don't ask my why. I don't know.

GdHkSet1
04-22-2013, 05:24 PM
TK,
I cant say much for this year been pretty busy over the weekends to go for cats, but last April DV was pushing out some nice kitties on fresh mack
I write temp, location, time, and depth on just about everything I catch, last year the water was warmer wear I was baiting down-we use 6/0 circles
and chunks from 28-70'. DV can be rewarding just about anywhere for blues and channels, stay in the fight-I cant wait to find some time this month
to go for the attack. See you out there I'm in a white bathtub looking crestliner.

Travis K
04-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info. As far as chicken liver falling off treble hooks comment. I have some "ghostline", very fine thread. I used it to tie on the chicken livers. It works really well for keeping bait on a hook. Nevertheless i fished all day last saturday without even a bite. Left of the bait shop all the way to the dam and then just past the rocks you mentioned. I agree with you about weights. I was using heavy weight to cast as far as i could, but of course i was snagged every single cast. I was extemely frustrated. I will try to use no wieghts as you suggested. I just like to cast for. How do you manage casting with no wieghts? I tried using chicken livers nad cut mackrels but no luck. Ill keep in the fight, I really want some phat KITTIES

HuskerRod
04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Memorial DAy weekend a few years back I slayed the cats. My top 10 cats went 116 pounds...all released. Anothr guy had something like 228 pounds for his top 10. I believe the water is still a bit too cold for prime time. However, I did find some 69 degree water on the south side of the lake. It seems over the years when it was really good I could see piles of cats up in the shallows just by sight fishing. The biggest I ever caught was a 16 pounder and the biggfest I eyeballed was about a 25 pounder with a bunch of five or os pound males huddled around her begging for her services.

Brandoncrow123
04-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the info. As far as chicken liver falling off treble hooks comment. I have some "ghostline", very fine thread. I used it to tie on the chicken livers. It works really well for keeping bait on a hook. Nevertheless i fished all day last saturday without even a bite. Left of the bait shop all the way to the dam and then just past the rocks you mentioned. I agree with you about weights. I was using heavy weight to cast as far as i could, but of course i was snagged every single cast. I was extemely frustrated. I will try to use no wieghts as you suggested. I just like to cast for. How do you manage casting with no wieghts? I tried using chicken livers nad cut mackrels but no luck. Ill keep in the fight, I really want some phat KITTIES

You don't necessarily have to cast out very far. Most of the time, I make it +/- 20' from the shore when I cast with no weight. Use a full piece of chicken liver or mackeral. Your weight is your bait. I think both my poles have 25lb test line on them, so it's not easy to cast them. just make sure they hit bottom before you close the bail.

I didn't make it out last weekend, and I probably won't make it back to DVL until the weekend of May 11th. I've got turkey hunting to do this weekend and camping the next weekend.

Good luck. If you get any cats give us a heads up. If you don't, don't feel bad. Everything I learned about catfishing elsewhere, doesn't work in this lake. (Who catfishes without weight? Who doesn't want to fling their line75' away from shore?) It seriously took me two years of trying before I started to catch them. I don't know why they aren't out yet either. Maybe we can meet up out there in May and try to get some fish.

Brandoncrow123
04-24-2013, 03:12 PM
unless you can make it this afternoon for about 2 hrs. I can be there at four.

Brandoncrow123
04-24-2013, 06:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOX9j6JGlA

I tried this with pantyhose once. They wouldn't bite it. I think they could taste the chemicals. I might try it this way.