PDA

View Full Version : LBC recon 4/16

Tubbytuba
04-17-2013, 10:50 AM
I apologize but I have been so busy that my two trips to the sand this year never made on the boards, I got pretty sad, hit Huntington twice, nailed a bunch of perch in march and on my second trip I got skunked, then watched a guy pull a 26 inch legal out of the hole I had been fishing all day when he had been on the beach for about ten minutes. same LC, same tactics, just didn’t get him. It happens but man I got a little discouraged. I decided it was time to get serious about finding a legal halibut, and I started doing some reconnaissance with google maps, looking for good AOs with more consistency than Huntington beach. So I started plotting points on a map and decided my first spot would be a test run of my new maps, a recon of the LBC based off of my searches on Google maps. I know its not an original spot but I wanted to find specific holes on the maps to search.

I found a few, printed out the maps and headed up there. Got to the first spot on the Belmont shore at around 7, paramount pictures was shooting a car chase near second street and it was crazy getting there but I did. I hit my spots with an LC for about an hour, I had just spooled my quantum lefty casting real with 20lb braid and I loved its casting ability and sensitivity. Then I get a nasty back lash, the LC hit the water hard and something hit my offering. I didn’t really panic, this braid stuff is really tough and I figured this fish would just spit the bait since I wasn’t planning on setting the hook. Well it freaks, pulls the line tight, maybe hooks him self??? And now the line is tight, easy, ill real him, and not lose my 15 dollar LC, first crank and pop! :Shocked: The line broke at the spool, I couldn’t believe it I was so mad and I had no idea why it had happened. I assume it was a calico, they pull like freight trains in the first few moments of a fight, or maybe I accidently snagged that midget sub that japan lost at pearl harbor. I just laughed, ive had such hard luck while fishing recently that it was just hilarious to me.

So I start throwing a gulp 5 inch fluke as a drop shot and was rewarded within 3 casts with a short butt, my first of the year! I knew he was short, didn’t measure him , probably 16 inches and my first fish on a surf drop shot. I hit that spot a little more, than went mobile to my next hole, and got hit again shortly after that, this one went on a short run and was a ton of fun on my crappie pole. I knew he was short too but he was snarled in my lines, so I set my rod down, it had measurement markings on it, and he measured 20ish, a pb from the sand (it’s a sad pb for sure but still…) :Big Grin: 40203

I stayed a little while and witnessed a guy pull in 3 super dink pancakes at round 1200 hours from the jetty, and his CnR was really bad (fingers in the gill slits, a non CnR net which is a death sentence for most fish let alone for halis and their sensitive tail) guarantee those fish died. Oh well, it was good to put a butt on the sand for the first time this year, and this trip was very informative. These fish were just outside the small breakers, on a drop off, and stopped biting when the waves get rougher. I knew this stuff before but there is nothing like hands on experience to put this puzzle together.

still looking for that first legal from the sand...

Good Hunting

bachiboy
04-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Hey TT,

Don't feel too bad about someone following you over a spot and nailing a legal after you worked it over thoroughly...Wingnut does that to Bones all the time!:EyePop::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Nice going on the pancakes. Your legal will come soon, I'm sure.

I have a theory about the braid popping on you...and mind you, this is just my personal opinion. Braid can cut skin a lot easier than mono, which guys that fish tuna can EASILY attest to. I'm sure it does the same to itself in a backlash. When you backlash, it can cause nicks in the braid which eventually sever. I lost quite of few of my LCs when testing with straight braid/short topshots on my baitcaster, I think for this very reason. You should see how fast braid can cut a 2" anchor rope...which I've seen wahoo fishing down south on long range trips. Just something to be careful of when using it and when yanking on the line when taking out a backlash. If you keep yanking on that line while the loop holding the backlash in is tight, it's like running a saw blade against that one point of the loop...it's gonna weaken that spot. You hooked that "sub" and it probably had a nick in the line that gave way. This happens with mono too, but doesn't seem to happen as easily. There's been a few times that my line parted after a cast and I had to splice the two broken ends on the spot. Hope that helps for the future.

Congrats on your first flatties of the year, still looking for mine! :Wink:
Don

Tubbytuba
04-17-2013, 03:57 PM
thanks bachiboy, that made sense. never thought of it cutting its self haha. scouting a new AO on google maps for tomorrow, i just loaded up some top shot onto my real. it hurts when you lose a 15 dollar lure... oh well thats fishing

hope you get some flatties of the 22 inch verity soon!

Good Hunting

fishshep
04-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Crazy thing about LBC is that yeah, they are there, yet seems 90% of the catches are shorts,

untill you get a Legal. :Rolls Eyes: Although SP Dan caught a 25-plus one in the same month I must have caught

50 plus Pancakes and no legal, so you never know ? That is a good area you found, when you can hit it

on the most favorable low !!! :Smile:

SP Dan
04-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Hi ya Tubbytuba,

"CONGRATULATIONS" on your first beached Halibut so far this year! WTG!!

fishshep is 100% correct about that area .... I'll bet we lip hooked over a hundred pancakes+ between the both of our efforts last year .... "heck" ... I've beached eleven pancakes in a single 2 1/2 hour session there ... but when I pulled that 31" Halibut out of the hat ... "WOW" ... it made it all worth the while!

That area is a little picky about it's tidal fishing windows ..... but Poseidon may have a treat for you!

Thanx for the fish report!

SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
04-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Congrats on the 2 flatties from the sand!
What Bachiboy said, could very well be true, braid is very rough to everything it touches.
Why not just go with mono?
Most people use it and catch alot of fish....jus saying...:Wink:
Keep up the work and that legal will come in no time.:Big Grin:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

dlmoo312
04-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Congrats on the halis! LBC is notorious for short butts but where there are shorts.. there are bound to be legals:Wink:
Sorry to hear about the lc. Braid backlashes can be nasty, but a thicker diameter braid might help.
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel