PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance HDS with structure scan option

AZ.Kid
04-16-2013, 08:45 PM
looking at upgrading the FF and wanted to get some opinions on the HDS with structure scan from people who have one or have used one.
is the structure scan worth the additional $$ ? do you like using it or hardly use it? I appreciate any opinions you might have also just on the HDS by it self.

Thanks,

bassgrabber1
04-17-2013, 07:53 AM
looking at upgrading the FF and wanted to get some opinions on the HDS with structure scan from people who have one or have used one.
is the structure scan worth the additional $$ ? do you like using it or hardly use it? I appreciate any opinions you might have also just on the HDS by it self.

Thanks,
I have HDS units and opted for no structure scan since most of my friends with it don't use it and I have never needed it....my opinion.

shinbob
04-17-2013, 08:50 AM
I've been wondering the same thing myself, only for the Humminbird Side Scans. Hopefully a lot of people chime in on this.

I'm guessing that it might not be as great a benefit for the typical steep-sided SoCal reservoirs, since it really isn't a great mystery where the fish usually are. As opposed to lakes elsewhere that aren't so deep and have a lot more hidden potentially fishy areas.

DEVOREFLYER
04-17-2013, 10:05 AM
I have a Lowrance HDS unit in the dash of my bass boat and chose not to have the side scan. I purchased today a Lowrance Elite 7 to put on the bow with sonar and down scan imaging. I feel down scan is more valuable than side scan in the waters that I fish. Besides you have to be underway for the best results of side scan. I find that GPS and maps on my HDS unit serve the searching for humps and points work just fine. The down scan will show structure and bait and can even be overlaid on the standard sonar with the Lowrance Elite 7 unit. As I already have GPS and mapping on my HDS unit I purchased the Lowrance Elite 7x unit with sonar and down imaging only. The unit cost less than $500 from an internet supplier.

Bassnman Mike
04-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Me personally, I love mine! I have 2 Gen 1 HDS-8 units and the LSS-1 Structure scan all networked together. The detail is awesome, its almost like an underwater camera.
I did a couple write ups but really dont feel like retyping it all. I'm not sure if they will allow the link or not so if the links dont appear them PM me and I'll hook ya up.
HDS-8-1 (http://bassnman.com/boating/lowrance-hds-8-and-structure-scan/)HDS-8-2 (http://bassnman.com/fishing-tips/lake-isabella-trip/)