PDA

View Full Version : Catalina 4/14 - Wrong Color

webmaster
04-15-2013, 04:53 PM
I went to Catalina for a shot at white seabass this weekend but ended up catching a black instead.

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/tmp/bsb1.jpg

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/tmp/bsb2.jpg

I got it on #30 test with live squid in 80ft. of water. She had suffered barotrauma when I got her up and her bladder was coming out of her mouth. She was floating and couldn't swim back down. I didn't have a fish descender on board but I had a homemade grappling hook that I made to retrieve lost lobster nets. I wrapped the rope around her head and the weight of the hook (about 5 pounds) started slowly sinking her back down. After about 20 feet I could feel her kicking and sinking faster and about 50 feet she started kicking and freed herself from the rope. Sorry for the lack of pictures but I didn't want to waste time in getting her released safely.

We didn't catch any WSB but we did get a nice variety of calicos, whitefish, perch, sharks and bat rays. We also caught about 50 pieces of squid the night before. They weren't very big, but obviously big enough to catch a big fish! Things are looking up at the island. Hopefully I'll get my wsb soon...

DockRat
04-16-2013, 05:25 AM
Good job on the release. Things should be turning on soon.
Better bring Eric or Fishbones for good luck next time, LOL.
DR

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-16-2013, 05:59 PM
ohhhh yeah brutha....brings me back to our Dana point trip.....freakin HAWG ! I know those battless FREIGHT TRAIN ! especially on 30#

nice work.......we need to speak soon about getting out on that trip we spoke of a few weeks backs.....maybe the currents and tides will swing in our favor...

Congrats !

Gary

Fishbones
04-16-2013, 10:10 PM
blacks fight harder and longer anyways, too bad we cant eat them, keep at it Jeff, Good luck.

E.A.R.G.
04-17-2013, 12:09 AM
hot dayum that time of the year again!!!

Which Way Out
04-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Great news to hear about the successful release.
Just last year I caught one for the first time ever. Not nearly as big as that one, but never the less its fantastic to see one now and then.

WWO

bachiboy
04-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Great job on the CPR! No extra photos needed...the story paints the picture and says it all.:Wink:

Don

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-17-2013, 12:15 PM
ps jeff....WHAT KIND OF SHARKS ? what class? Ahhhhh Yes....again reminicing about that shark day we had a while back....

Still want to also take a Shark specific trip out to the island looking for those huge Makos...

Really sounds like a good time out there....Congrats again....

I can already taste the eggs cooking in the morning from an overnight trip out : )

E.A.R.G.
04-18-2013, 11:03 AM
It is too bad Eric wasn't there for better luck, but I did catch the two White fish and the Opel Eye, and the three sand dabs, and paid my share of the adventure...
Batteries on the camera were dead and it was getting a bit stress full as you can see. But alas, Jeff's Smart phone was able to take the pictures! Maybe next time!

I'm with you guys in spirit. Should be back in the west coast for a couple weeks in the summer. slay we shall!

Moz2121
04-18-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm with you guys in spirit. Should be back in the west coast for a couple weeks in the summer. slay we shall!

i found 2 white seabass in Erics bath tub once, no joke.

5150fishn
04-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Sounds like a great trip even though no WSB. Excellent job on the improvised decending and release of the BSB! Thanks for the report and pic.

TroutOnly
04-18-2013, 05:49 PM
STILL A BADASS CATCH ,I WAS LOOKING FOR THE BANANA SHOT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,

E.A.R.G.
04-19-2013, 03:22 AM
i found 2 white seabass in Erics bath tub once, no joke.

hahahahahahaha

Wingnut
04-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Damn, that's a big *** fish... well done Jeff! :Big Grin:

DockRat
04-27-2013, 06:27 AM
STILL A BADASS CATCH ,I WAS LOOKING FOR THE BANANA SHOT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,

# 5 for you Bob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWoHxBESjk