PDA

View Full Version : double anchoring question

flyhigh123
04-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I currently use a danforth anchor on the bow and a 15lb mushroom anchor on the stern.

It seems that the mushroom anchor doesn't hold that well and i'm still slipping and slidding around when there is some wind. Do you guys think i should use 2 danforth's?

I was hoping that the weight of the mushroom would keep my stern from moving around.

any tips would be appreciated.

thanks

IN2DEEP
04-15-2013, 08:00 PM
2 Danforths
One of the problems with double anchoring at a lake is the shifting winds so both need to hold equally well.
I never bothered double anchoring in the salt

muskyman
04-16-2013, 12:53 AM
You need plenty of chain on each danforth, heavy guage, 3-5 feet and by doing this with both danforths, you will set much better.
And be sure to let out plenty of line before setting to get a good angle so they will dig in.

fishincrave
04-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Fishinone is pretty damn good at double anchoring seen it with my own eyes maybe he should chime in on this

Sean

TroutOnly
04-22-2013, 12:45 PM
more weight,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cadillyak
04-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Do you have anchor chains attached to your anchors?

flyhigh123
04-22-2013, 05:54 PM
i do have chain on the danforth, around 10 feet of heavy gauge.

TO, i'll give the more weight another try this weekend and if not, i'll change it out. If only i could find stones as large as yours :D

I've seen you with a weight disk, so maybe i'll try that.

fishfinder
04-23-2013, 07:15 PM
mushroom anchors suck. only good for small boqats in 10' of water with little wind. we used to use them in minnesota.

MarkyMark
05-15-2013, 12:34 PM
i do have chain on the danforth, around 10 feet of heavy gauge.

TO, i'll give the more weight another try this weekend and if not, i'll change it out. If only i could find stones as large as yours :D

I've seen you with a weight disk, so maybe i'll try that.

Any update on anchoring problems?

MM

flyhigh123
05-15-2013, 12:59 PM
i returned the mushroom anchor and went with 2 danforth's. 1 big one small. Both have chain rope.

I've been successful and have not been blown off a point yet. The issue with pyramid is that the wind changes directions all the time. So I anchor one off the bow and one off the stern. I first make sure my bow is set really well. I then back the boat out away from the anchor as far as I can and then drop my second anchor off the stern. I then make sure that the 2nd anchor is set tight. then i bring in the slack on both sides until i am over the right depth. It has worked well for me. I make sure both anchors are set real tight before doing anything else. Make sure you have lots of line for this as the scope is important.

if the wind is consistent in one direction and i have room to the left and right, i have tried to double anchor in a V position off the bow but there is a little more swing in that.

MarkyMark
05-15-2013, 02:23 PM
i returned the mushroom anchor and went with 2 danforth's. 1 big one small. Both have chain rope.

I've been successful and have not been blown off a point yet. The issue with pyramid is that the wind changes directions all the time. So I anchor one off the bow and one off the stern. I first make sure my bow is set really well. I then back the boat out away from the anchor as far as I can and then drop my second anchor off the stern. I then make sure that the 2nd anchor is set tight. then i bring in the slack on both sides until i am over the right depth. It has worked well for me. I make sure both anchors are set real tight before doing anything else. Make sure you have lots of line for this as the scope is important.

if the wind is consistent in one direction and i have room to the left and right, i have tried to double anchor in a V position off the bow but there is a little more swing in that.

Interesting. Do you get any swing from anchoring 2 danforths? I ve seen boats the same type/size as mine anchor from the bow and fish from the stern..looks like thery're getting little to no swing...

flyhigh123
05-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Interesting. Do you get any swing from anchoring 2 danforths? I ve seen boats the same type/size as mine anchor from the bow and fish from the stern..looks like thery're getting little to no swing...

when i anchor from both bow and stern, i get very little swing. if the wind starts to blow, the swing is normally the stretch in the rope. it'll move a little more side to side, but not more than 5-10 feet.

swinging from 60-70 feet is a big difference on my bite when fishing at the mid. not sure if its in my head, but if you think about it, 10 feet in depth is a lot and the mid gets steep real quick.

fishinone
05-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Fishinone is pretty damn good at double anchoring seen it with my own eyes maybe he should chime in on this

Sean

Thank you for the vote of confidence Sean. Where have you been?

I like Chene anchors best but they cost too much/ Right now I'm using a Danforth and a Navy anchor with long chain (10ft at least) on both.

I try to anchor so that there's no swing. Of course I almost always get some swing.

I use 600' ropes and try to make sure both anchor lines are angled no more than 30 degrees from bottom. This allows me to adjust my position by loosening one anchor and tightening the other. I keep pulling tight until I can't get any more rope. If you can pull the anchor loose by hand the wind will pull it loose easily by swinging the boat until it hits the slack line, so you might as well pull it tighter.

When I can, I choose a spot on shore for one of the anchors that way i don't have to pull it up from the deep and I know it's in a spot where it will hold.

I agree with T/O, weight works, especially if it's in the chain.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/IMAG0441_zps94db210b.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/IMAG0441_zps94db210b.jpg.html)
What T/O says about anchoring goes!

MarkyMark
05-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Thank you for the vote of confidence Sean. Where have you been?

I like Chene anchors best but they cost too much/ Right now I'm using a Danforth and a Navy anchor with long chain (10ft at least) on both.

I try to anchor so that there's no swing. Of course I almost always get some swing.

I use 600' ropes and try to make sure both anchor lines are angled no more than 30 degrees from bottom. This allows me to adjust my position by loosening one anchor and tightening the other. I keep pulling tight until I can't get any more rope. If you can pull the anchor loose by hand the wind will pull it loose easily by swinging the boat until it hits the slack line, so you might as well pull it tighter.

When I can, I choose a spot on shore for one of the anchors that way i don't have to pull it up from the deep and I know it's in a spot where it will hold.

I agree with T/O, weight works, especially if it's in the chain.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/IMAG0441_zps94db210b.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/IMAG0441_zps94db210b.jpg.html)
What T/O says about anchoring goes!

LOL..He da man!

Just trying to picture the shore anchor technique in my head...dumb question, but would that be from the bow or stern 1st ? Does it matter?

fishinone
05-16-2013, 08:16 AM
LOL..He da man!

Just trying to picture the shore anchor technique in my head...dumb question, but would that be from the bow or stern 1st ? Does it matter?

I point the bow into the wind. That's usually with the stern toward the bank.

CAPT'N
05-17-2013, 03:41 AM
Nobody does it better than Ron!

fishinone
05-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Fishinone,

I have a 600ft spool of the rope, but am afraid to use it. It looks thin & a pain in the butt to retrieve. Anyway, do you use a chain on your anchors?

Thanks

Hey MarkyMark,

Your mailbox is full.

I keep a pair of work gloves in the boat for messing with the rope.

The rope that I got at harbor freight was marked 900 lb breaking strength. I don't know about that, but it is very strong. I use at least 10ft of chain sometimes 15 ft, heavier is better. I buy the harbor freight Truckers Chains and cut them in half.

The chain keeps the anchor down and helps keep the rope off of the rocks. I don't think that I've had my rope cut on the rocks but I have been in a boat when it happened to regular anchor rope.

Where are you planning to fish?

MarkyMark
05-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Hey MarkyMark,

Your mailbox is full.

I keep a pair of work gloves in the boat for messing with the rope.

The rope that I got at harbor freight was marked 900 lb breaking strength. I don't know about that, but it is very strong. I use at least 10ft of chain sometimes 15 ft, heavier is better. I buy the harbor freight Truckers Chains and cut them in half.

The chain keeps the anchor down and helps keep the rope off of the rocks. I don't think that I've had my rope cut on the rocks but I have been in a boat when it happened to regular anchor rope.

Where are you planning to fish?

mailbox cleared..I fish the same waters as you..just looking for field tested opinions on the rope.

flyhigh123
05-27-2013, 11:01 PM
i am swapping out my front anchor to a bruce claw anchor and the rear anchor to a danforth. i hope that this is the best combo for my needs.

fishmounter
05-28-2013, 11:17 AM
You need to make yourself a couple of "Henshaw" anchors, which is nothing more than a 1 gallon rectangular can filled with cement and having 4 one foot long pieces of rebar going thru it: Two at the top and two at the bottom. Bend a steel rod and have it go down into the can (before you pour the cement) at the top for a handle and to also tie your rope to. . If it will hold you in the wind on Lake Henshaw's muddy bottom, it will hold you anywhere!