PDA

View Full Version : Is there really a difference between the gold and bronze treble hooks for trout?

chindofoo
04-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Is there really a difference between the gold size 14-18 treble hooks and the bronze hooks for trout fishing? I know the gold hooks are made with real gold, big whoop but does it really matter? Honestly?

KILLA
04-15-2013, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't use treble hooks at all. Just a single salmon egg hook works just as good and they are easier to remove once the fish has been landed

ogrich31
04-15-2013, 01:04 PM
I think the gold ones are stronger. But honestly, the bronze ones are strong enough. I use the bronze ones mainly because they are lighter. That means if you're using powerbait, it'll take less of it for the powerbait to float.

DarkShadow
04-15-2013, 01:18 PM
I know the gold hooks are made with real gold...

Seriously?

Real gold?!

Poxy Boggards
04-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Seriously?

Real gold?!

Yeah, LOL don't think the gold ones are made with real gold...If so they would be way too soft, and expensive...

gogreeenz4
04-15-2013, 03:10 PM
BAHAHAHAhAhAHAha:LOL: real gold!!! man oh man

reservoir dog
04-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Would that be 14, 18 or 24K? Personally I like to use platinum hooks with a diamond cut as part of my arsenal LOL! Real gold hooks...damn, now I'm curious to know what type of rod and reel you're using. So that's how you roll...:Thumbs Up:

DarkShadow
04-15-2013, 04:17 PM
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7756/lure.JPG (http://most-expensive.net/fishing-lure)

fishinarteest
04-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Wait! so not everybody uses fishing rods made of solid diamond, and hooks of ruby. So i guess no one is really using platinum bass boats either huh.

chindofoo
04-15-2013, 11:29 PM
The gold treble hooks are made with real gold! This is not a joke. Here's the proof: read the box for yourself on the link below, "24 ct gold". Or go to your local tackle store and read the package for yourself, on the package it says made with real 24 ct gold. So if the bronze hooks are lighter than the gold, what good are gold hooks for. If anyone can explain why there are so many gold treble hooks for trout on the market, you are the winner.

http://gobstock.com/mustad-s-treble-hook-gold-size-12-fish-hooks-5-pack.html

Just a single salmon egg hook instead of the treble hooks sounds like a good idea, are you sure they work just as good as the treble hooks for powerbait? Im going to test this theory on my next outing.

Knives
04-16-2013, 06:45 AM
I honestly think this is a mistake by the website. I believe they mis-read the label and mistook "24 count , gold" for "24 karat gold"

skunked4life
04-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Ok, here is my answer:

You are correct. They are "real gold." Actually, they are "real gold" plated. Gold is extremely malleable and can be pounded out extremely thin. They use the ultra-thin plating on the hooks for them to be more rust free. That is pretty much it. If there are incidental benefits such as them being lighter or more shiny, well, that may be a benefit worth noting too.

A bit of advice though, when you post a picture of your proof that your claim is substantiated, make sure you examine it. The picture of the packaging clearly states in the specifications section right below it that the hooks are "gold plated." This is simply not the same as "real gold" as one normally understands it. Gold is around 1,375 to 1,400 dollars an ounce. I do not know the weight of these hooks, but if they were pure gold, they would not be selling at $2 a pack. Also, as a veteran member pointed out, gold is extremely soft and malleable. If these were pure gold, they would be a poor choice in hook material.

Hope this answers your question. Now go out there and catch yourself a gold(en) trout!

chindofoo
04-16-2013, 08:18 AM
I honestly think this is a mistake by the website. I believe they mis-read the label and mistook "24 count , gold" for "24 karat gold"

if you check the labeling again, you will see that there is a qty (quantity) of 25. the "24 ct. gold" appears after that. And this is just one example, there are many other brands that have the gold plated "24 karat" labeling.

http://gobstock.com/mustad-s-treble-hook-gold-size-12-fish-hooks-5-pack.html

chindofoo
04-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Ok, here is my answer:

You are correct. They are "real gold." Actually, they are "real gold" plated. Gold is extremely malleable and can be pounded out extremely thin. They use the ultra-thin plating on the hooks for them to be more rust free. That is pretty much it. If there are incidental benefits such as them being lighter or more shiny, well, that may be a benefit worth noting too.

A bit of advice though, when you post a picture of your proof that your claim is substantiated, make sure you examine it. The picture of the packaging clearly states in the specifications section right below it that the hooks are "gold plated." This is simply not the same as "real gold" as one normally understands it. Gold is around 1,375 to 1,400 dollars an ounce. I do not know the weight of these hooks, but if they were pure gold, they would not be selling at $2 a pack. Also, as a veteran member pointed out, gold is extremely soft and malleable. If these were pure gold, they would be a poor choice in hook material.

Hope this answers your question. Now go out there and catch yourself a gold(en) trout!

I feel so fly Im gona use a 24 karat gold plated treble hook to catch me a golden trout from the golden state (which is the state fish of CA no doubt). :LOL: :Fishing Catch:

That's what I thought about the hooks being rust free, but then I thought: why are the gold plated hooks seemingly only available in size 14-18. Why haven't we seen gold plated other style hooks?

Poxy Boggards
04-16-2013, 11:02 AM
I stand corrected. They really are gold plated...

billy b
04-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Some people posted on this board that brass is safer when you release fish with the hook inside of them ... I don't have any facts ... ???

chindofoo
04-16-2013, 11:41 AM
The fact that many people laughed and made fun of the idea of there being gold hooks adds to my original point, that gold hooks are freakin ridiculous, so appalled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JztZETJ4SaQ

Socal Bassman
04-16-2013, 01:00 PM
For me there is a huge difference. Somehow I catch more fish using the bronze ones than the gold ones.

Knives
04-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Maybe bronze looks more natural?

chindofoo
04-17-2013, 10:34 PM
The consensus seems to be that bronze hooks are better than gold hooks. There are many questions in life that one may never know the answer to. One such question is, why are there 24 karat gold plated treble hooks for trout? The mystery continues....

jimbo1
05-13-2013, 01:05 PM
i only use the gold plated treble hooks. For one, when you put two salmon eggs on a treble hook the one, uncovered gold hook actually attracts the trout better.
I thought bashing the guy who thought the hooks were pure gold was awesome! I like to use my platnum/titanium rod/reel combo when I use my all gold hooks. LOL plus, if I just cut the line when i cant get the hook out the fish feels special cuz it has a gold filling now. lol.......