PDA

View Full Version : Corona 4/12/13. Living up to its "Big Fish" moniker

Webfoot
04-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Fished Corona lake last Friday and was rewarded with two very special catches!

The area I fished was near the Northwest end of the lake. Water temperature was surprisingly cool at 67 - 68 degrees. Fished near a drop off in 10 feet water. The crappie fell to a split shotted white trout worm on my first cast off the day. The strike occurred on the fall and stayed deep until it hit the net after a quick but intense battle. This easily was one of the largest Crappies if have caught. My attempts to revive this magnificent fish failed so I reluctantly harvested it.

http://fishinghotpage.com/forum4/images/attach/jpg.gif

After catching the mondo Crappie I continued to fish the same area for trout. I decided to switch things up a bit and pitch some bait. The roe I fished was from a recently caught Southern Oregon Steelhead.(report to follow later). The bite came quick and the fish effortlessly peeled 50 yards of line of my Symmetry 1500. I immediately pulled my anchors and set off in and effort to subdue the unknown beast that was peeling line of my drag. I put my thirty pound thrust motor to full power and attempted to chase the fish down stern first. It was heading towards shallow water until I placed my boat between it and the shoreline. The fish came to the surface and breached and I immediately recognized it was a Sturgeon. I drove the fish to deeper water and continued to battle it for 15 more minutes. The fish eventually was tired out and came to the surface. I was able to subdue it and headed directly to the shop to report my catch. J.D. Congratulated me on the catches and photographed both fish. We safely released the amazing fish and J.D. awarded me with a gate pass for my catches. I caught the Sturgeon on 3lb mono attached to a Carolina rigged #8 Owner mosquito hook.

http://fishinghotpage.com/forum4/images/attach/jpg.gif

Poxy Boggards
04-15-2013, 11:57 AM
WOW, nice day at the lake! That is one hog of a Crappie! Nice Sturgeon as well!

FKNChristopH
04-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Toad slab! Congrats

*shakka*

DC5fishR
04-16-2013, 05:13 AM
That's a huge crappie! How much did it weigh? I'm jealous...I was there this weekend, but all the crappie that I caught were tiny compared to that one.

LGHT
04-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Wow that's a HUGE crappie, didn't know they got that big here in CA!! How did it taste never harvested crappie before due to size, but that's a monster!

Troutman65
04-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Nice going on those two nice fish .