PDA

View Full Version : LBC WFO salad bar

Nuoc Mam
04-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Set-up: 8 ft custom wrapped shikari blank matched with Luna 253 spooled with 35 lb spectra
Bait: LC MS sardine

Brother and I hit the sand at 6:34am to a very low tide. I love fishing this beach during the low to medium tide. Today it was all you can eat salad. 9 out of 10 cast was kelp. Saw a big clump of kelp so decided to cast the lc by it but nothing, no one home. An hour into the session I felt thump and I swung fish on. It was an angel ray. First one for me on my lc. Then later into the session, same thing, cast, reel and I feel a thump, I paused and then 1 crank felt weight. Swing and fish on again, well this time it was a sting ray hahaha. Moved about 50 yards north and felt some warm pockets of water. Fan casted the area and finally hooked into a butt. It was the smallest butt I have ever caught. Didn't snap a picture because I was on a time restraint. Well, that was it for the day. Tide started to come up and conditions got windy and choppy. Called it a day and headed home.

murrieta angler
04-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Always nice to get something on the line!!
I take it you weren't wearing waders, since you could feel the temp difference.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

PTN
04-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Great job out there in the salad bar and catching some fish Nuoc Mam. I haven't heard of an angel ray before or is that another name for the butterfly ray? Thanks for the report!

-Peter

fishshep
04-14-2013, 08:08 PM
:Smile: I liked the part about you saying "Felt warm pockets" :Big Grin: I remember last year in

that area when at this time you would just walk into the warm pockets while moving

and casting at the same time !!! Things are gonna get good again when the water

all warms up !!! :Big Grin:

Nuoc Mam
04-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Always nice to get something on the line!!
I take it you weren't wearing waders, since you could feel the temp difference.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

Knew it was low tide so didn't bother with the waders. Should have wore it though, could have waded out a little further and work parallel to the beach.

PTN - angel ray is another name for butterfly ray. I see from your reports that you are on FIRE connecting to the legal butts. Congrats!!!!!

Anytime on the water is a great time. Especially when it's time spent doing what you like with the sibling.

Until next time, good luck out there everyone besides you PTN looks like you don't need luck heheh j/k. Love your reports by the way.

PTN
04-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Knew it was low tide so didn't bother with the waders. Should have wore it though, could have waded out a little further and work parallel to the beach.

PTN - angel ray is another name for butterfly ray. I see from your reports that you are on FIRE connecting to the legal butts. Congrats!!!!!

Anytime on the water is a great time. Especially when it's time spent doing what you like with the sibling.

Until next time, good luck out there everyone besides you PTN looks like you don't need luck heheh j/k. Love your reports by the way.

Ah angel ray makes sense. I've got all the luck right now :LOL:. This is the first time I've been so successful in the surf. Just got to keep fishing and learn from it. A lot of great people on here that I've learned from and they will answer any question as best as they can. Lots of great information in old reports and in the articles too! Keep up the good work. :Smile:

DockRat
04-15-2013, 06:14 AM
Salad Bar in Redondo too.
DR

skunked4life
04-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Congrats on beating the skunk though! I had my fill of salad all weekend too! Now go do some maintenance on your reel from catching those rays and hit the salt again! Good luck out there!

Nuoc Mam
04-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the reply everyone.

skunked - I'm doing just that today, maintenance and preping it for the next outing. I'll try to snap a picture of my LC, man the thing is beat up, but still keeps on catching hahaha

dlmoo312
04-16-2013, 07:04 PM
At least you ended the day hooking into a flat fish of the right kind! Even if it was a short!
Way to beat the skunk in the tough conditions!

-Daniel

SP Dan
04-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi ya Nuoc Mam,

It sounds like you had a great time!

Thanx for the fish report!

SP Dan <"))><