PDA

View Full Version : Remembering a hero

Re8elmonk0341
04-14-2013, 04:44 PM
I had the honor and privilege of serving with and calling Cpl. Jason L. Dunham my friend. Today marks the 9th year of his unselfish sacrifice to corp, country, and more importantly his brothers.

The "BROTHERHOOD" of Kilo 3/7 miss and love you "J" not a day goes by that we don't talk about you and want to beat your *** in darts!

Cheers and Semper Fi

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/re8elmonk/0c5f0dc2d0e4f6e6233942c3a8d4d1b5.jpg

The President of the United States
in the name of The Congress
takes pleasure in presenting the
Medal of Honor
to

*Dunham, Jason L.
Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps, Company K, 3d Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division. Place and Date: Karabilah, Iraq, 14 April 2004. Entered Service at: Scio, New York. Born: 10 November 1981, Scio, New York

Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a Rifle Squad Leader, 4th Platoon, Company K, Third Battalion, Seventh Marines (Reinforced), Regimental Combat Team 7, First Marine Division (Reinforced), on 14 April 2004. Corporal Dunham's squad was conducting a reconnaissance mission in the town of Karabilah, Iraq, when they heard rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire erupt approximately two kilometers to the west. Corporal Dunham led his Combined Anti-Armor Team towards the engagement to provide fire support to their Battalion Commander's convoy, which had been ambushed as it was traveling to Camp Husaybah. As Corporal Dunham and his Marines advanced, they quickly began to receive enemy fire. Corporal Dunham ordered his squad to dismount their vehicles and led one of his fire teams on foot several blocks south of the ambushed convoy. Discovering seven Iraqi vehicles in a column attempting to depart, Corporal Dunham and his team stopped the vehicles to search them for weapons. As they approached the vehicles, an insurgent leaped out and attacked Corporal Dunham. Corporal Dunham wrestled the insurgent to the ground and in the ensuing struggle saw the insurgent release a grenade. Corporal Dunham immediately alerted his fellow Marines to the threat. Aware of the imminent danger and without hesitation, Corporal Dunham covered the grenade with his helmet and body, bearing the brunt of the explosion and shielding his Marines from the blast. In an ultimate and selfless act of bravery in which he was mortally wounded, he saved the lives of at least two fellow Marines. By his undaunted courage, intrepid fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty, Corporal Dunham gallantly gave his life for his country, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

DEVOREFLYER
04-14-2013, 06:46 PM
When a soldier so gallantly lays down his life in defense of this country and his fellow soldiers, it is referred to as the ultimate sacrifice, but such a sacrifice is never singularly borne. It is added to and deepened by those who that brave soldier left behind.

I too feel your sorrow over the loss of Corporal Dunham and salute you for honoring his memory today.

Marley
04-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Rest in peace, warrior. A grateful country is free because of the actions of good men like you.

DockRat
04-15-2013, 06:22 AM
True Hero !!! Sorry for the loss of your buddy. DR

I just got a scam email that makes me sick. Frickin Craigslist scammer.
The Ad got pulled. How can these A Holes use a story like this ?

2005 Volkswagen Passat TDI WAGON
Hello,
Thank you for your inquiry regarding my car. It is in perfect condition, there's not even a scratch or any dents on it. Everything about it is in perfect condition. I have clear title for it, no liens or loans.
The car is priced to sell quickly and the final price that I'm asking for it is $2,161 including shipping and handling costs. The reason for selling it is that my husband died in Afghanistan 3 months ago and me and my daughter decided to sell the house and move to my sister's. The car reminds us very much of my husband but we finally understood that we have to move on with our lives. Although my husband will have his place in our hearts forever. I can't afford to take days off my work for this sale so i'm trying to sell it online.
If you are really interested in purchasing the car please reply to this email and i will provide further instructions regarding payment and delivery.

Regards!

Clara Rodriguez

casting call
04-18-2013, 07:41 PM
A few days late here, but RIP Marine, this former soldier salutes you! and hooah to his fellow warriors.

DR... stolen valor? I wont hijack this thread so I will create a new one.

old pudd fisher
04-18-2013, 08:03 PM
I salute him also. Lost a few my self back in the day.

Re8elmonk0341
04-22-2013, 11:36 PM
Jason jumped on the grenand on the 14 and 8 days later (4/22) he went home to be with the Lord....mom and dad had to pull the plug. God bless my friend...we Love you brother!