PDA

View Full Version : Saturday is striper time

Bassfan
04-14-2013, 10:13 AM

No Bass Tournament today! After missing fishing last week I was dying to get out and chase Mr. Stripey. Started the day with some trolling. Went for the first hour seeing some prospects on the screen but no hits. Came around and backtracked when I saw another boat trolling and bringing in a fish. Looked like it could have been one of TO’s army.

I never trolled much at Pyramid and was suddenly in 20-22 feet of water everywhere and sure I would get the rig hung up so I did a U-turn and tried to get to deeper water. I was just waiting for the telltale steady bottom snag pulling on the rod when it started pulsing hard. It really was a hard fighting fish and proved to be the biggest striper of the day. Tried one more circle and then headed toward the main part of the lake. On the way got one more striper trolling but not as big. Still happy to see him but one fish per hour was making me anxious to go back to the bait area and soak some sardines.

Got there about 9:30 and none of the regulars were there, just one bass guy and he left soon giving me the whole place to myself for most of the first couple hours. Couldn’t believe it was a Saturday morning with so few fishing in that area. Anchored in 50 ft. and the bite was steady. There was no more than an occasional gentle breeze.

First fish came on the rod I salvaged from the lake bottom two weeks ago. Rodney at Action Tackle in Mission Hills ultrasonically cleaned the reel and re-lubed it back to new condition and it got a good workout today. Nice quality fish with the occasional two rods getting hit at once.

By 11:30 or 12 the area changed to Pontoon boats of party people one blasting rap and yelling to each other over the music, more pleasure boaters and fishermen and of course the wind. After 12 it slowed down a lot but still the occasional fish. After 18 stripers, I ran out of sardines about 2:30 headed in with 8 keepers. Can’t wait to get back out again, the time goes by way too fast!

TroutOnly
04-14-2013, 11:08 AM
way to slay bassfan ,the bigger fish for me lately have come off the troll and each week it gets better and better,,,,,,,,,,,,dont you hate the lake lice,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

trail blazer
04-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Congrats on the troll success,,,,,,,,,,,,,great report,,thanks!trail blazer

flyhigh123
04-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Congrats on the troll success,,,,,,,,,,,,,great report,,thanks!trail blazer

Good seeing you bass fan on the lake! That was me picking off that one on the troll, hehe. I did a quick troll out of the marina, picked up the one and tried again and then headed out to main lake.

I fished the other area so didnt see you the rest of the day. Picked up 12, all keepers and averaged 3 pounders. All nice and fat. nothing wide open, it was 1 or 2 every hour. Was a nice day.

Bassfan
04-15-2013, 08:13 AM
That was me picking off that one on the troll, hehe.

That explains it! I couldn't see well enough to recognize you but I figured it was a fellow TO guy. Glad you found some nice fish, they do look to be nicer than the winter fish. I saw eggs in their belly so I may have killed a million potential stripers by catching some pregnant moms. Sorry Mrs. Stripey. See you out there next time Joe.

fishinone
04-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Nice job trolling them up.

dk4885
04-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Nice job trolling them up.

nice job out there, the u rigs usually get hung up in 14-15 foot for me, I love the 19-25 feet range that's were I do the best