PDA

View Full Version : Lagoon tubing newbie.

Graverobber26
04-12-2013, 12:46 PM
The title alone probably made most of you cringe. I'm not a newbie angler, just going to start taking advantage of living so close to the lake and my tube has been dry for too long. I'm just looking for any pointers or advice from you seasoned veterans out there that you wouldn't mind sharing with me. Anything is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

"Let 'em go and let 'em grow"

SHOOTER2496
04-12-2013, 02:56 PM
The title alone probably made most of you cringe. I'm not a newbie angler, just going to start taking advantage of living so close to the lake and my tube has been dry for too long. I'm just looking for any pointers or advice from you seasoned veterans out there that you wouldn't mind sharing with me. Anything is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

"Let 'em go and let 'em grow"

Split shoting a oxblood roboworm would work :Fishing Catch:

HBAR
04-12-2013, 03:03 PM
come to the derby tomorrow dont be afraid to ask questions as there will be quite a few seasoned float tube vets out there. Registrations starts at 5am safety meeting at 545 Castaic lagoon west launch ramp entrance make sure tube is clean and dry if you happen to use it today save your receipt and show them tomorrow morning. Any questions contact myself or "topwaterterry"

mammoth80
04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Split shoting a oxblood roboworm would work :Fishing Catch:
I did exactly that all morning and got nary a bite. I realize luck plays a big role, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. My split shot setup: ~1/0 worm hook w/ 6" oxblood robo hooked weedless + 2 splitshot ~3 ft above (not sure of size, but enough to get to bottom, maybe 1/4 oz total). I'm pretty new to this whole bassin' thing (coming from trout) and today was my first day in a tube. My shore sessions w/ dropshot senkos haven't netted much either. I've heard to fish it slow over the rocks. How slow is slow? I've gone about as slow as my reel will allow. Stop and go? Twitch the tip occasionally? Lift and drop? Any tips would be appreciated.

joetro474
04-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Hey so I'm not an expert or anything especially in a tube. Here is my piece of advice. I would Drop Shot the Oxblood robo. I use a Gamakatsu Split shot/Dropshot hook size 2 and 3/16 oz weight. I only use a little less than a foot on the tag line. I also hook the worm right through the nose. I almost always loose my worm after i get a fish on. The key is making sure your plastic is straight. I don’t always get it straight when I try to rig it weedless. (The lagoon doesn’t have much aquatic plant life right now so you don’t need to be weedless). This has been working for me from shore lately. It doesnt work everywhere.
I start out looking for changes (discoloration) in the water or landscape. I was out Friday night, missed the tube derby because of work :(. I went to the little rocky point next to the old boat dock (Launch ramp). There was a subtle change in structure. I began to fan cast the area. I was able to find found 1 in a spot I directed my cast to. There was also another spot down by the campgrounds were the sandy beach changed to rocky area. I threw Parallel to the change and got 2 fish in the same general area within a few minutes of each other. Remember, have a place in mind where you want to cast. Dont just aimlessly cast at areas. Also If you see something that looks fishy. Someone else has probably already thought about it as well, but it doesnt hurt to throw there. Maybe change you should cast adjacent to that area or try somewhere that seems a little less fishy. Also if you have got bit in a little bit move on. There is plently of places where fish hang out.

If you are comfortable fishing from shore i would move your tube close to shore and work the bait up hill. When you in the water (on a boat) you work you bait down hill alot. I think you go for whats most comfortable for you.

As for fishing slow. I dont know how slow, slow is. I have been trying to figure that out. What I do know is, i like to feel the bottom, rocks, twigs anything is good. This allows to learn what is going on down in the water you can not see. I tend to twitch and little than let it rest, then twitch slightly and thats when i feel the hit. Most people will say that the bass hit the worm on the fall. So sometimes i twitch hard and the let it fall. I have been able to land mostly every fish that has bitten lately. I think the key is when you feel the hit on your line you wait a sec that slowly reel in your line than make a good hook set.

the lagoon isnt the easiest place to catch fish. When i started fishing at the lagoon i would only catch fish in one area. Now I can catch fish in many different places.