PDA

View Full Version : Garbage strike in OC...

smokehound
04-11-2013, 10:07 AM
This is honestly the dumbest strike since OCTA.

The douchebags make $30,000+ dollars a freaking year, wth..

I'm going to print an offensive picture and tape it to my trashcan next tuesday as my special little thank-you.

Nipple Twister
04-11-2013, 10:30 AM

I'm going to print an offensive picture and tape it to my trashcan next tuesday as my special little thank-you.

.....what's your point?

Marley
04-11-2013, 05:03 PM
I called them this morning to ask WTH and got a "nice" lady who confirmed that there was a 2-day strike but that it was over. Told me to roll the cans back inside and suggested that we put any overflow garbage in plastic bags. Duh. Said we would not get a pickup this week but that any overflow bags placed alongside the cans out front would be picked up next week.
I voiced my displeasure and then asked her how many of their drivers actually knew where Ohio was? (Ohio being the location of the "real strike" the OC drivers are "sympathizing" with). She asked me what Ohio is, which made my point. Of course she never did understand the point, my garbage is still baking out beside the house and the cans will be extra heavy next week to have to roll out again.

Jfishy
04-11-2013, 05:14 PM
I called them this morning to ask WTH and got a "nice" lady who confirmed that there was a 2-day strike but that it was over. Told me to roll the cans back inside and suggested that we put any overflow garbage in plastic bags. Duh. Said we would not get a pickup this week but that any overflow bags placed alongside the cans out front would be picked up next week.
I voiced my displeasure and then asked her how many of their drivers actually knew where Ohio was? (Ohio being the location of the "real strike" the OC drivers are "sympathizing" with). She asked me what Ohio is, which made my point. Of course she never did understand the point, my garbage is still baking out beside the house and the cans will be extra heavy next week to have to roll out again.

boo hoo for you....

Marley
04-11-2013, 08:54 PM
boo hoo for you....

Yeah, I know. I almost cried it was so bad.

smokehound
04-11-2013, 10:56 PM
.....what's your point?

http://ciaohi.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/are-you-serious.gif

perhaps being forced to wheel my trashcans back in full of rotting meat, or get a ticket for them being out past trash day?

The city doesnt care if there was a strike or not, luckily I got to the cans before the street-sweeper came by, everyone across the street got a ticket for their cans being out.

DockRat
04-12-2013, 06:34 AM

You make it sound like $30k is big money ?

smokehound
04-14-2013, 06:50 PM
While it may be true it isn't big money, it's more than enough to afford your own health care.

That's beside the point though, the strike was extremely petty.

Marley
04-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Full page ad in the OC register today.

Nipple Twister
04-15-2013, 11:28 AM

While it may be true it isn't big money, it's more than enough to afford your own health care.

....THEY'RE being petty????? :ROFL:

Big Jess
04-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Your such a tool, be vocal, support a local!! Dont be mad because people have the courage to fight for better wages, healthcare, pensions and workplace democracy, respect and dignity. You should have the courage like them, but you bash them and insult them for being REAL Americans. You sir are un-American and the real douchebag!

casting call
04-15-2013, 04:19 PM

30,000/yr comes out to 2500/month. After taxes maybe 1900-2000/mo. Take away rent at 1200/mo and you are left with 800 for the month to spend on food, gas, car insurance etc...youre just getting by if youre single. If you have a family of 4, you are NOT getting health care and probably are eating ramen more times than filet mignon.

smokehound
04-16-2013, 01:16 PM
30,000/yr comes out to 2500/month. After taxes maybe 1900-2000/mo. Take away rent at 1200/mo and you are left with 800 for the month to spend on food, gas, car insurance etc...youre just getting by if youre single. If you have a family of 4, you are NOT getting health care and probably are eating ramen more times than filet mignon.Yeah, because everyone spends 1200 a month on rent <=\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(logic)

And remember that 30,000 is the BASE PAY for garbage truck drivers. They can make MUCH MUCH more. It's by no means a low-wage job.

casting call
04-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Yeah, because everyone spends 1200 a month on rent <=\

And remember that 30,000 is the BASE PAY for garbage truck drivers. They can make MUCH MUCH more. It's by no means a low-wage job.

You are right, most apartment require a base pay ratio of 3:1 income to rent, in this case they wouldnt even qualify for a 1200/mo apartment :Sad:
$15/hr in southern california is not a low wage job? lol... would you like to work for me? :Big Grin:

skunked4life
04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah, because everyone spends 1200 a month on rent <=\

First, name-calling and straight out bashing someone for their opinion may not be the best method for winning an argument nor convincing someone that they may be wrong.

Marcus, correct me if I am wrong, but one of the points of the sympathy strike was for the workers to be on an even playing field when negotiating their futures so that they could indeed "MAKE MUCH more" as you put it. If employers are allowed to bully and force certain terms of employment, there is no arms-length negotiating. This means that any agreement resulting is unconscionable and voidable. Yes, they perform services for regular tax payers, but they are not slaves. They have the right, just like anyone else in this country (generally) to negotiate freely and try to earn a better living for themselves and their families.

I respect your opinion and right to state such, but the manner in which you are going about it seems a little over-the-top. Imagine that you have a cause that you believe in and someone else thinks it is petty and decides to take action in the way you are proposing (ie: everytime you post something on here that rubs someone the wrong way, they come over and post offensive pictures on your door). Not cool.

Lastly, unfortunately, $30,000 a year, base pay or not, in California is NOT alot of money. Your premise that it [I]could[I] be alot more and that it is enough to pay for insurance is slightly misguided. Spin it how ever you may. Having a family of four (my family) depending on that kind of money? Insurance can run you up at least $800 a month (that's for my family including employer paid shares). Aside from my tackle addiction and occasional treats to lunch and dinner, we spend money on bare essentials. My grocery budget for one month is $350.00. I am not trying to take one side or another, I am not trying to attack you, but I think that you have the wrong perspective on this topic. I think that you are smarter than this and wiser than this. To think that having sympathy for another is "petty"...I am not too sure about that. Think about it, that is all I am saying.

pcuser
04-16-2013, 03:15 PM
First, name-calling and straight out bashing someone for their opinion may not be the best method for winning an argument nor convincing someone that they may be wrong.

Marcus, correct me if I am wrong, but one of the points of the sympathy strike was for the workers to be on an even playing field when negotiating their futures so that they could indeed "MAKE MUCH more" as you put it. If employers are allowed to bully and force certain terms of employment, there is no arms-length negotiating. This means that any agreement resulting is unconscionable and voidable. Yes, they perform services for regular tax payers, but they are not slaves. They have the right, just like anyone else in this country (generally) to negotiate freely and try to earn a better living for themselves and their families.

I respect your opinion and right to state such, but the manner in which you are going about it seems a little over-the-top. Imagine that you have a cause that you believe in and someone else thinks it is petty and decides to take action in the way you are proposing (ie: everytime you post something on here that rubs someone the wrong way, they come over and post offensive pictures on your door). Not cool.

Lastly, unfortunately, $30,000 a year, base pay or not, in California is NOT alot of money. Your premise that it [I]could[I] be alot more and that it is enough to pay for insurance is slightly misguided. Spin it how ever you may. Having a family of four (my family) depending on that kind of money? Insurance can run you up at least $800 a month (that's for my family including employer paid shares). Aside from my tackle addiction and occasional treats to lunch and dinner, we spend money on bare essentials. My grocery budget for one month is $350.00. I am not trying to take one side or another, I am not trying to attack you, but I think that you have the wrong perspective on this topic. I think that you are smarter than this and wiser than this. To think that having sympathy for another is "petty"...I am not too sure about that. Think about it, that is all I am saying.

Smarter... Maybe. Wiser... No chance in Hades.

Knives
04-17-2013, 09:24 AM
30k gross wages isn't much in southern california. Thats just getting by with insurance rates, gas, douche cops needing to fill a ticket quota, and very little to save up in case if an emergency happens. Now if this was any other state it would make a huge differance. Let me give you an example. I live in a small one bedroom apt in a not so great neighborhood with some pretty crappy neighbors. It's not the worst but lots of room for improvement. Rent is 875 a month electricity in the summer is 80-100 cause the insulation sucks and have to blast the wall AC.
Not to mention gas, food, laundry. Here it adds up quick and I could barely support at the time GF and her three cats. I was making 45k yearly at my job. Cost of living sucks here, but wouldn't want to live anywhere else. You have to paymore if you want people to stay working here.