PDA

View Full Version : Lone Pine Grays Meadows Campground Fishing

Stitch
04-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Hi Fellas,

I'm heading camping at Lone Pines this weekend and staying at the Grays Meadows camp ground. It's my girlfriend and my first time camping in this area and I've NEVER done any creek/stream fishing for trout before, it's always just been the local lakes around SoCal.

If anyone has been in the area before and don't mind dropping some tips, technique, and tackle advice it would greatly be appreciated. I've heard from a buddy to just use night-crawlers. I'm planning to just use a a 2# test line with a small split shot and size 8 octopus hook with about a 1 ft leader. Also thinking of cutting the night-crawlers in half and inflating them so they float... is this setup going to work?

Thanks for your time and would appreciate any insight you can offer.

Kingfish Addict
04-09-2013, 10:49 PM
My buddy and I stayed at Lone Pine Campground a few weeks ago, we were gonna stay at Grays but it was still closed. It should be open now. Anyways, Lone Pine Creek has a lot of nice deep pools with plenty of fish (especially along the campground), it was the only creek around there with a decent amount of water running. Your best bet is to use flies but if you don't fly fish then here's what you should use:

Creek pole (3.5-4.5 ft in length), anything longer is also OK but might get tangled in trees and brush and can easily hamper your hike along the creek. I know this from experience.

2# test is perfect, but nothing over 4#...a small split shot will do. Leader size should vary between 1 and 3 ft depending on the size and depth of the pool.

Size 8 hook might be too big for creek fishing, I would go with a size 10, 12, or even 14.

Nightcrawlers cut in half work good, inflated or not. You can also use a single salmon egg, a single power egg, or a small bead of powerbait. Small trout jigs also work well if you don't feel like using bait.

Try to be a little stealthy when approaching the water, creek trout seem to spook very easily. Also, be aware of the position of the sun and try to minimize your shadow being cast over the pool. Many times I'll accidentally let my shadow cut across the pool and all the fish bolt under the rocks or whatever cover they can find.

Good luck!!

slacker189
04-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Last year i went there and i caught my limit within 2 hours on salmon eggs. I only used some small split shots for weight and a size 12 hook. I was also using 6lb mono for line. I would be prepared to move around. You have to move around to find the fish sometimes.

Stitch
04-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks fellas, just picked up some red salmon eggs and size 12 single hooks. Got my gear all rigged up and can't wait to get there!

Do I need to use bobbers at all when fishing with salmon eggs and night crawlers?

I never fish salmon eggs before, do they float on the surface? How do you fish salmon eggs?

Would I be holding the rod the whole time or should I cast and set the rod in a rod holder and just wait like at the lake?

Beancounter
04-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Would I be holding the rod the whole time or should I cast and set the rod in a rod holder and just wait like at the lake?

Really?
Seriously man, hold your rod (no pun intended)...;)
No bobbers are necessary.
The weight of the split shot will hold your bait under water and the current(of the stream) will make it dance around.
Salmon eggs(like crawlers) don't float.
BTW
Gray's Meadows campground is outside(West) of Independence...not Lone Pine.
Lone Pine campground is West of Lone Pine. It's a nice campground too.
Please, remember to keep the area clean and be aware of the fishing regulations.

zzzfish
04-11-2013, 11:57 AM
I have to disagree with you beancounter. Nightcrawler and salmon egg do float. The reason why they sink is because your hook is too heavy. I like to use small mosquito fly hook and cut my nightcrawler to about an 1.5 to 2.5 inches or put one or two salmon egg directly on the hook. I vary my splitshot and leader depending on the depth and current of the stream. It's best to fish with your bait on top or suspended in the water. You will only need to use a bobber if you're fishing at a lake.

Hold on to your rod so you can set the hook on time.

Good luck!

Jake

Really?
Seriously man, hold your rod (no pun intended)...;)
No bobbers are necessary.
The weight of the split shot will hold your bait under water and the current(of the stream) will make it dance around.
Salmon eggs(like crawlers) don't float.
BTW
Gray's Meadows campground is outside(West) of Independence...not Lone Pine.
Lone Pine campground is West of Lone Pine. It's a nice campground too.
Please, remember to keep the area clean and be aware of the fishing regulations.

Stitch
04-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info fellas. I never fished streams/creeks before but i checked out some YouTube videos and with the advice you guys provided. I think I got an idea to what to do now. If I catch any good footage on my gopro or camera I'll make sure I'll load it up for you guys. Thanks!

billy b
04-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Any need to worry about bears or snakes?

Kingfish Addict
04-11-2013, 04:41 PM

Bears at Lone Pine Campground and Gray's Meadows, yes. It's not like they're roaming around killing everyone but just be cautious. They have bear lockers at each campsite, put EVERYTHING in there including toothpaste, deodorant and shampoo. We even put our ice chest in there. Clean up after you eat and throw away all trash before going to bed. Anything that has a sweet or fragrant smell can attract bears. And snakes, yes. It's warming up and snakes should be starting to come out.

Joshua
04-11-2013, 09:16 PM
It is too early for the bears and still too cold for snakes. There are signs thatit is an active bear area, but I havent heard of any bears coming down that far. There are other MTN passes that are easier for the bears to access.
You can stay at Lone Pine campground or Tuttle Creek campground (in the Lone Pine area)
If you are a bait and wait angler, there is a section call the Sandtrap where you can cast your Powerbait and wait it out. Ask the tackle shop or small grocery store for directions. I wont post it on a lurkers website. It is well known and easy to find.
Once you start creek fishing you will wonder why anyone would want to bait and wait Keep in mind that Lone Pine is the ghetto of the sierras.. There are so many other areas that have much nicer scenary, better water, better fishing. With all that in mind, I will not drive thru Lone Pine without doing some fishing. It is my first stop on trips further North

zzzfish
04-12-2013, 12:30 PM
One last note. Try casting upstream and let it float down and slowly retrieve your line. I found that to work quite well in the stream

Big Willy
04-13-2013, 08:59 AM
One last note. Try casting upstream and let it float down and slowly retrieve your line. I found that to work quite well in the stream

Man, that's my trick. Do that next to any spot on the river where there is an overhang and its deadly. Gold, red and black Panther Martin can be deadly with that retrieval too.

kayworks
04-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Was just up there yesterday. Fishing was great Sam N Egg with Weight should did it. The stream was just stocked. You should be able to get your Limit within 30 minutes.!
You should havent any snakes/bears problems. It's pretty cold for those guys. You should see a lot Dear in the Grays. Enjoy your Trip!