PDA

View Full Version : Can a corbina see braid pulling a LC?

A W Root Beer
04-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Can a surf fish with great vision see braid pulling a lucky craft?

i heard if you use braid, then you can bend the hooks using braid and get your lure back.

But i wonder if you can still catch corbina, and white sea bass with braid & lcs in the surf?

I am using a spinning reel if it matters.

Thanks, Root Beer

PTN
04-08-2013, 11:02 AM
You are right about braid being able to bend out hooks but that's most likely the higher lb. test up to 10 and over. I think any line that's tested at 10lbs can bend the hooks out. I've done it on 8 lb. seaguar FC but have failed a couple of times to bend it out. Just have to be patient and work the line correctly. Some snags are near impossible to get out even with 40 lb. braid.

As for corbina, they are finicky fish and they rarely hit any artificial lures. There are reports that you can look up where they have been caught on the LC but I'm not sure about on braid. I know, in my own experience, that white sea bass will hit LC's in the surf on braid. I use a direct tie to all my LC's with braid because I hate losing them. The fish bite the LC because of its action, so most of the time, the line won't matter.

Fish with what you have confidence in and if you're worried about fish being able to see the line, you can always tie a topshot. Hope this helps. :Cool:

-Peter

A W Root Beer
04-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Do you catch perch and croaker on LC with braid?

PTN
04-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Do you catch perch on LC with braid?

Yep, all the time :Smile:. More of the bigger perch if they are around. YFC and spotfin too but I usually aim for halibut and the other fish are usually by-catch. I haven't caught a spotfin in the surf on the LC yet but I have in the bay with straight braid.

A W Root Beer
04-08-2013, 11:50 AM
So the corbina have the good eyes and they are the only fish questionable whether you can catch them on braid and a LC.

If I use some kind of non-swiveling swivel, then I can change out the LC faster and clip on a fluorocarbon leader with a sand crab hook. You know of any non-swiveling swivel clip that will not mess up the LC wooble?

Then can use a twist on weight and be good to go with out tying any knots at the beach.
Can those corbina can feel a 1/2 ounce weight or do I have to put on a sliding sinker?

I think the corbina are by-catch until I see a bunch of them eating lunch and I haven't seen one halibut all day. Then I am looking in my pocket for some type of gulp better than sand crab corbina bait that I am not sure exists. Them fake sand crabs work? Probably smell better than live after a few days in the pocket.

Thanks to everybody especially Peter for your kindness.

Root Beer

zzzfish
04-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Hey Root Beer,

I caught a corbina using 30lb test braid tied directly to an LC last summer at San Onofre. so it is doable.

Good luck with your quest!

Jake

DockRat
04-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Do you catch perch and croaker on LC with braid?
Croakers as in White Sea Bass ? Ask Murrieta Angler.

Many guys target Corbina/Spotfin with a Carolina rig and Sand Crabs, Worms, Mussel Ghost Shrimp ect.
1/2 - 3/4 oz egg and a 4 - 6 lb leader around 18".

Croaker list.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont3.asp

A W Root Beer
04-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Yes, not many people realize the White Sea Bass is a member of the croaker family.

Another one is that in the 70s, the research showed the Northern Anchovy at the top of the adult California Halibuts diet. This is no longer true. The Northern Anchovy is currently #9 and now the sardine is now the #2 the menu.

That is why it makes sense to put sardine spots on an anchovy replica lure.

dlmoo312
04-08-2013, 11:07 PM
I like to use straight braid when surf fishing using the luckycraft and have caught a corbina on and lc using straight 30lb spectra.
I've heard that corbina are very line shy, and from personal experience, can say that they'll ignore the lc most of the time.
It's pretty uncommon for a corbina to hit an lc, but when it does happen, my guess is that it is a reaction strike and the line doesn't matter as much.
As for white sea bass, I've never caught one in the surf yet, but I'd be careful to set my drag accordingly so that the hooks don't get pulled when using braid.
Hope that helps.

-Daniel

A W Root Beer
04-09-2013, 03:51 AM
I like to use straight braid when surf fishing using the luckycraft and have caught a corbina on and lc using straight 30lb spectra.
I've heard that corbina are very line shy, and from personal experience, can say that they'll ignore the lc most of the time.
It's pretty uncommon for a corbina to hit an lc, but when it does happen, my guess is that it is a reaction strike and the line doesn't matter as much.
As for white sea bass, I've never caught one in the surf yet, but I'd be careful to set my drag accordingly so that the hooks don't get pulled when using braid.
Hope that helps.

-Daniel

Hey Root Beer,

I caught a corbina using 30lb test braid tied directly to an LC last summer at San Onofre. so it is doable.

Good luck with your quest!

Jake

The picture seems to be getting clearer on the set ups for the strong eyed and weak eyed fish.

You are both using 30# braid.

I like braid. I think the pole should bend, not the line stretch.

I decided to just go out and fish and catch up on the proper equipment later.

Thanks

Root Beer

smokehound
04-09-2013, 07:21 PM
corbina will eagerly inhale a 3 inch grub if you're able to crawl it on the bottom. (difficult to achieve in the surf unless the waves are weak)