PDA

View Full Version : 04-06-13 Newport Surf Report

FishingwithDave
04-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Love it when the kids surprise us. Today it was access to a beach house in Newport Beach around 51st Street right on the beach. Made it way easier to sneak in a surf session while down in the OC babysitting our granddaughter.

Could get til around 7pm and with high tide coming in the surf was pretty rough. Was fishing the 2" Camo Sandworm and on the first cast, I landed a little perch. 2 casts later, and my spinning reel birds nests pretty bad. I guess that what I get for a last minute decision to throw my fishing gear in the car.

10 mins later I'm ready to go again and a couple casts later im hooked up with a bigger fish and then a piece of kelp joins in and then surf heads out and no more fish. Keep working the tough conditions and I got rewarded with PB perch. She was probably close to 12" but couldn't measure her. She was full of baby perch and and she went into delivery just after unhooking her. Got her quickly and gently back into the water. Went back for the babies, but the tide rushed in and swallowed them up. Never experienced this before so it was kinda cool to see.

Continued fishing until around 8pm with a few hookups but nothing more landed.

Heading back out in the morning. With high tide around 8am, is 5am too early or too late to get started? I got feeling the surf gonna be a lot like tonight tomorrow morning.

FWD

LbcLakers
04-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Congrats on your PB and thanks for the report. Good luck in the morning, I went to the fred hall show and spoke with Bill Varney (he has a surf fishing book and website up) I asked him about the best time window for fishing the surf. He said its a 4hr window for the more productive fishing. 2hrs before and 2hrs after hightide. Hope this helps im still learning everytime i get out on the surf myself.

murrieta angler
04-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Truer words from a proud pappa...:LOL:
It is cool to see for the first time. Most likely they will all be good to go.
Congrats on your PB Perch.
Robert
<><

bachiboy
04-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Congrats on the PB and way to go on the release! Looking forward to many more reports to come.:Wink:

Don

skunked4life
04-08-2013, 08:55 AM
What a great day! You get time on the salt and manage a couple of catches (by the way, this is a feat in and of itself at Newport lately) and then get to spend time with your grandchild on beach front property! That is win-win-win in my book.

Wingnut
04-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Good effort Dave... conditions was pretty rough out there this past weekend.
Congrats on the PB Perch and nice job getting all those involved back in the surf. :Big Grin:

PTN
04-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Nice report Dave. You got into some fish in rough conditions. Fishing at 5AM is a good time and a lot of the fish bite around greylight time.

-Peter