PDA

View Full Version : 4/13-4/14: First Time at Irvine in Three Years

Angler Dan
04-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Hey everyone, I am heading to the lake with Just Pete for the first time in three years....life and kid's sports have a way of doing that. We will be camping overnight and fishing on Sunday.

We are planning on renting a boat, but I am hearing that the fish are heading to the deep areas. I have a depth finder but not sure of what areas to start. I know the "classics" such as West Shore, but looking for some specifics.

Also, if anyone is going to be camping out, feel free to come over to the campsite.

JAG107
04-05-2013, 09:02 PM
They can be had anywhere from 35-50', which means either a big weight and a hefty cast from shore or get yourself a boat. With a boat, you have the luxury of finding some mid lake on the troll or bait as well. Good luck, I'll be out there tomorrow on a white Trophy!

5150fishn
04-08-2013, 04:40 PM
I would love to tell you the magic spot but it doesn't exist! Lol A good spot today is not the hot spot tommorrow. They are definately running deep like Jag said so a boat will definately help out. If trolling, leadcore or a keel weight is key. 3-4 colors deep should put you close. Good luck!

zzzfish
04-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Dan,

5150fishn is right. You'll have to do some experimenting to get on the fish. Since you'll be camping and will be out early, try trolling one or two loop around the lake first for trout. If no bite, find the yellow buoys on the westshore and cast toward the deep part of the lake. If you don't get a nibble in 45 minutes then try trout island and the flats or the dam area.

The catfish bite should be good as well. You can probably get a few by the dam right now.

For bass, try the points along the west shore toward the dam and where vegetation grow. The rocky points should be good too. And if you want to find some more bass, the back part of the flat have some good structures where basses lurk too.

I think this is plenty of info to help you get on at least some bites there. Good luck with your quest and post up a report.

Jake

I would love to tell you the magic spot but it doesn't exist! Lol A good spot today is not the hot spot tommorrow. They are definately running deep like Jag said so a boat will definately help out. If trolling, leadcore or a keel weight is key. 3-4 colors deep should put you close. Good luck!

Angler Dan
04-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the helpful information. I am used to heading out in November or early Spring, when it is much cooler and the fish seem to hang in the shallows. Finding the deep spots is going to present a new challenge. But that is what makes it fun.

I have tried trolling on the rental boats, but they seem to be moving too fast. I am not experienced at all with trolling, aside from reading some tips and lessons, so perhaps I am just missing out on something. But even moving as slowly as we could, the lures seemed to bump along right at the surface. I will do some more studying and make sure I have the proper setup to get the lures deep. If not, I am perfectly content with some bait'n'wait with a cooler.

And nothing beats camping out under the stars the night before.

zzzfish
04-10-2013, 10:58 AM
I've used their rentals before and you can adjust the speed to a decent trolling speed. you can ask the dock helps and they can show you how.

For trolling, use 4-6lb line. I'm not sure what lures you have but I usually use a daiwa sc schinner, rapala cd-3 or cd-5, and needlefish. Some colors that usually work for me are: pink, orange, and fire tiger. Those lures should dive about 5ft-10ft below surface. The only time that they would drag on the surface is when the hook is snag on the line or the lure is snag on to each other. You should have no more than four lines out with two rods in the back (pointing directly straight back parallel to the boat) with line out at 15- 25 yards and the other two rods with 20-35 yards out (these rods should be pointing perpendicular to the boat). Trolling speed should be around 1mph but you can vary the speed and direction of the boat once in awhile to induce a reaction bite from the fish (don't do too many sharp turns-it will cause your line to wrap around each other).

If you decide to bait and wait, you might want to try the "cast-a-bubble" technique filled full/almost full of water. This will allow you to cast out further to a deep spot. Make sure you do use a very light hook though. This will allow your bait to float in the water collum.

Thanks for the helpful information. I am used to heading out in November or early Spring, when it is much cooler and the fish seem to hang in the shallows. Finding the deep spots is going to present a new challenge. But that is what makes it fun.

I have tried trolling on the rental boats, but they seem to be moving too fast. I am not experienced at all with trolling, aside from reading some tips and lessons, so perhaps I am just missing out on something. But even moving as slowly as we could, the lures seemed to bump along right at the surface. I will do some more studying and make sure I have the proper setup to get the lures deep. If not, I am perfectly content with some bait'n'wait with a cooler.

And nothing beats camping out under the stars the night before.

JAG107
04-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Don't worry about going too fast in a rental, I consistently troll at 2.2-3.0mph and nail them just the same, but on the plus side you cover more water faster and thus get back into the bite zone quicker than drifting along at 1mph. In fact, my PB at the Vine came in last month at 15' depth 2.8mph. Line size is only a major factor if you're trolling slow, at 2-3mph some nice 8-10lb flouro gets bit all the same as the 4-6lb, with the upside of not being broken off should you pick up a toad. Get out there and get some! I may be out there saturday, tight lines!