PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. Morning Mission. "Challenge" Accomplished!

PTN
04-03-2013, 11:48 AM
I was talking to Arthur over text the night before about fishing and told him that I wasn't sure what AO to hit up. I wanted to head a different spot than the usual location that I've been going to and Arthur and I both agreed conditions looked good for this AO. He said he's been wanting to fish here so I decided to put some envy into him and go there :Envious:. Supposedly the swells are the lowest this week here.

I woke up this morning and took the drive feeling pretty confident and excited. When I got to the AO, I see white caps and white water :Neutral:. I figured might as well try and see if the conditions were that bad. It WAS :Evil:. Swells were over 3 feet and coming in every 4 seconds. The water surge was flying up the beach and I already knew that the LC wasn't going to work well here or maybe anything. I still tried and every cast came back with eel grass or a strand of kelp. I walked for a bit to see if there was maybe a fishable area but nothing. I felt disappointed and upset and I didn't want to give up. :Angry:.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/04-03-13%2026inch%20Hali/IMG_0678_zpsf57ce6a5.jpg

If I were to become part of S.W.A.T., I'd have to think like S.W.A.T. They would fish harder and keep persistent. To salvage the day, I went over to a different AO that was back on the way from home. I would have parked for free and walked a distance but went to the meters instead to get in as much fishing as I could before low tide hit. I haven't had luck at this spot trying before (tried there about 3 times before) but I just wanted to fish even if I came up with a skunk. This spot has lots of rocks and lots of kelp right up to the shore. It was one of the more difficult beaches to fish. I got onto the beach and started tossing one of my favorite LC patterns, Sexy Smelt. I kept getting bumps and snags from the rocks and kelp. There were holes and troughs everywhere on this beach and I could literally take one step from the sand to the water and fall into a 3 foot hole. I worked my way down the beach and find a huge trough. I kept casting into this trough and sometimes I would get a free cast without feeling a rock or kelp snag.

I finally get a good bump and just set the hook in case it was a fish. I felt the weight and the headshakes and I knew it was a halibut right away. The fish didn't make any runs and when I saw it, I knew right away it could be my challenge fish! The waves were so flat that it took me a couple of tries to beach and get the halibut safely on to the sand. My mouth went :OMG!: as I saw how thick this was for it's size. I knew it would be close. It ends up being 26 inches on the dot! :Dancing Banana:. I went from :Death2Above: to :UDaMan: and did a quick prayer.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/04-03-13%2026inch%20Hali/IMG_0668_zpsc8742893.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/04-03-13%2026inch%20Hali/IMG_0669_zps09a5396c.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/04-03-13%2026inch%20Hali/IMG_0670_zpsa9d88223.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/04-03-13%2026inch%20Hali/IMG_0671_zps1cf53188.jpg

My first thought was making sure not to keep this fish out of the water so long. I always forget to take cooler pictures and different angles. I had a big smile on my face and there was no one around to take a picture for me. So I did a quick video of the release and had my adrenaline going. I fished for a bit longer before the meter time was due and ended up losing a small halibut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNjCkXbSq0Q&feature=youtu.be

MISSION COMPLETE! :Cool::Beer Toast::Dancing Banana::Big Smile:

Thank you for the the texts and looks like this could be a great fishing season.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/04-03-13%2026inch%20Hali/IMG_0674_zps4194c217.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/04-03-13%2026inch%20Hali/IMG_0675_zps9d7d3ce0.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/04-03-13%2026inch%20Hali/IMG_0676_zpsfaf80721.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/04-03-13%2026inch%20Hali/IMG_0677_zps07a03ae0.jpg

-Peter

Wingnut
04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Hey Peter, when we talked last night, I didn't know how big the swells were going to be at that A.O. I just said that today was the flattest day of the week and swells were projected to pick up by the weekend. :Wink:

I'm glad that you didn't scrub the mission and decided to divert to an alternate LZ. :Razz: Funny, last night I mentioned that I haven't fished the second A.O. in a long time. Might have to pay that spot a visit soon, thanks for the recon. :Secret:
You fish hard and it paid off. Congrats in completing the Challenge so quickly and welcome to the Brotherhood. :Cool: The fun has just begun... :Big Grin:

Look at that drop-off... Halibut haven! :EyePop:
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/04-03-13%2026inch%20Hali/IMG_0678_zpsf57ce6a5.jpg

bbqsushi
04-03-2013, 11:57 AM
CONGRATS PETER!!! I heard the news!:Applause: Your persistence paid off. She's a beauty too!!!

With a BIG High-5, and a tiny bit of envy,
Nate

skunked4life
04-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Congrats Peter! I got the text that you were the next inductee and was super excited for you. Even though I have never personally met you, I feel like I know you through your great reports! So, how does it feel? That LC was the pattern that I caught my first legal surf butt from last year. Great pattern. Now, I am more impressed that you went out this morning, caught a mission completing butt, released it, got home to create, edit and upload a video of the release and then posted such a wonderful read! Thanks for giving us hope and hope to see you out there one day!

Ken

P.S. How's that rod? I have been interested in trying the LC Rod. Is it built exclusively for the LC?

PONTOON
04-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Congratulations Peter! :Cool:

It's always cool to get the word from the Commander that another prospect has completed a Challenge Mission. Job well done! :Thumbs Up:

bachiboy
04-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Way to go Peter!!!:Dancing Banana::Thumbs Up: You've been definitely putting time out there and with all the flatties you've been getting, I figured it was gonna happen soon. Welcome aboard!

Congrats!
Don

SP Dan
04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Welcome Brother!

"Congratulations Peter" on completing your SWAT Challenge!
I liked the healthy look of your hali and it's thick tail.....a healthy looking Halibut indeed Sir! I also like the pattern of the white spots on it's top side!
I look forward to meeting you and to shaking your hand for a job well done.

Presently I'm in Amsterdam .... so tomorrow in the morning I'll be leaving Amsterdam by high speed train; traveling 300 kph or 187 mph, having breakfast in the Netherlands, lunch in Belgium and diner in Paris France.

I look forward to hooking up with you once I return home and re-enter the salt! Save a few for me Brotha!
"Once again....Congratulations".....and "Way To Go My Brotha"!

Thanx for the excellent "SWAT Challenge "Completed" Report" with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan. <"))><

FishinElectrician
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Incredible report! Way to get em!!! :Applause:

sidified
04-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Ahh, what a relief it is, eh?; not having to sweat it out accomplishing your challenge.
May all your fish come at equally frequent intervals...
Welcome,
Sid

5150fishn
04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Congrats on accomplishing your mission! Looks like you turned a skunk day into a day of celebration. You have now joined the ranks of the surf elite! Nicely done bro. Thanks for the report and pics.

dlmoo312
04-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Congrats Peter and welcome to the SWAT brotherhood!:Beer Toast:
I had a feeling from reading your recent reports that you'd probably be finishing this challenge in good time:Big Grin:
Way to tough it out and thanks for the report! I hope we get a chance to fish sometime soon:Cool:

-Daniel

bones
04-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Nicely done Peter. I have fond memories of that AO and very long assaults. Caught my PB corbina there too while dropshotting in a trench.

Welcome to the brotherhood!

murrieta angler
04-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Congratulations Peter...:Smile:
You knocked it out of the ball park quickly.
You are on a good run and I hope it continues for you.
Robert
<><

bloox8
04-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Ahh, what a relief it is, eh?; not having to sweat it out accomplishing your challenge.
Welcome,
Sid
LOL! Tell me about it.

Congrats Peter! You've been killing it out there. I knew you were going to hit that trophy fish soon, but man, you did it in no time. I need to catch up to now and get my winning fish so that Daniel could stop teasing me :LOL:

Thanks for the report and keep up the good work!

Thien

Which Way Out
04-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Peter, Welcome to the Team. :Thumbs Up:

That's how SWAT rolls. Hit and move. Very nice fish and with the larger ones showing down there, you might just beat that in no time.
Keep it up and continued good luck.

WWO

frankjz
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Great catch, especially since you're using my exact reel. Also, I dug the video of the release. Beautiful.

Hardcor
04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Very Nice pthuann ! I gave you your first like on you tube, and your first comment, and I'm your first subscriber !

First legal Halibut and first video ! Way to go kid ! Do it again !

Jaysuuun
04-03-2013, 10:42 PM
WTG Peter and congrats on completing your mission :Applause: That is a nice looking hali and I'm sure you'll be topping that 26" real soon the way you've been hitting the surf. I was out there myself today, but no legals for me. :Neutral:

Welcome to the brotherhood buddy and looking forward to fishing with you sometime. :Cool:

Cool rod and LC pattern. Is that Chartreuse Shad?

DockRat
04-04-2013, 05:32 AM
Congrats on the legal. :Applause:
DR

exfactor
04-04-2013, 06:33 AM
WTG on the targeted species! Glad you stayed persistent on your goal. I like the energy you are bringing to the group, reminds me of when I was going for it all the time. I tried this last weekend for no love. Here's to bigger and better fish on the horizon. Mikey

Badbeat
04-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Congratulations Peter, welcome to the brotherhood, wait a minute, I'm not even in the brotherhood. :ROFL: :Envious:
You're the envy of many. Nice job on the legal halibut the release. That's a cool rod, what are the specs and do they have a baitcast version?

PTN
04-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Hey Peter, when we talked last night, I didn't know how big the swells were going to be at that A.O. I just said that today was the flattest day of the week and swells were projected to pick up by the weekend. :Wink:

I'm glad that you didn't scrub the mission and decided to divert to an alternate LZ. :Razz: Funny, last night I mentioned that I haven't fished the second A.O. in a long time. Might have to pay that spot a visit soon, thanks for the recon. :Secret:
You fish hard and it paid off. Congrats in completing the Challenge so quickly and welcome to the Brotherhood. :Cool: The fun has just begun... :Big Grin:

Look at that drop-off... Halibut haven! :EyePop:

I checked the swells at the first AO on surfline and it said 1 to 3 feet and occasional 3 feet:Rolls Eyes:. Thanks for the congrats and that dropoff was like that for a good 1/4 mile.

CONGRATS PETER!!! I heard the news!:Applause: Your persistence paid off. She's a beauty too!!!

With a BIG High-5, and a tiny bit of envy,
Nate

Thank You Nate! Good luck with the challenge. I'm sure everyone will be fishing harder now :Big Grin:

Congrats Peter! I got the text that you were the next inductee and was super excited for you. Even though I have never personally met you, I feel like I know you through your great reports! So, how does it feel? That LC was the pattern that I caught my first legal surf butt from last year. Great pattern. Now, I am more impressed that you went out this morning, caught a mission completing butt, released it, got home to create, edit and upload a video of the release and then posted such a wonderful read! Thanks for giving us hope and hope to see you out there one day!

Ken

P.S. How's that rod? I have been interested in trying the LC Rod. Is it built exclusively for the LC?

It feels GREAT! I didn't expect to finish the challenge so soon and especially that day since the day started slow. Thanks for the congrats Ken. This rod is really great. You don't have to exclusively throw LC's on it but it throws all the LC's ranging to the small little trout lures all the way up to the FM 130MR really great. It feels pretty close to the 8'6" medium Clarus but better because of the castability of smaller lures. Comes in sizes 7'7, 8'7, and 9'7. If you'd like to try it out, you can use it for a session if you want to meet up and fish :Smile:.

Congratulations Peter! :Cool:

It's always cool to get the word from the Commander that another prospect has completed a Challenge Mission. Job well done! :Thumbs Up:

Thanks PONTOON! :Smile:

Way to go Peter!!!:Dancing Banana::Thumbs Up: You've been definitely putting time out there and with all the flatties you've been getting, I figured it was gonna happen soon. Welcome aboard!

Congrats!
Don

Thanks Don, I was motivated to finally catch a fish from the surf and try to be consistent with it.

Welcome Brother!

"Congratulations Peter" on completing your SWAT Challenge!
I liked the healthy look of your hali and it's thick tail.....a healthy looking Halibut indeed Sir! I also like the pattern of the white spots on it's top side!
I look forward to meeting you and to shaking your hand for a job well done.

Presently I'm in Amsterdam .... so tomorrow in the morning I'll be leaving Amsterdam by high speed train; traveling 300 kph or 187 mph, having breakfast in the Netherlands, lunch in Belgium and diner in Paris France.

I look forward to hooking up with you once I return home and re-enter the salt! Save a few for me Brotha!
"Once again....Congratulations".....and "Way To Go My Brotha"!

Thanx for the excellent "SWAT Challenge "Completed" Report" with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan. <"))><

Thank you Dan! Sounds like you're having a great vacation :Smile:. The fish will be terrified when they hear you're coming back to slay:LOL:.

Incredible report! Way to get em!!! :Applause:

Thanks FishinElectrician. :Cool:

Welcome,
Sid

Yes it's a relief. I didn't think I would complete the challenge so soon. I was determined to build some kind of skill into surf fishing as I'm trying to still figure out the tidbits of it :Smile:. Thanks Sid.

Congrats on accomplishing your mission! Looks like you turned a skunk day into a day of celebration. You have now joined the ranks of the surf elite! Nicely done bro. Thanks for the report and pics.

Thanks 5150fishn. My pleasure to give the FNN community something they can enjoy to read and inspire some fellow anglers to fish :Smile:.

PTN
04-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Congrats Peter and welcome to the SWAT brotherhood!:Beer Toast:
I had a feeling from reading your recent reports that you'd probably be finishing this challenge in good time:Big Grin:
Way to tough it out and thanks for the report! I hope we get a chance to fish sometime soon:Cool:

-Daniel

Thanks again Daniel. The text was much appreciated and hope to fish with you soon :Smile:.

Nicely done Peter. I have fond memories of that AO and very long assaults. Caught my PB corbina there too while dropshotting in a trench.

Welcome to the brotherhood!

Thanks Mike. I remember looking up old reports and some of your pictures here :Cool:. I'm glad to be part of the brotherhood.

Congratulations Peter...:Smile:
You knocked it out of the ball park quickly.
You are on a good run and I hope it continues for you.
Robert
<><

Thank you Robert. Your knowledge and intel is much appreciated and hope to see you on the sand soon :Big Grin:.

LOL! Tell me about it.

Congrats Peter! You've been killing it out there. I knew you were going to hit that trophy fish soon, but man, you did it in no time. I need to catch up to now and get my winning fish so that Daniel could stop teasing me :LOL:

Thanks for the report and keep up the good work!

Thien

:LOL: Thanks Thien. You'll get that fish soon and thanks for the text. I hope to see you and Daniel on the water soon!

Peter, Welcome to the Team. :Thumbs Up:

That's how SWAT rolls. Hit and move. Very nice fish and with the larger ones showing down there, you might just beat that in no time.
Keep it up and continued good luck.

WWO

Thanks for the welcome WWO. :Big Grin:

Great catch, especially since you're using my exact reel. Also, I dug the video of the release. Beautiful.

Thank you Frank. That reel is a work horse and not much sand/salt gets into it.

Very Nice pthuann ! I gave you your first like on you tube, and your first comment, and I'm your first subscriber !

First legal Halibut and first video ! Way to go kid ! Do it again !

:LOL: Thanks for subscribing but may be some time before I make another video. I just did a quick video on Windows Movie Maker and am a big amateur at editing or even capturing film.

WTG Peter and congrats on completing your mission :Applause: That is a nice looking hali and I'm sure you'll be topping that 26" real soon the way you've been hitting the surf. I was out there myself today, but no legals for me. :Neutral:

Welcome to the brotherhood buddy and looking forward to fishing with you sometime. :Cool:

Cool rod and LC pattern. Is that Chartreuse Shad?

Thanks for the congrats and welcome Jason. The LC is Sexy smelt. It's green on top with a yellow line going through the middle and white ghost color on the bottom.

Congrats on the legal. :Applause:
DR

Thank You DR.:Smile:

WTG on the targeted species! Glad you stayed persistent on your goal. I like the energy you are bringing to the group, reminds me of when I was going for it all the time. I tried this last weekend for no love. Here's to bigger and better fish on the horizon. Mikey

Thanks Mikey. If I can bring any help or motivation to the group, I'm glad I could do a little :Smile:.

Congratulations Peter, welcome to the brotherhood, wait a minute, I'm not even in the brotherhood. :ROFL: :Envious:
You're the envy of many. Nice job on the legal halibut the release. That's a cool rod, what are the specs and do they have a baitcast version?

Thanks Badbeat. It's a 7'7 rod and feels like a medium with fast/medium fast action tip. Line rating is 6-16lbs. and lure rating is 2.6g to 23g. Not sure how many that is in ounces :Embarrassed:. I'm not sure they make this rod in baitcasting but I'll ask. They do have other baitcasting rods but are made for the freshwater bass anglers and are on the thicker size. Brent Ehrler uses those thicker ones from time to time to pull out those bass from thick shrubbery.

iLLest
04-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Congrats Peter!
Thats a nice hali to bring in and conquer the SWAT challenge with.
A round of applause goes off to ya bro.
Dedication pays off nicely doesnt it? :Wink:
That water on the second AO looks amazing, good choice on bailing and heading to a new AO.
Oh and sweet looking rod too man, that thing is a beauty.
See ya on the sand!
-Frank

blackwater
04-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Congrats on making the Brotherhood in style. :Big Grin:
Welcome to the team and let me give you a bit of advice. Never make a fishing bet with the Commander. :Angry:

troublehook
04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
You made it, congrats. :Applause:
From what I've been reading, you're proving that you belong with the elite. :Big Grin:

jinbow
04-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Hey Peter, you are killin it in every thread..hahahah Congratulations to you.

Albert (jinbow)

fishshep
04-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Hangin in there and persistant :Big Grin:

Congrats on your Catch !!!