PDA

View Full Version : San Gabriel River west fork

Bass Boy 14
04-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Hey Everyone,

Has anyone been to SGR in the west fork? Planning to go there on Friday and don't know what is gonna work. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks - BB

City Dad
04-03-2013, 11:51 AM
elkhair caddis, WD 40's

Bass Boy 14
04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Cool, thanks. How big are the trout up there? I assume they're a few inches.

Troutin Man
04-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Do you need an adventure pass to park up at the lot?

ScottyP
04-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Yes. You DO need an Adventure Pass to park at the lot. Have fun, take a trash bag with you, you'll see something you want to clean up. Good karma = Good fishing.

one long cast
04-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Scotty great statement ref. trash bag.

Moyniac
04-03-2013, 09:26 PM
I plan on going to the East Fork this Friday too!.. anyways, what works for me is small hooks with salmon eggs on them, also small flies. The trout aren't very big up there because their native. Hope this helped Good luck!!

carpanglerdude
04-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Very small fish, pretty creek, a little sluggish at various spots though. Clean it up:)

old pudd fisher
04-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Walk up the road a few miles, then it gets better. Bring a bike with ya which is good , down hill all the way back to 39. The road is paved.

gzank6
04-05-2013, 05:46 AM
Have fun, take a trash bag with you, you'll see something you want to clean up. Good karma = Good fishing.

Nice, that is really the best advice for West Fork... or any spot.

On a Friday, you shouldn't come across much traffic on the trail but hike/bike in a mile or two, past the second bridge at least.
I read last year that said adventure passes were no longer needed... don't quote me on this... i still use one. Some group sued over the legality of the pass and partially won. Rather ridiculous, the fee is put to good use and should remain.

carpanglerdude
04-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Nice, that is really the best advice for West Fork... or any spot.

On a Friday, you shouldn't come across much traffic on the trail but hike/bike in a mile or two, past the second bridge at least.
I read last year that said adventure passes were no longer needed... don't quote me on this... i still use one. Some group sued over the legality of the pass and partially won. Rather ridiculous, the fee is put to good use and should remain.

You are partially correct. The Forest Service lost the lawsuit. However, in the Angeles National Forest/San Gabriel, I have still seen them ticketing vehicles that do not display an adventure pass, as of two weeks ago. My understanding of this is that the Forest Service is still rolling out something of a 'gradual' compliance with the lawsuit terms, with some areas no longer needing the pass, and other areas with recreational amenities requiring it.

bowler
04-06-2013, 12:21 AM
You are partially correct. The Forest Service lost the lawsuit. However, in the Angeles National Forest/San Gabriel, I have still seen them ticketing vehicles that do not display an adventure pass, as of two weeks ago. My understanding of this is that the Forest Service is still rolling out something of a 'gradual' compliance with the lawsuit terms, with some areas no longer needing the pass, and other areas with recreational amenities requiring it.
The funny thing is I have been going up to the west fork for year before the adventure pass was around and you had to pay 5 bucks to park up there.