PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen this before?

PTN
04-02-2013, 11:58 PM
:Shocked: Any explanations?! Theories? And Yes, these two fish are the same one.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/04-02-13/b_zpsd8169acb.jpg

This fish was 20 inches, so it's had plenty of time to figure out where the eyes should go..

-Peter

Stalker Of Fish
04-03-2013, 12:04 AM
I believe I have seen this on a Simpsons episode .........LOL! Probably a genetic foul up..pollution?.....I hope you were not near the San Onofre P.S. !

PTN
04-03-2013, 12:07 AM
I believe I have seen this on a Simpsons episode .........LOL! Probably a genetic foul up..pollution?.....I hope you were not near the San Onofre P.S. !

:LOL: Haha, no I was not near the San Onofre Power Plant.

DockRat
04-03-2013, 06:36 AM
'And Yes, these two fish are the same one'

One is a lefty and one is a righty ? Same fish ?
What did it have only one eye on top ?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/mickeysindahouse/halibut-1.jpg

Knives
04-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Pretty strange that the bottem side never lost the pigmentation.

fish4keep
04-03-2013, 07:18 AM
This is the first time I've seen any like that. I've caught thousands of them.

murrieta angler
04-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Maybe they are able to move thier eyes from one side to the other?!?
Robert
<><

PTN
04-03-2013, 10:35 AM
This is a Righty halibut. I circled the eye to show you it was on the other side. You can see that this fish has no white side to it and has the dark pigmentation on both sides.

'And Yes, these two fish are the same one'

One is a lefty and one is a righty ? Same fish ?
What did it have only one eye on top ?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/mickeysindahouse/halibut-1.jpg

skunked4life
04-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Peter, to answer your original question: Yes. I have seen this. Not with Halibut though. Occasionally when we go to the Korean market and look in the fluke tank, there is a fluke that has no white side. It actually swims like a regular fish most of the time. Can't explain why or how it happens, but yes I have seen this.

Ken

bassfishing24/7
04-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Pretty wierd...i wonder if it has more meat if u filleted it?...

skunked4life
04-03-2013, 11:24 AM

ooh, that is interesting...

skunked4life
04-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Ok, I couldn't stop thinking about this thread so I did a little research instead of working...:Big Grin:

Halibut start with an eye on both sides and with the brown pigmentation on both sides when they are young. They swim upright. Eventually, one of the eyes moves over to the side of the other and the blind side starts to become white. At that point, they begin to migrate towards shallower waters. My guess is that the guy that you caught has an extremely slow maturing rate or has a birth defect. Interesting though. I also believe that this counts as an "exotic species." :Wink:

flyhigh123
04-03-2013, 11:41 AM
evolution.... it's tired of swimming on its side and decided to move it's eyes back to the other side...

bbqsushi
04-03-2013, 11:50 AM
That's pretty neato! A little creepy, but cool that its in some weird state of metamorphosis!! A good catch in any case - maybe you should play the Lotto this week?

bachiboy
04-03-2013, 12:10 PM
It's a genetic misfit...sorta like me!:LOL::Wink:

Wingnut
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
My first response to you last night was... "Is that a blind Halibut?!?" :LOL:

I fish with Bones... I've seen weirder things than that. :Big Smile:

PTN
04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
My first response to you last night was... "Is that a blind Halibut?!?" :LOL:

I fish with Bones... I've seen weirder things than that. :Big Smile:

:LOL: That's what I've been hearing about Bones.

PTN
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Peter, to answer your original question: Yes. I have seen this. Not with Halibut though. Occasionally when we go to the Korean market and look in the fluke tank, there is a fluke that has no white side. It actually swims like a regular fish most of the time. Can't explain why or how it happens, but yes I have seen this.

Ken

OH, that's pretty cool! I got to go check those flukes out at the Korean market. Thanks for researching Ken. :Big Grin:

This halibut was pretty skinny already but I think the side that was supposed to be white was flatter than the side with the eyes.

dlmoo312
04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
You really never know what you're going to pull out of the ocean! That's the first time i've seen a hali like that.. nice catch! lol

-Daniel

bloox8
04-03-2013, 05:27 PM
WTH....? Thats pretty weird and cool at the same time :LOL:

I was trying to figure out what you meant by "the same" and soon figured it out through the comments lol. I thought you meant the same species lol. But anyways.... thats weird.... Wish you had a salt water fish tank.

Thien

DockRat
04-04-2013, 05:40 AM
WTH....? Thats pretty weird and cool at the same time :LOL:

I was trying to figure out what you meant by "the same" and soon figured it out through the comments lol.

I thought he had 2 fish. That is very weird.