PDA

View Full Version : Quicky SWAT recon

Nipple Twister
03-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Had some scheduled appointments to keep in Orange County on Friday but not ‘til 11AM so what abetter excuse to kill some time then to do it in the surf?

Date: Friday, March 29,2013
Time: 0700-1030 hrs
A.O: Northern Orange County beaches
Water: Clear, cold, mostlysalad free
Surf: 1-2’ at best breakingfar off shore
Tide: +1’ incoming
Gear: 7’ Carrot Stixbaitcaster, Daiwa Luna loaded with 20 lb PowerPro green
Bait: Lucky Craft Flashminnow 110
Fish Count: 2 BSP

Got to the A.O. at greylight but knew it was too shallow but I was gonna use the time to get a better looksee of the sandy bottom with the low tide. Just prior to getting parked I was driving thru the old neighborhood I was waiting for a traffic light to change a very familiar white Ford pick-up truck went thru the intersection headin in the direction of the beach. As it turns out he followed me into the parking lot at MY A.O. We chatted a bit, told him I was on a recon mission with limited time and he said he had a spot in mind further north and would let me know via text if things look fishy.
As always, good to see you Pontoon….or is it Boss?……I can never remember…..
By 0700 it was time to get wet, making my way into the surf from my elevated observation point it sure seemed fishy…..wide flat areas of “nervous” waters I was flinging in the usual fan casting manor ready for a solid hook up based on how things looked……..after about 60 mins this guy hit the LC for my skunkbuster:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/032913a_zps1425c5fb.jpg

Ah, ok. With a quick CPR I was back to flinging…..
Another 60 mins and I am running out of time for this session…….”come’on Mr Flatty, bite the flashy Minnow”………
I get another headshakeless bite and a little more of a fight but in short order I bring this fatty to the sand:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/032913b_zpsff848687.jpg

She was ready to bust any minute, so much so as I grabbed a quick pic a surfer came by and asked what I do with the fish, she give birth right then to 6 or 8 little baby BSP’s……this guy was nice enough to help get her and her offspring back to water…cool dude,thx buddy!
Another 45 mins and I was outta time with nuttin else to report…….found some nice holes which I will revisit when I have better time and conditions…….this will pay off I’m sure!

Thanks for reading, ‘til next time….tight lines........................................and HAPPY EASTER TO ALL...

Which Way Out
03-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Good skunk buster John.

I was gonna head out today ( Sunday) and see if the ocean would give up something. I even tackle twitched and picked up a new LC yesterday. Then the rain came. So, just watching TV and listening to the WIN System.
Happy Easter to all.

WWO

PONTOON
03-31-2013, 05:26 PM
I had to laugh about the timing at the corner of Bolsa Chica and Warner.........both vehicles on their way to the AO with vehicle occupants after the same prey.:Cool:

Poseiden tried to cut my day short with catastropic failure within the Pluton gear box but this time I had the trusty back up Luna that will now be the go to first choice reel. Only one short halibut for me, not even picture worthy but a skunk buster of my own. :Envious:

Good job beating the skunk and I'm sure Poseiden will be rewarding you again real soon Buddy.:Thumbs Up:

PTN
03-31-2013, 06:51 PM
Nice and quick recon John. Sounds like the fish are finally moving at those beaches. Been hearing it's been somewhat slow. Thanks for the report!

-Peter

Jaysuuun
03-31-2013, 08:49 PM
John nice recon session! Those are some pigs ya got there

bones
03-31-2013, 10:07 PM
I like quickies........:ROFL:

Good job John!

bachiboy
04-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Way to go John! Two pigs better than none. Glad to see you out in the sand and hope to see you out there soon!

Don

skunked4life
04-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Nice short session! You busted the skunk, solidified the day with a second fish, and saved the lives of our future PB BSPs! Not to mention that you met a "cool" surfer dude willing to share the beach with an angler! Thanks for giving us OC anglers hope!

troublehook
04-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Short and sweet, those Perch are fat! Nice job out there man. :Big Grin:

Wingnut
04-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Quickie missions works for me John... :LOL:
Sometimes, I'm more productive in two hours than pounding the surf all day. :Wink: