PDA

View Full Version : Windswept Part 2 - Happy ending

Bassfan
03-31-2013, 10:38 AM
(See "Windswept" report from 3-10-13 for the beginning of this story.)
For the third time in a row my fishing day Saturday started by searching the lake bottom for my lost rod with an underwater camera. This time, after about 45 minutes – BINGO! There it was looking like a shipwreck on the bottom of the ocean, alone and silent.
Luckily the wind was not blowing at that time so I could stay above the spot without drifting away. I pulled out my homemade retriever made from the straps for my bimini top and old plumbing parts held together with a piece of rope. The straps get caught on everything they get near in my garage so they got drafted to do some good.
First throw with the retriever and Rod-on! Carefully eased it up to the surface and right there my day was a success. It had a coating of fine lake mud/silt all over it but with some cleanup, the team of Stradic and Phenix will fish again.
After that, I didn’t even care if I caught any fish but since it appeared to be a lucky day for me I did go on to catch 17 stripers, 9 kept and 8 thrown back. This was a good day!

DEVOREFLYER
03-31-2013, 11:17 AM
That rod snaggin' tool is the Mother of all Inventions, good thinking on your part. You had a VERY good day indeed.

MikesOcean
03-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Thats an AWESOME STORY!!! You will never forget! Congratz!

DMS
03-31-2013, 06:07 PM
YAAAAYY WTG Bassfan! That is so cool. You went through a lot of trouble and it paid off!

#1 Bass Acer
03-31-2013, 07:03 PM
bassfan u r lucky to find ur rod i lost mine on thusday there i am the guy that was there the other sunday in the white bass boat i saw my rod take off right in front of my eyes right as we were taking out our rods to leave after 2hre of no bites as im bringing my other rod in the way the rod got hit i knew it was a big stripey anyway if anyone finds it i would greatly appreciate it if it was returned to me thnx

DMS
03-31-2013, 07:55 PM
BassFan,
I think you might have a new side business there. Rapid Angler Rod Recovery. Sort of like searching for sunken treasure... I wonder what else might be down there????

trail blazer
03-31-2013, 08:23 PM
lol,,,,,,,,,great report,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,congrats

TroutOnly
04-01-2013, 09:01 AM
man that was cool you got it back ,instead of it staying down there forever,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bassfan
04-01-2013, 10:45 AM
I did see a nice anchor and chain but didn't take the time to to try after getting the rod back and doing a happy dance.
I probably should have tried to pull it up and given it to TO to replace his Flintstone rock anchor.
Other than that it was really barren down there, just a mud/sand bottom with regular patches of short vegitation. Occasionally a big largemouth bass or two would come over to flirt with my fish shaped camera. They weren't my type.
If I didn't get the rod this time I was just going to give up. Its too hard playing with a camera when there is fishing to be done!

BassFan,
I think you might have a new side business there. Rapid Angler Rod Recovery. Sort of like searching for sunken treasure... I wonder what else might be down there????

TroutOnly
04-01-2013, 11:59 AM
That nice anchor and chain was mine the u-bolt at the end of the chain came undone and went to the bottom,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DEVOREFLYER
04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
That nice anchor and chain was mine the u-bolt at the end of the chain came undone and went to the bottom,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Loctite is your friend, just sayin'.:Envious:

TroutOnly
04-01-2013, 12:27 PM
D/f i was changing anchors around and forgot to wrench the bolt tight ,,,,,i hate being senile,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fishincouple
04-01-2013, 12:35 PM
WOW! What a story! Good job on your catch! :Dancing Banana:

DEVOREFLYER
04-01-2013, 12:55 PM
D/f i was changing anchors around and forgot to wrench the bolt tight ,,,,,i hate being senile,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I know all about that senile thing and there is a test for it.

First you forget names, then you forget faces, then you forget to zip your fly and lastly you forget to unzip your fly.

I got the first three down pat, just waitin" for the last one to kick in.:Shocked:

Bassfan
04-01-2013, 01:00 PM

If I had known it was yours, I would have tried to get but my Mickey Mouse retriever may not have handled the weight. That was the first time I saw the anchor in 3 sessions with the camera. Its a bit of a needle in a haystack to locate something down there which explains the happy dance when I saw and retrieved my rod.
If you have a heftier retrieval tool I can give you an idea of where to drag but its not easy!

flyhigh123
04-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Good seeing you out on the water sat! Even better to hear that you got your rod back.

I did ok sat, picked up maybe 8 stripers and 2 6 pound kitties. Tried trolling around a bit too but i think its still too cold( picked up 2 on the troll).

Not much a report.

See you out there next time!

fishinone
04-01-2013, 03:46 PM
BassFan, I have a Whuppin stick that I can trade you for that rig!

How do you know?