PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-Wed-03-27-13 Rockpile-Chasing Tails!

Tunaslam
03-28-2013, 08:15 AM
I went fishing Wed. 3-27-13, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. Based on the exceptional catch of Yellowtail on Tuesday by the San Diego 75, Mission Belle 32, and Malihini 23. I talked Lal into another long trip down to San Diego to target Yellowtail. I awoke at 2:10 am and met Lal at his house in Cerritos at 3am. We launched out of Shelter Island in San Diego at 5:10 am, picked up a dynamite half scoop of slimy green sardines at EB. We cleared the Point at 5:40 am with our beginning destination being the Rockpile.

We arrived at the Rockpile at 7am. The Producer and Sea Adventure II were already anchored up. We were the first private boaters to arrive. We had heard the bite didn’t start until 10:30 am on Tuesday, so why didn’t we sleep in? Well you never want to miss the early bite, right? So we spent nearly four hours searching for Tails to no avail. We did catch a few Rockfish on serious meter marks. By 9:30 am the fleet was in place, all except the San Diego, which we assume had mechanical problems, as I’m sure they were sold out after their Tuesday results? There were also about 20 private boaters including Tuna Jihad!

Almost right on cue at 10:45 am, the birds went nuts, and not far off our port side we saw enormous boils and diving birds. Lal tossed a fly lined sardine and I threw out my favorite Yo Yo Iron. Tails were boiling all around us and within seconds sunk out. This continued for the next two hours, lots of birds; however the fish usually sunk out before anyone could get there?

We heard the frustration of the Captains on the Sport Boats, as they hollered we have fish under the boat, they are all around us, wind, wind , wind! Then, where did they go, and you’re kidding me, we have no hook ups? We saw the Mission Belle hang four fish; they ended the day with 12. Good job. We saw one private boater catch a Yellowtail, and another one was caught slow trolling. The Malihini caught one Yellowtail, and the San Diego subs, the Pride and Pacific Voyager caught none!

It was a down day? We always wonder how it can go from great fishing to sucky? Well we heard there were several earthquakes today, that has got to be the reason?

You take your chances and the results are not always what you expect?

Call it a day at 1pm with no signs of fish for nearly an hour. On the trailer at 2:15pm and in Cerritos by 5pm.

Thanks Lal, sorry I talked you into a long journey for nothing, yet that is fishing as we all know?

Hook up! Cory

DockRat
03-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Good effort. You'll get em next time.
DR

Cadillyak
03-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Dues paid. Trips line this are the reason why you have EPIC trips!!