PDA

View Full Version : BBL report after the hype 3/26/13

CrownTown
03-26-2013, 10:52 PM
After hearing all the hype, hit up big bear with a few friends looking for some nice trout. Brought my new 3 weight, and was really excited to try and catch a few fish on it. As soon as I got there I threw a few midges under an indicator, and was surprised how quickly I hooked up. The fishing was pretty steady, with a bite every few casts. Most fish were pretty decent size, and fought hard. A lot of shore anglers weren't getting any love on PB or spoons, but there was an occasional crawler fish. Jigs worked okay, just had to get them right into a big school. Biggest fish was just over 3 lbs, but most were decent sized.

The trip was a blast for the first hour or so, but then it almost felt like cheating. The fish didn't even seem hungry, it was more like throwing something in their face and pissing them off until they bit. There were big schools of fish, and all you needed to do was cast into them and make them angry. It was almost like fishing a pay lake right after a stocking or something. Not much sport to it. Good practice on the new rod, but little challenge. I'm new to fly fishing and wanted to try some new techniques, but I had no way of knowing if they really work of if I was just pissing some fish off.

A guy down there told me it was spawning time for the fish, and that they aren't eating, just attacking moving baits out of instinct. I don't know if trout can spawn in lakes, but maybe they still go through the motions? It sure did seem like they weren't eating, just getting irritated and attacking.

The trip was fun and a nice get away, but no substitute for the Sierras. I'm not complaining at all, just giving my two-cents on the fishing up there right now.

carpanglerdude
03-26-2013, 11:02 PM
You killed it! Congrats!

etaggart
03-27-2013, 06:30 AM
Nice job on the fly - sounds like they were really high in the water if you could see them and they were hitting under an indicator. Probably explains why my searching from the bottom up wasn't producing. I guess I gotta start carrying my reel with floating line in addition to the full-synch - Or can you say "Hey Eric, go buy a second fly rod - Tax returns should be coming in soon!"

Cheers,

Eric

tree
03-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Nice catch! What size tippet and leader were you using? I'm a fly fishing nooooob and was wondering how far down below the indicator your flies were as well.

Skyler
03-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Yeah, they are definitely in spawn mode. As for your question, rainbow trout in lakes do spawn, but they need to move up an inlet or outlet. The huge schools cruising the shore are generally last year's stockers that held over. They don't know any better, and often drop their eggs in the rocks. They won't hatch, and most will be eaten by carp.

The Fishing Queen
03-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Great report and beautiful trout!

CrownTown
03-27-2013, 05:51 PM
I was using a 5x leader and 5x tippet but you could get away with 3 or 4x. My first fly was only about 18" under the indicator, with my trailing midge 18" or so below that. Wasn't fishing it deep at all.

Troutin Man
03-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Great job out there. Love BBL this time of year. What part of the lake were u fishing? Again great job out there. I am totally jealous that you got to get out there!

Piss on Myspace
03-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Couldn't have said it any better myself CT. I felt the same way...too vulnerable, but im sure the 3wt was a blast

If your that observant on a day trip @ Bear, those sierras beauties better beware!

Cheers to honesty and sportsmanship.

...and to all the lurkers,

LEAVE YOUR BASKETS @ HOME & PINCH YOURS BARBS DOWN!!!

Stinkbait
03-30-2013, 09:23 PM
...and to all the lurkers,

LEAVE YOUR BASKETS @ HOME & PINCH YOURS BARBS DOWN!!!

Thanks for saying it. I am glad LMB don't taste good.