PDA

View Full Version : Mission to Fulfill S.W.A.T Challenge

PTN
03-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Planned a surf fishing session looking at promising conditions for grey light. Swells were supposed to be 1-3 feet but ended up being around 2-3+ feet. Water was around 58 degrees and clarity got better as it reached high tide. Fished an incoming high tide. Lots of bait fish present and bird diving close. Clear of salad.

Picked up a friend who has been really getting into surf fishing around 445AM and arrived at the AO around 6AM. It was pitch dark and I was using a Shimano Sedona 2500 on a LC ESGII 771HXF with 20lb. braid and FM110 in MS Ghost Jack Smelt. The new rod felt great. Sandy gave me this rod and only catch was to tell him how it was and to fish with it often :Cool:. The lure was gifted by the commander and I took it as him passing his fishing mojo to me :Big Grin:.

We were tossing our LC's in pitch darkness and I almost hit myself in the face a few times with the lure when I didn't realize how close it was when I retrieved it. The air was pretty cold and my friend Danny was manning it up in swim trunks and a sweater. He said the water felt warm but I could hear his teeth chattering :Razz:. We fished greylight and started to find holes but no fish in them.

As it hit around 830AM I get a nice hit and fish on. I brought my brother's GoPro and I didn't even turn it on for the fight :Embarrassed:. I was just excited for the first fish that I finally felt. The fish put on two good drag burns then just decided to be deadweight and get reeled in. I holler to Danny and tell him that I think it could be legal. I had to time the waves a couple of times to finally get it on dry sand so he could tail it. I finally turned on the camera after the fish came in and just got a video of taping/picturing the halibut with the release. Video is being uploaded soon. The halibut ends up measuring 22 inches but at the time I saw 23 for some reason :Confused:. My first legal in the surf! Thanks again Wingnut for the fishing mojo :LOL:. This fish was released as it was my first legal in the surf and hoping it grows even bigger for someone else to catch another day. My 4th legal for the year overall though.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/03-26-13/IMG_0601_zps0e7f9143.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/03-26-13/IMG_0602_zps8e35998f.jpg

We tried for another hour and a half and I only got one more hit that I lost. Just another fish story with the fishing pulling good drag and popping off. Danny switched over to the gulp sandworm to get the skunk off and he ended up catching two large smelt, a perch, and a 1 1/2 foot leopard.
He was pretty excited with his catches because he's had the skunk on his back the last couple of sessions he's been on and I know that feeling where you finally catch a fish :Smile:.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/03-26-13/IMG_0603_zpsf6959b22.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/03-26-13/IMG_0606_zps5e3cf5bb.jpg

Although I did end up catching another species, I don't know if this counts as exotic :ROFL:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/03-26-13/IMG_0608_zps3416546c.jpg

Guys? This counts right? :LOL: At least the lure matches the bait fish out there.

We head over to the next AO off the rocks for a quick session and I end up picking up a 20 inch hali on a really fast retrieve and Danny didn't get any.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/03-26-13/IMG_0609_zps4caed954.jpg

Although I didn't succeed in completing the S.W.A.T. challenge, I still reached one of my goals to catch a legal in the surf and enjoyed the day with a good friend. Ended the day on a good note and hope everyone the best out there. Let's hope these are signs of a good fishing year. Thanks for reading.

-Peter

skunked4life
03-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Was that your first legal butt? Congratulations on both the legal and the short! Two in one day! That is an accomplishment on its own. The most important part is that you are furthering our cause by nurturing your friend's interest in the sport. Hope to see you out there one day.

Hardcor
03-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Hard work pays off. Nice report. Congratulations !

bachiboy
03-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Way to go Peter! That legal and pancake are just the beginning of a great year for you I'm sure. I'll predict that the challenge will be met soon. Hope you and your family have a great holiday weekend. Looking forward to fishing together with you again soon.

Congrats!!!
Don

bbqsushi
03-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Nice Peter!! I'm on the same mission, as I received my challenge a few weeks ago - but I've only pulled in one pancake to speak of so far. You're one step ahead of me with your legal. Actually you're two steps ahead - you caught an "exotic". Hehehehhhh. Hope to see you out in the surf - we can attack together, and call it a joint Jr mission!

Congrats on the 22 1/2 incher. (clearly its bigger than 22"!! If the camera was shifted over a bit, it would have been a 23"!! :Surprised:)
Nate

PTN
03-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Was that your first legal butt? Congratulations on both the legal and the short! Two in one day! That is an accomplishment on its own. The most important part is that you are furthering our cause by nurturing your friend's interest in the sport. Hope to see you out there one day.

It wasn't my first legal butt but my first surf legal butt :Smile:. Thanks for the congrats and hope to see you on the sand as well.

Hard work pays off. Nice report. Congratulations !

Thanks Hardcor :Smile:.

Way to go Peter! That legal and pancake are just the beginning of a great year for you I'm sure. I'll predict that the challenge will be met soon. Hope you and your family have a great holiday weekend. Looking forward to fishing together with you again soon.

Congrats!!!
Don

Thank you Don! Happy Easter to you too and see you on the sand again!

Nice Peter!! I'm on the same mission, as I received my challenge a few weeks ago - but I've only pulled in one pancake to speak of so far. You're one step ahead of me with your legal. Actually you're two steps ahead - you caught an "exotic". Hehehehhhh. Hope to see you out in the surf - we can attack together, and call it a joint Jr mission!

Congrats on the 22 1/2 incher. (clearly its bigger than 22"!! If the camera was shifted over a bit, it would have been a 23"!! :Surprised:)
Nate

I'm all for the joint JR. mission! Thanks for the words and let's work on that challenge list!

-Peter

Jaysuuun
03-28-2013, 04:28 AM
Peter congrats on your first surf legal! I have no doubt that your challenge will be met soon. The season is still young and there has already been a good number of legals being landed. I just picked up that same pattern today at my LFS ( I really need to stop buying more LCs. I collect them like action figures LOL) Hmmmm I think I may pick up a pair of lip grippers like yours. They look much lighter to carry and less likely to corrode.

Nice job putting your buddy on some fish. He needs a pair of rubber booties or something LOL

FishinElectrician
03-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Nice report, bro!!! Thats a nice pattern LC! I might just have to go get that one!

I used to have one of those Abus your buddy has! I loved that reel. Some piece of trash stole it off one of my rods on the Monte Carlo waaay back. The drag is a trip on those reels. I wish Abu still made em!!!

Thanks for the great report!

dlmoo312
03-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Congratulation on your first legal out of the surf!
I'm sure the "challenge" has got you motivated to hit the surf extra hard :Big Grin:
I'm excited to see what you'll be pulling out of the surf in the future! Good luck out there!

-Daniel

Wingnut
03-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Peter, congrats on your first of many legal surf Halibut. You never forget your first. :Razz:
The MISSION continues... good luck! :Big Grin:
Tell Sandy if he wants to join us in the surf one of these days, let me know. :Wink:
Looking forward to seeing him and the rest of the Lucky Craft Crew at HG5. :Cool:

Which Way Out
03-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Peter let me first say congrats on the mission invite. I hope you accomplish it soon, and can help out the other prospects.

The bite looks good for so early in the season. I predict you will "git er done" before you know it. A little redneck humor, right Arthur?:Wink:

Good luck

WWO

murrieta angler
03-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Nice looking legal Peter! :Smile:
I also think it was at least 22 1/2".
But what difference does it make, your gonna get a bigger one real soon here...:Big Grin:.....RIGHT!?! :LOL:
Now get out there this weekend, grab some grunion and get some flatties...:Wink:
Take care,
Robert
<><

PTN
03-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Peter congrats on your first surf legal! I have no doubt that your challenge will be met soon. The season is still young and there has already been a good number of legals being landed. I just picked up that same pattern today at my LFS ( I really need to stop buying more LCs. I collect them like action figures LOL) Hmmmm I think I may pick up a pair of lip grippers like yours. They look much lighter to carry and less likely to corrode.

Nice job putting your buddy on some fish. He needs a pair of rubber booties or something LOL

Thanks Jason. These lippers are very handy and they are called "the Fish Grip JR". The girlfriend got me the JR. size since the seller convinced her that the smaller size can still grip bigger fish. They are made of plastic and stainless steel. Supposedly it says they float but haven't tried that one out yet.

Nice report, bro!!! Thats a nice pattern LC! I might just have to go get that one!

I used to have one of those Abus your buddy has! I loved that reel. Some piece of trash stole it off one of my rods on the Monte Carlo waaay back. The drag is a trip on those reels. I wish Abu still made em!!!

Thanks for the great report!

Thank you FishinElectrician. My buddy likes the reel but he's wants a new baitcaster that's super smooth.

Congratulation on your first legal out of the surf!
I'm sure the "challenge" has got you motivated to hit the surf extra hard :Big Grin:
I'm excited to see what you'll be pulling out of the surf in the future! Good luck out there!

-Daniel

Thanks Daniel! The challenge has put my fishing addiction to an obsession again :Big Grin:.

Peter, congrats on your first of many legal surf Halibut. You never forget your first. :Razz:
The MISSION continues... good luck! :Big Grin:
Tell Sandy if he wants to join us in the surf one of these days, let me know. :Wink:
Looking forward to seeing him and the rest of the Lucky Craft Crew at HG5. :Cool:

Thanks Arthur. Good luck on super secret state of the art SWAT weaponry! :Shocked:. Will give you a live update if I do head out tomorrow.

Peter let me first say congrats on the mission invite. I hope you accomplish it soon, and can help out the other prospects.

The bite looks good for so early in the season. I predict you will "git er done" before you know it. A little redneck humor, right Arthur?:Wink:

Good luck

WWO

Thank you WWO for the support.:Smile:

Nice looking legal Peter! :Smile:
I also think it was at least 22 1/2".
But what difference does it make, your gonna get a bigger one real soon here...:Big Grin:.....RIGHT!?! :LOL:
Now get out there this weekend, grab some grunion and get some flatties...:Wink:
Take care,
Robert
<><

Thanks Robert. I might be poaching your AO tomorrow:Cool:.

-Peter

troublehook
04-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Congrats on your first legal Flatty. The Commander's LCs sure do hold some special magic. :Envious:
Now go out and get a bigger one. :Big Grin: