PDA

View Full Version : Ways to fish the Senko at DVL

khanhqpham
03-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Trying to step up my game at DVL and moving up from the Drop Shot Roboworms to the land of Mr Yamamoto"s Senko. Can i still continue to use 4 lb seaguar or to I need to move up to 6-8lb. Can i put 6 lb line on a shimano Chronarch 50E (baitcaster) Do most people wacky rig, t-rig, split shot, split shot with a mojo weight, nail weight, weightless, flick shake jig?? How about 5 lb sunline? Thanks in advance for your advice!!

Matt_Magnone
03-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Trying to step up my game at DVL and moving up from the Drop Shot Roboworms to the land of Mr Yamamoto"s Senko. Can i still continue to use 4 lb seaguar or to I need to move up to 6-8lb. Can i put 6 lb line on a shimano Chronarch 50E (baitcaster) Do most people wacky rig, t-rig, split shot, split shot with a mojo weight, nail weight, weightless, flick shake jig?? How about 5 lb sunline? Thanks in advance for your advice!!

in complete honesty, as i began reading your post i was thinking about ways to answer your questions. when i got done i literally couldnt. the knowledge you have on technique, ways to fish and gear used is half the battle. what it really is going to come down to is you getting on the water and experimenting. there's no right or wrong way to fish a bait. what works for me may not work for you.

start of wacky rigging and then go from there. depending on size of bait, adjust rigging and line size you plan on using.

heavy cover ; heavy line
clear water; light line
small forage; small baits
large forage; large baits
light baits; spinning rod
large baits; baitcaster

you have the working knowledge. what you will find is the that the senko is A LOT easier than you're thinking.

good luck man.

craz_yPANDA
03-26-2013, 07:58 PM

idk because i am a newbie to bass fishing. however, the first time i went fishing with my dad, i was using a baitcaster with 30 lb braid and the worm was a gary yamamoto 6 inch (dark purple brownish color) and i caught a 6 pounder. i was doing a t-rig and i believe i used this hook (bullet type weight) 39827 Good luck out there!

tree
03-26-2013, 08:17 PM
heavy cover ; heavy line
clear water; light line
small forage; small baits
large forage; large baits
light baits; spinning rod
large baits; baitcaster

you have the working knowledge. what you will find is the that the senko is A LOT easier than you're thinking.

good luck man.

Good tips here.

Hey Khanh! my buddy did well today at DVL on a slim senko. I've also seen the senko worked with the same action as a fluke/walkthedog when the fish are really active.

as far as what line to put on the chronarch 50e, I would suggest also to keep in mind the rod it is paired with, and what the rod's line suggestions are as well.

khanhqpham
03-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Thanks guys. Gonna test more on the water... That is... if my better half allows me a hall pass to get on the water! Wat up Steve!!!

Riverdale
03-27-2013, 07:45 AM
One of my favorite ways to fish a Senko is weightless t-rig and on top as a search bait.Hold the tip of your rod up(spinning) and give short while reeling in pumps to create a snake like swim action on top water with semi slack line.If they are hungry and curious they will slam it!!!Bait can be allowed to drop horizontal at any time during the retrieve and alot of times will get hit as it floats down all wiggly. Sometimes if its a big blow up I will follow with a well placed frog!!!Bait & switch LOL P.S. this is a general technique not so much a DVL one but try it!.Hope that helps!!!

Caliyak
03-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Senko is my "go to" rig for bass fishing. I can fish it year round. I'm not familiar with DVL. I fish a senko on a spinning reel, 8lbs mono and a worm hook T-rig with no weight. I've tried with smaller line size and it felt like the worm was going to snap off. So 8lb was the smallest line that held up. As for style, I fish it the way it was meant to be fished and I also fish the worm with my pole horizontal so it's not jumping but dragging and popping. The key to this set up, for me, to fish with patience and slow down. The worm needs to fall and wiggle.
Also, if price and the boss is counting your pennies is an issue, go to the Strike King Shim E stick. Just as good and effective. I hope this helps eventhough I'm not familiar with your lake.

Stormcrow
03-27-2013, 10:13 AM
In reply to Matts info which is spot on, if you are looking for a general consensus on line. I would fish 10lb super sniper flouro leader. It has the diameter of 6lb test. The reason I suggest that is because a good portion of the time you fish a senko at DVL, you will be throwing it above trees or in brush. If you hook a decent fish, they immediately head for deeper water or deep cover. You may have to horse them out of where they are. With 6lb test you may hook more fish but you will lose more too.

I do NOT recommend 10lb mono....too thick.

Stinkbait
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Extra fast 7" foot rod. 6-8 lb test wacky rigged. I'm trying the weedless wacky hooks this year. So far the fish are not cooperating with the extra wire.
Throw it out in 10-15 foot of water.
Take a nap. Wake up and reel tight and a fish is on.
Kind of funny take on the wait for a 4-5" senko to sink out.

DEVOREFLYER
03-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Slim Senko flylined with no weight and wait, wait, wait is my SKUNK BUSTER.

DVL_Local
03-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Neko rigged or weightless for me.

DVL_Local

skatino
03-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Such a loaded question, it could really start alot of different how to fish this rig.

I fish most my senkos on 6 lb test on spinning gear.
Wacky rigged 4" and 5", nail-weight or no nail-weight depending on depth, wind, boat speed (important as I am a co-angler in the FLW). I cashed a check earlier this year throwing a nail weighted 4" wacky rigged senko on Oroville. Shook it on a slack line. That method works awesome out in the quarry on DVL during the winter when the are sitting in like 50-feet of water.

If I am texas rigging, a 5 or 6" senko I will throw on 12lb fluoro.

Also, what I call the coangler's best friend, consider a 5" thin senko in green pumpkin black fleck, texas rigged on a small EWG hook (no weight) with 8 lb fluoro. This is like a drop shot for me when the fish are deep, I know I can put fish in the boat with it.

Good luck, hope I didn't confuse you too much!

Steve

PS. The bass in my avatar came from the quarry on a 5" smoke black fleck senko April 2012. 6 lb test, wacky rigged with no nail-weight. Fish weighed 6.5 lbs.

AnglerBob
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
There's some great info on rigging the senko on Gary Yamamoto's site here:

http://www.insideline.net/index.php/feature-genfishing/219-a-guide-to-modern-rigging

And an article here, a few years old but still useful:

http://www.insideline.net/articles/gary-senko.html

Lots of good stuff here not just about rigging but size/color selection.