PDA

View Full Version : Help a begginer out

Berdjm
03-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone this is my first post here. I picked up fishing about a year ago and just recently discovered pyramid lake. I made a couple visits there with a friend last week but no results. I was hoping you guys can give me a few pointers to help.

We are fishing from the concrete channel at the entrance. Thats where everyone else was too. For bait I had fresh and frozed sardines. 12lb florocarbon line. #2 octopus hooks
. 1.5 egg sinker. carolina rig.

Any advice or change of tackle would be grately appreciated. Also we would like to know how to propperly bait the hook. We are just cutting the sardines to chunks and placing on hook. We saw some people using mackerel. How does that work, and jow would you hoom that.

Thank you everyone for any advice and suggestions

fishinarteest
03-26-2013, 12:51 PM
I haven't been to pyramid in a couple of years but, my advice would be too rent a boat, and get a portable fishfinder. with these you can reach the fish at there appropriate depths. If you can't get the fishfinder then mark your line at every few feet starting at the 40ft line, and continue to mark it every 10ft. next you might wanna try using lighter line, like 8lb test. this is all I can think of for right now cause i haven't fished the lake in a while. But the regulars here im sure will give much more helpful info. Almost forgot to write this, for sardines i like to cut them in half and hook them that way, sometimes cut of just the head or the tail and use the rest of the body, but i rarely do that, mainly cuz i don't always think to. And for mackerel i just cut out chunks and use those.

flyhigh123
03-26-2013, 02:03 PM
i dont have any experience with fishing at the channel, but if you are going for stripers, out by the marina could be better after a trout stocking. But not sure if those stripers are interested in sardine's. I agree to rent a boat and then you can read our reports to learn from them.

fishfinder
03-27-2013, 07:27 PM
sounds like you are doing everything alright. the fishing from shore there is hit and miss, with more miss than hit. try 6-8 lb line would be be the only thing i could say to try diff.

snospdr
03-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Okay, contact T/O (Trout Only) guide service and you will get in one day...or a half day....all you need to know. Spend some money to have him take you out. You will learn in one day what you would otherwise spend months or years learning.

fishinarteest
03-28-2013, 11:20 AM
sounds like you are doing everything alright. the fishing from shore there is hit and miss, with more miss than hit. try 6-8 lb line would be be the only thing i could say to try diff.

This is my main reason for not fishing at pyramid as much as I used to. Because I lost access to a boat when my friend moved and even when the bite is hot, you can still easily skunk on shore.

trail blazer
03-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Okay, contact T/O (Trout Only) guide service and you will get in one day...or a half day....all you need to know. Spend some money to have him take you out. You will learn in one day what you would otherwise spend months or years learning.

Money spent with T/O will be money saved in the future bigtime!!

TRAIL BLAZER

dkinla
03-28-2013, 12:42 PM
I fish the inlet sometimes and usually manage at least 1-2 stripers and maybe a catfish or two :Big Grin:

I use long 8lb fluoro leaders with size 4 baitholders with nightcrawlers/bloodworms/lugworms. I also use size 2/0 red Owner mosquito hooks with cut fresh/frozen sardines. It's good idea to try at least 2 different baits when you go.. Don't just rely on 1 bait

I use anywhere from 1-6oz flat coin sinkers on those sinker slides (c-rig) depending on the current at the inlet. If u see your line dragging way to your left.. Then obviously your weight is too light. And you'll really annoy anyone fishing to your left if your line keeps moving into their line and gets tangled. I try using whatever weight keeps my bait relatively in front of me.

We put some bells on the rods and just kick back until we get a bite. Sometimes we catch.. Sometimes we don't. But at least we're out relaxing by the water.

Here's a link to some pictures of what the sinker slides look like. Can easily swap out your weights depending on the current. You can find these at your local tackle store. Not sure if Walmart carries them.

http://shop.seastriker.com/sinkerslides.html

Hope this helps.