PDA

View Full Version : Spots

FishingNotCatching
03-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Hi there, long-time lurker first-time poster here. Heading out to DVL next week and was hoping someone could give me a few general areas to focus on. I've been to the lake twice before and have had trouble finding fish. Usually I cruise the banks and coves sight-fishing but have had only a little bit of luck. I'm not asking for GPS coordinates, though I certainly wouldn't turn them down :Wink: I'll be renting a boat and would love to have a better idea of where to head from the marina to have a chance at catching more than the 1 or 2 LMBs I've caught there over the past 2 years. Thanks in advance. And don't worry your secret is safe with me and my buddy, if he decides to come at all.

Matt_Magnone
03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Hi there, long-time lurker first-time poster here. Heading out to DVL next week and was hoping someone could give me a few general areas to focus on. I've been to the lake twice before and have had trouble finding fish. Usually I cruise the banks and coves sight-fishing but have had only a little bit of luck. I'm not asking for GPS coordinates, though I certainly wouldn't turn them down :Wink: I'll be renting a boat and would love to have a better idea of where to head from the marina to have a chance at catching more than the 1 or 2 LMBs I've caught there over the past 2 years. Thanks in advance. And don't worry your secret is safe with me and my buddy, if he decides to come at all.

its funny, i highly doubt anyone will chime in on areas as the locale we live in many anglers feel the need to guard spots with their lives. while i believe its good to keep some things secret, i do believe in sharing the wealth.

if you really want to catch more than 1 or 2 fish, all you have to do is fish as many points in the lake as you can. drop shot anything earth toned with as light a weight as you can get away with under the conditions you're faced with that given day. say the drop shot isn't your deal and you're more of a jig and worm guy; same thing applies. year round you really dont need to fish deeper than 15 or 20' of water. there are plenty of fish that relate shallow on a yearly basis. while the majority of the population may be deep; you'll always find fish shallow. point hop until you find your fish, understand what they're feeding on and how they're positioned on that given spot then milk every spot that fits into your game plan.

in the spring and summer months, there really isnt any spots to focus on. the "larger" fish are spot fish. the general population are literally on every inch of that lake. close your eyes and point to the map and i can guarantee there's fish in the vicinity. use your head and try to think why the spot that you're fishing is holding fish. where did they come from? where are the moving to or what's their motivation for moving to that spot.

you'll get em!

FishingNotCatching
03-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Much appreciated, Matt. I know most guys are going to protect their spots like gold and I don't blame them. That's why I was asking for general areas (like the dam or Rawson's cove) rather than an actual spot. Your post helps though, that's for sure.

DEVOREFLYER
03-26-2013, 06:16 AM
Let me tell you my "Dirty Little Secret" to finding fishing spots. And it works at any lake with a history time line as water levels rise and fall, but it is especially great for DVL as the water level change in 2009 was huge.

Go to Google Earth and search for Diamond Valley Lake, zoom in on any part of the lake shoreline area, then click on Historical Imagery. Slide the Historical Imagery control bar to 6/05/2009. 6/2009 was the LOWEST time of the lake, compare this to the current Google Earth and you will see the points and humps now covered by water. Or you could just buy a Lake Map that shows the contours and spots. However ya still got to catch um. :Smile:

jd
03-26-2013, 02:24 PM
I fished today and didn't get a bite until 9:00 am then got 10 fish in an hour. All on dropshot in 10 to20 ft. with brn 4in. worms. All on secondery points. Lite line, lite sinker, small hooks.

FishingNotCatching
03-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Let me tell you my "Dirty Little Secret" to finding fishing spots. And it works at any lake with a history time line as water levels rise and fall, but it is especially great for DVL as the water level change in 2009 was huge.

Go to Google Earth and search for Diamond Valley Lake, zoom in on any part of the lake shoreline area, then click on Historical Imagery. Slide the Historical Imagery control bar to 6/05/2009. 6/2009 was the LOWEST time of the lake, compare this to the current Google Earth and you will see the points and humps now covered by water. Or you could just buy a Lake Map that shows the contours and spots. However ya still got to catch um. :Smile:

That's funny, I've actually been looking at Google Earth trying to see anything. But I didn't know about the historical imagery thing. Thanks for that, will definitely check it out.