PDA

View Full Version : birth, death, rebirth - 03/23 report

skunked4life
03-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Birth - Well, the last couple of weeks have been hectic with the new baby. Still managed to get some time on the surf to do some "recon."

Death - Newport has not been this dead in ages.

Saturday morning came by and I decided to do some actual recon to see if it would be worth taking my father out that day. Conditions were pretty decent on paper. Arrived at my usual haunt at grey light. I hit the sand and cast a few times. Not a nibble on the old LC. Then, I feel a snag. There was a lot of salad out this morning. Wait, maybe this isn't a snag after all. Line starts peeling....zzzzzzzzzz. I know this ain't halibut. I try to set the drag and while my thumb is on the spool, I get overtaken by a rogue wave. Dunk, dunk dunk.... I gathered myself fast enough to cut the line and get to shore. I find a massive bird's nest and that my handles won't turn! I get to a lifeguard tower and start working on the birds nest. I had about 80 yards left on my spool so maybe I can salvage my outing. I take the spool out and place it on the ladder. I almost get most of the nest out and then the spool falls to the sand. I reach for the spool but did not have enough slack on the line that was still on and the rod and exposed reel fall in the sand. Wow! I cut the line as much as possible and gather myself to make the walk of shame to my car. Death is now imminent. Poor Chrony.

Rebirth - Well, here is the actual report for anyone interested. There are signs of life back in Newport. There were a couple of long-rodders looking for sharks but leaving with YFCs. There were a few fly-fisherman that were catching decent sized BSPs. There were a few others fishing with limited success. Ok, maybe the aftermath of the dredging has settled and this area is back in business.

After a long session in surgery, I am happy to report that Chrony is also re-born. It took some doing but the reel feels like new. Now to get some new line and get back out there!!!

Thanks for reading!

bachiboy
03-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Wow, glad you were able to get out there Ken but not fun dunking the reel in the sand...been there, done that. Be careful of the level-wind pawl and guide shaft. Make sure you take it off and clean that out real good. I didn't and the grit in there wore down the pawl to the point where the level wind would hang at the edges/ends of the guide shaft. It's a cheap part that you can order easily from Shimano, but just a pain to deal with in the middle of a session...usually discovered by all the line winding up on one side of the reel and binding the spool up. :LOL: Well, least you're back in business. Go get 'em!!!

Don

skunked4life
03-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Wow, glad you were able to get out there Ken but not fun dunking the reel in the sand...been there, done that. Be careful of the level-wind pawl and guide shaft. Make sure you take it off and clean that out real good. I didn't and the grit in there wore down the pawl to the point where the level wind would hang at the edges/ends of the guide shaft. It's a cheap part that you can order easily from Shimano, but just a pain to deal with in the middle of a session...usually discovered by all the line winding up on one side of the reel and binding the spool up. :LOL: Well, least you're back in business. Go get 'em!!!

Don

Thanks Don. Actually, it wasn't just the reel that was dunked. I went under completely. :Sad: Yeah, I took the whole damned reel apart and got everything cleaned out. I should have just gone down to shimano but I am impatient lately and have been itching to go out there every spare minute that I have. Going to get new line tomorrow. Thanks for the advice though!

Ken

bachiboy
03-25-2013, 03:38 PM
It's better to do it yourself so that you become more familiar with the parts and how it goes back together should you need to do repairs while out in the battlefield.:Wink:

PTN
03-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the report. I think fishing is picking up everywhere soon :Smile:.

-Peter

Jaysuuun
03-25-2013, 11:46 PM
S4L first of all congrats on the new baby.

Getting dunked sucks especially at 6am. Don't ask me how I know.:Neutral:

Just a quick tip, set your drag prior to your surf outing and if you need to make any changes while you're out there, make small changes without your lure in the water. Set it and forget it. You can always add more drag during the fight by thumbing the spool. Adjusting your settings with a fish on usually spells disaster. Again, don't ask me how I know.

Glad to hear about the rebirth of your reel.

Wingnut
03-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Been there, done that Ken... now, I always carry a back up reel. :Wink:
Glad to see you found a little bit of time to get out. :Big Grin:

skunked4life
03-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Been there, done that Ken... now, I always carry a back up reel. :Wink:
Glad to see you found a little bit of time to get out. :Big Grin:

Unfortunately, I have no back-up baitcaster reel right now. Looking for one, but I cannot decide on whether to stay with Shimano or go with one of those round lexas that the big boys use! :LOL:

troublehook
04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Unfortunately, I have no back-up baitcaster reel right now. Looking for one, but I cannot decide on whether to stay with Shimano or go with one of those round lexas that the big boys use! :LOL:
The Daiwa Lexa is a low profile baitcaster, the Luna is the round baitcaster. The Luna is the one that most of the SWAT guys use. :Wink:

skunked4life
04-01-2013, 05:42 PM
The Daiwa Lexa is a low profile baitcaster, the Luna is the round baitcaster. The Luna is the one that most of the SWAT guys use. :Wink:

Thanks. That's the one! Luna it is! Arthur, we will be needing a luna at the hg5 event please! :Big Grin: