PDA

View Full Version : Calico Bass Fishing Video and HUGE Hali

socalfisher06
03-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Well I got to fish for calicos the second time in my life.. ist okay....

Hali was first cast and went about 30 pounds. Big fish was 4.5 and we had a few 3.5s mixed in the bunch..

majority of the fish came on Reebs Lures Kelp Assassins in the 1.5 oz size in reds, browns, and oranges.

great day of fishing and enjoy the video! I thought I matched up the music well with the bites ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AkjmftKW5n8

LbcLakers
03-19-2013, 09:42 PM
good video and nice looking bass. Thanks for sharing

saltman
03-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Hey Bro's

Nice looking halibut and calico bass awesome video. My friend was out there on Monday and put the hammer to them!

Saltman.

CrownTown
03-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Awesome report and video. Nice looking fish, reminds me of fresh water bass fishing the way yal are flipping into the kelp

DockRat
03-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Welcome to FNN. That is a huge Hali.
(1) Questions; Is the video a commercial for the swimbaits used ?
(2) Can you make a video with out spelling out the location and showing background pics of where ?
I know several SP fishermen that have been waiting for it to warm up so the can put some Calicos under the knife http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l578/Sparling_Wine/knifeicon.jpg
Same thing happened to the Lobster fishery a few years ago, guys would spill there guts online. End result, MORE LAWS, CROWDS, and THE LOBSTER CARD. MLPA closed areas.
DR

etucker1959
03-20-2013, 08:42 AM
(2) Can you make a video with out spelling out the location and showing background pics of where ?
I know several SP fishermen that have been waiting for it to warm up so the can put some Calicos under the knife http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l578/Sparling_Wine/knifeicon.jpg
Same thing happened to the Lobster fishery a few years ago, guys would spill there guts online. End result, MORE LAWS, CROWDS, and THE LOBSTER CARD. MLPA closed areas.
DR

DockRat your comments came off as being jealous and paranoid. I know PV is your home territory but relax. You give FNN too much credit, with W.O.N. 976-Tuna, Bloody decks, radio programs etc,etc, etc reporting about Saltwater fishing on a daily basis, FNN is small potatoes. Also when does the Calico limit drop to 5? If your soooo worried about Calicos being killed at PV, I've got a new job for you. Go to the local sportfishing landings who fish PV and start protesting how many Calicos they kill in one year. It's in the thousands, tens of thousands and your worried about a few skiffs who could kill what 10?

socalfisher06
03-20-2013, 11:26 AM
DR

Sorry if I came off the wrong way! I just put a little edit together. In no way am I trying to give off locations. In fact I feel that the angle of the camera limits what you can see. So I tried somewhat but not to some people's standards. On the swimbait issue, I am sponsored by Reebs Lures so I was showing my support back to the company. I was not advertising their product. I bet I would have gotten a few questions on what baits I was using if I had not said so in the video.

I am sorry I produced this video. I was just trying to share my love of saltwater bass fishing in other people's direction.

-Will

TUNAVIC
03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Great job guys,nice video,and great to see those nice Checkerboards go back in the water, Bubba and I should be there Friday, 23ft Black n White C/C Robalo,maybe we will see you,or the Rubber Duckey.

Cya TunaVic

socalfisher06
03-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Great job guys,nice video,and great to see those nice Checkerboards go back in the water, Bubba and I should be there Friday, 23ft Black n White C/C Robalo,maybe we will see you,or the Rubber Duckey.

Cya TunaVic

Going to CAT Saturday and fishing spottys on Sunday

etucker1959
03-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Sorry if I came off the wrong way! I just put a little edit together. In no way am I trying to give off locations. In fact I feel that the angle of the camera limits what you can see. So I tried somewhat but not to some people's standards. On the swimbait issue, I am sponsored by Reebs Lures so I was showing my support back to the company. I was not advertising their product. I bet I would have gotten a few questions on what baits I was using if I had not said so in the video.

I am sorry I produced this video. I was just trying to share my love of saltwater bass fishing in other people's direction.

-Will

The best video I'v'e every seen on FNN. Now the OP is sorry for producing it because of some negative comments. Thanks alot people.!!!!!!!!!!

etucker1959
03-20-2013, 01:02 PM
DR

Hey DockRat why don't you spend your time arguing about nothing in the General discussion section. Seems to be alot of that going around lately!!!!!

socalfisher06
03-20-2013, 01:52 PM
The best video I'v'e every seen on FNN. Now the OP is sorry for producing it because of some negative comments. Thanks alot people.!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the support!!

-Will

ml8fish
03-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Video was rad! i think blurring out BGs is lame, if someone wants to go use the exact spot where i caught whatever, go for it, illl write you directions, if you have time and are gonna wake up early and get to my spot, ill share it with you:LOL:. this is what reports are all about. the private fishing is not gonna dent anything compared to the party boats that go out twice a day in numbers, plus at this time of year anywhere from malibu to carp is gonna produce some great days especially for dudes who are gonna fish that close to the kelp, you gotta have a lil skill or your wrapping and snapping lines all day. way to go out and kill em. keep it coming.

SpinnerBaitKing
03-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Great job guys. I am so ready to launch this boat in the water and hook it up. Keep up the awesome videos man!

SpinnerBaitKing
03-20-2013, 02:23 PM
These guys have done a few videos. I catch their stuff on YouTube. These guys are the best. I live in South El MOnte so I rely on locals. Thanks again guys. We don't keep too many Calis; I like Sandies more. I always feel guilty killing a Cali. Sometimes they gulp it and ya just can't help it.

socalfisher06
03-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the support! Glad people enjoy it! More to come!

Hooked Up
03-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Nice flattie! Great job on the C & R of the Calico's! :Cool: Not bad for only the 2nd time fishing them!

socalfisher06
03-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Nice flattie! Great job on the C & R of the Calico's! :Cool: Not bad for only the 2nd time fishing them!

Hali was released to lol

DockRat
03-20-2013, 07:32 PM
SCfisher06, No biggie. You can post whatever you want. I'll I'm saying is if you want more hookups and a better fishery than less info is better. I mentioned a spot once in a post and got a PM from highly respected SWAT member asking me remove the name of the location because he felt the area shouldn't get any more added pressure. So I did, and he was right.

Etucker, Lol. You don't think the skiffs hammer the kelp. :LOL:
You should have seen the Cali's my old neighbor at a SP marina would bring in gutted. Lots of limits 3 - 5 lb Checkers bi-weekly. You sure don't post up your trips (if you fish). But plenty of threads asking for info. Try using a rod instead of a mouse sometime. http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh99/ard2pic/Smile%20Icon/mouse.gif :LOL:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/almondjoy_88/Icons/Obama%20Icons/obama06.jpg DR

PS, The general discussion board has been on fire. :Applause:
We sure had some fun during the election time though. I kinda miss the crap you used to spill out.

DockRat
03-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Hali was released to lol
I would have filleted it up.
DR

socalfisher06
03-20-2013, 07:49 PM
I would have filleted it up.
DR

I feel ya! I have made the mistake a few times on the spotted kind.. but IMO that kelp is not a secret.

Reason I didnt keep it was because we did not have a knife on board or a bag to bring it in on the way back..

bloox8
03-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Awesome video :Cool: You guys tore it up!
And I like the sound track.

Thien

JL
03-24-2013, 06:24 AM
You do not need to apologize. There are 4 books out with GPS coordinates regarding the locations in PV and other places so your video and comments are not going to cause any issues with the fish population. Thanks for the video. God Bless.

DockRat
03-24-2013, 08:59 AM
You do not need to apologize. There are 4 books out with GPS coordinates regarding the locations in PV and other places so your video and comments are not going to cause any issues with the fish population. Thanks for the video. God Bless.
He's right, no need to apologize.

GPS coordinates for PV Calico Bass. That is funny. Sure there is some stones that produce, the wall ect. They also have this stuff called KELP.

Google ' Kelp Bass ' and you can read where Kelp Bass live. Put your local breakwall in you GPS under secret spots. :Rolls Eyes:

Yes there's books. But when a bite is good the more info and pics and names of locations will bring more people. With Sand Bass on the 'Do Not Eat' list guys want to bring home some meat. Why don't you jump on the surf fishing crowd for not giving up halibut spots, or wild trout guys.

DockRat
03-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Read this tread from sat.
419 miles of aquaduct.
We talking about a short kelp section surrounded by miles and miles of sand on this PV thread.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?71690-Saturday-3-23-2013

russ88
03-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the video. Pretty cool!

bsp
03-24-2013, 04:56 PM
You guys did really well out there, and that was a great video! Don't be discouraged from posting stuff up b/c you get a bit of negative feedback here and there. People will complain about every report, and it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Don't give out info on the spot, people will bash you for being selfish. Give out info on the spot, people bash you for killing bites. Just ignore the negative comments and focus on the positive. You went out with some buddies, had an awesome trip, and that's all that matters.

As for the advertising deal, when you're sponsored it's expected that you'll rep the products. Nothing wrong with that since you're just upholding your end of the deal. Why would a company hook you up if they weren't going to get anything in return? No worries on that front, and Reebs puts out some awesome kelp jigs, soft baits, and their new leadheads. Wish they had some smaller sizes on the leadheads/jigs for the spotties, but I've got enough freshwater jigs to cover me there.

Bottom line, nice video, keep up the good work, and don't worry about the detractors!

socalfisher06
03-25-2013, 06:11 PM
You guys did really well out there, and that was a great video! Don't be discouraged from posting stuff up b/c you get a bit of negative feedback here and there. People will complain about every report, and it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Don't give out info on the spot, people will bash you for being selfish. Give out info on the spot, people bash you for killing bites. Just ignore the negative comments and focus on the positive. You went out with some buddies, had an awesome trip, and that's all that matters.
As for the advertising deal, when you're sponsored it's expected that you'll rep the products. Nothing wrong with that since you're just upholding your end of the deal. Why would a company hook you up if they weren't going to get anything in return? No worries on that front, and Reebs puts out some awesome kelp jigs, soft baits, and their new leadheads. Wish they had some smaller sizes on the leadheads/jigs for the spotties, but I've got enough freshwater jigs to cover me there.

Bottom line, nice video, keep up the good work, and don't worry about the detractors!

Thanks! Reebs is coming out with quick limit heads all the way down to 3/8. It will take some time for the mold but it will be here!

DockRat
03-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Don't be discouraged from posting stuff up b/c you get a bit of negative feedback here and there.

Trying to help Calico stocks is not a negative thing Marc.
It is the same as your SWAT crew does by not exposing hot bites.
The guy is new to FNN and it was only advise, if he chooses to not to listen that is his choice to help fill gunny sacks.
DR

etucker1959
03-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Trying to help Calico stocks is not a negative thing Marc.
It is the same as your SWAT crew does by not exposing hot bites.
The guy is new to FNN and it was only advise, if he chooses to not to listen that is his choice to help fill gunny sacks.
DR

If you want to help Calico stocks you must be in favor of the MLPA RIGHT!!!!!!! The theory behind the MLPA is to give fish a sanctuary to breed in.

christainmetalhead909
03-27-2013, 01:19 PM
awesome!!!

socalfisher06
03-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks!!!!