PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird Smart Cast

Caliyak
03-19-2013, 02:50 PM
My wife wanted to buy me the Smart Cast as a joke because of the watch and the "cute" green floaty thingy. Does anyone have one and use it? boat, kayak, tube or on the shore.
The idea to have the portable transducer tied to the side of your kayak and just use the watch to see temp and depth, might work. No need for silicone, goop and wires. BUT, the reviews are horrible and the youtube reviews are as bad too. I need the FNN reviews!!!!

fishinone
03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
My wife wanted to buy me the Smart Cast as a joke because of the watch and the "cute" green floaty thingy. Does anyone have one and use it? boat, kayak, tube or on the shore.
The idea to have the portable transducer tied to the side of your kayak and just use the watch to see temp and depth, might work. No need for silicone, goop and wires. BUT, the reviews are horrible and the youtube reviews are as bad too. I need the FNN reviews!!!!

I have one with the rod mount screen. It works well but the transducer battery was killed by frost. I understand that any moisture when it is stored will do this.

In my opinion not being able to replace the battery is this products Achilles Heel. Some idiot thought that it was a good idea to create a consumables market. In my case he created a paper weight.

A switch to prevent accidental discharge would be nice also.

reservoir dog
03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Got one for a gift a while back and didn't think much of it. Kinda cheesy in my opinion. Never used it and sold it on ebay!!! I ended up getting a PiranhaMAX instead. If you're looking for non-permanent attachment then checkout the Lilly Pad or Johnny Bar at:

http://kayakfishinggear.com/

aramirez1988
03-19-2013, 04:48 PM
I got myself an RF 30 off Craigslist about a year ago and I have been fairly happy with it. Then again, I don't fish nearly as often as I would like. It only really helps me find the depth and every now and then it helps me find a fish. If you really need it for the whole fish finding aspect, then try to get something else. If you only really need a depth finder, this is perfect. I usually keep a snap swivel on it and just tie it to the end of either my line or off of the boat and it reads nicely and quickly.

Spillway
03-26-2013, 10:53 AM
I used one and liked it but the they don't last long and you have to buy a whole new float. One season at the most. I put one behind an extra large BulletBobber and trolled a long section of shore line locating fish and structure from shore. I like gadgets!