PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T.’d

bachiboy
03-18-2013, 11:02 PM
I’ve had 3 major heartbreaks in my life. On one 12-day long range trip I lost an estimated 250lb. yellowfin and a 160lber. Either one would have been my PB. The 250 was lost cuz another angler’s line wrapped mine and the spectra burned my fluoro topshot when the fish was just out of gaff range. The 160 was tailwrapped and when the deckhand tried to sink a gaff into it, the 6-8foot swells we were in plus the fish thrashing made it near impossible to see what he was gaffing and missed. The fish took a run and the line, frayed by the tail fins, and broke. Those were chalked up to [crap] happens. This heartbreak tops both of those. The loss I had on Friday was ALL my fault.
So, for three days after, I’ve been trying to get payback and here’s how it all went down.

Day 1, Friday

I had worked some long hours over the past four days and finished up a project which freed me up to fish on Friday. The grunion were projected to have their first run of the year and Thursday night was the last night so I decided to get a late morning session in Friday to see what might have been lured in. I went to a beach that I knew had regular gatherings to see if anything had followed them into the shallows. Three casts in I nail a chunky bsp. Not my biggest for the year but a solid 12” fish. I work down the beach for quite a ways getting 8 fish all 10-14”. I finally get down to a point where I figure it’s time to turn around and start working back, but see another hole that I want to hit before turning around. Two casts in I get hit...another nice 14” perch. Three casts later, BAM! I see a quick tail splash and silver flash so I know it’s not a shovelnose, but feel some decent weight on the end of my line. No real runs, just a couple short bursts, so I figure it’s just a really good perch. I look out and see a good chunk of kelp grab onto the line so I start wading in trying to get it off. The whole time the fish didn’t make any hard runs and I’m pretty relaxed about it all, again, thinking it’s a perch. Right when I reach out for the kelp, the fish takes a short run and the kelp falls off. I’m thinking, “cool, didn’t really feel like swimming to save a perch anyway.”:Cool: Then the fish makes a short run to the right and I start to wonder what the hell it is. He finally comes broadside in a wave and I see a long silver silhouette. It’s a bit away from me so I misjudge the size and think it’s a short white seabass.:Embarrassed: As I work it closer I realized it ain’t short and it ain’t no WSB...I see stripes!:Shocked: OMG, I’ve got a &*#^ing striper on the line!!!:EyePop: Instantly, adrenaline kicks in and I start working it in...or horsing it would be more accurate. Remember, I come from a tuna mindset where maximum pressure is the general rule. I figure, I set the drag to match my 12# test...I should be fine. PFFFTTTTT!:Rolls Eyes::Idiot: The waves and surge are a little heavy and the fish goes in and out 4 times. Each time I get a good look at him and try and get my hands on him but the wave retreats with my prize. The 4th time I feel a “thunk” and figure one of the hooks pulled, and few seconds later, THUNK...the last hook pulls free.:Angry: I let out a war cry:Explode:, that scared a couple passers-by, and just stand there hunched over in defeat. When I look at the hooks, the middle and the tail hook of my LC had straightened prongs.:Slap:

Flashback...a year ago I had gotten into a BIG leopard shark session and only landed one out of four hookups. All four had straightened hooks. I was fortunate to land the one, but I had to back off the drag to do it. I should’ve known better this time. The hooks are gonna fail before the 12# breaks. I also should’ve backed off the drag when he tried to make runs so he could tire out a bit, but I tried to muscle him in and just kept leaning back. When I tried to beach him, he was still too green and thrashing. DUMB*@&#!!!!:Head Bang:

I put a call into Arthur immediately and told him what happened and where I was. All I could think was I need backup cuz I suck at this. I also send out a text to a few people who might be in the area and would want to get over here if these things are lurking around.
I tie on a new LC and two cast later, hookup!...but it’s another 14” perch. Normally, I’d be thrilled to get a nice perch like that, but after what had just happened, it was a "little" anti-climactic. Not to mention that while I was taking the hook out, one got lodged into the back of my thumb.:Angry: Luckily, it didn’t go too far and I got it out. I was gonna start wrapping up the session before I hooked the beast, but stayed an extra hour and a half to see if lightening would strike twice, but only managed another few perch. I ended the day with about a dozen perch 10-14”, and one helluva fish story.

I tell my wife what happened and she says that I need a GoPro so that I have video proof of the fish I lose...wow, can you dig the knife a little deeper?!!! At least I get hallpasses to fish both Saturday and Sunday to try and redeem myself.

couple of the victims I did manage to beach
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/Perch1_zps1ae51c65.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/Perch2_zps8c4f22c3.jpg

Day 2, Saturday

I put in a call to Nate (bbqsushi) to join me to see if there are any more of those badboys out there. I started at 5:30 to see if they’d be more willing to bite in the dark but only managed this little guy...my personal best for the smallest banjo I’ve ever caught.
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/microray_zps70e4fe39.jpg

I only manage one small bsp and it’s clear this area has died down, but while we were wrapping up our session, I get a text from Arthur and find out he’s a little bit down from us and just nailed a 30” flattie. Later I find out that Anthony made an afternoon run on that area and nailed 3 legals and a short. The bright side to this story is that my info got some guys into the area to nail some fish and that’s ALWAYS an awesome thing!:Thumbs Up:

Day 3, Sunday, heartbreak #2 and PB

So, I make plans to meet up with Marc (bsp) and his dad Nick to see if we can coax up some fish. I arrive at 6am this time, realizing that 5:30 is a little early and didn’t produce the day before. Before they arrive I manage a handful of nice perch to about 13”. I come across a nice rip and two casts into it take a hit. I start working it to the beach and can tell it isn’t a perch. I get it to the skinny and start to drag it in with the wave...sure enough, thunk. Hook pulls. This woulda been my first flattie of the year, even if it did look like a short. I just look at the water and say, “REALLY? You’ve got to be &*%^ing kidding me!”:Beat Stick: I see Marc and Nick in the distance and wave them over so I can fill them in. When Marc starts coming over, I decide to walk back toward him and we meet in front of a hole that I had already covered. After a short debriefing, we start casting away. As I finish up one of my retrieves I leave my LC in the water since the wave is retreating and there’s a trench right in front of my feet. Sure enough I get hit. I know it’s a perch but it feels like a nicer model. I get it on the beach and it’s a really nice pig. We tape it out at just under 16” which is my LC PB.:Big Grin: Not exactly a legal or striper, but a little payback is better than none. I end the day with a few more perch and call it a day.
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/Pig_zps5ba39605.jpg

also managed a few more of these
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/Perch3_zps2599cbb0.jpg

After paying my husbandly and fatherly duties...swim lessons and Disneyland, Nate texts me to bring the family over for dinner. This is a nice ploy that we engage to sneak off to the beach for a quick session before dark. We get there around 4:30 and fish for two hours for absolutely nothing. Seems like this area is being vacated.:Skunk:

Day 4, Monday

After this day, my weekdays are done. I start a gig on Tuesday that will last through September. In July, my wife and I are expecting our second child, a girl. This means I had this outing as my last weekday to fish for a long while, and come July, I’m dry-docked completely for at least the remainder of the year. I figure I’d better get out there while I can, so I head back to the scene of the crime for one last go. 3 hours, 4 perch, 2 small leos. Got some fish and gotta be thankful for that, but I’m going through full-blown withdrawals at this point. I need a fix BAD!

Lessons learned (or refreshed)...

1. Set the drag to your gear/tackle...not just the line.

2. Just because you worked an area over, doesn’t mean that there aren’t fish there. Thanks Marc. If you didn’t show up when you did and I didn’t walk back toward you and work that hole again, I woulda never hooked that pig.

3. Good things come out of some bad situations. I may have lost that fish, but like I mentioned before, at least we got a bearing on where some fish were and a couple of the boys scored BIG!:Wink:

FishinElectrician
03-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Man, that sucks to hear about those heartbreaks, bro. But a true fisherman will always find the bright side in a gloomy situation. And you, sir, have done just that. And hey, catchin those chunky Perch aint so bad!!! Way to get em!!!

iLLest
03-18-2013, 11:34 PM
lol, oh man... I know the feeling bro trust me!
Im here shaking my head and smiling because the same exact thing happened to me, only difference is that it was a WSB.
And what sucks ever more is that you saw it just like I did, got your hopes up and began to try to horse it in, and thats when it happened, the ultimate mistake, the life changing moment when you have caught one of your dream fish only to have it lost to one of your mistakes. Your heart shatters and you begin to curse, ALOT! But at the end of the day thats what fuels us to get out there more often and go after em. If it wasnt for a set back that I currently have I'd be out there with you guys, it sounds like the fish are coming back into town, must be the warm water ;)

Good luck next time bro and thats some good advice you gave us there at the end.
See ya on the surf.
-Frank

koifish
03-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Don
you will get him next time for sure. They are out there waiting for you. Very nice report.

Jaysuuun
03-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Dude that sucks ***! Sorry to hear about that. Reading your report made me think about all the prize fish I've lost before. It's never a fun feeling and you can't help yourself from thinking " What could I have done differently?" You're not alone brotha. I feel your pain.

On a positive note congrats on your PB and thanks for the intel.

LOL On the gopro for lost fish. Ha ha ha

SP Dan
03-19-2013, 05:46 AM
Hi ya Don,

What an excellent read Don! Congrat's on the HUGE BSP!

Last year I brought (3) three SB to the sand but only two allowed me to take control over them and the third one became unbuttoned as I was grabbing it's tail!
I had the same hook results as you while I was using 2X #6 tin coated trebles at the throat and belly and a 4X #4 at the stinger allowing for successful SB beachings. The strength of the SB has only been matched by the 55" leo that I landed last year. And both were able to still straighten-out a few hooks!
My advise: when going after salt water Stripe Bass .... use stronger line (mine is #55 braided) and hooks ... go big (slightly stronger) or stay home!

I know that most of us refer to the WSB as the "ghost" .... but if you've ever brought a Stripe Bass to the sands edge and looked into the eye of this magnificent fish ..... just to have it become unbuttoned and to get away ....... this is the ghost that will truly haunt you forever brother! I truly feel what you are saying!

Also with WSB you can catch 2-3-4 in a day when they are on the bite but a SB is a once in a life time opportunity if you are lucky enough to hook up with one! Best motto: always be prepared!

Thanx Don for the fish report with pic's! :Cool:

PS ... Congratulations to your family for the soon to arrive precious lil' girl!
PSS .... Is there a new trend going on here that yourself, Jean and Roberto are starting up??!!??*? :EyePop: ..... The new age of body piercing by LC??!*? :EyePop:

SP Dan <"))><

Which Way Out
03-19-2013, 06:26 AM
Wow Don what a report.
The trials and tribulations of fishing. Not unlike Roberts aka Murrieta Anglers post in some regards. I feel for ya on the lost jailbird. I've never hooked one in the Saltwater and if I do, I will take your hard learned lesson and try to remember what to do. But being "uncoachable" I might have the same results. LOL

Congrats on the other PB. A little girl that's prefect.

WWO

PONTOON
03-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Don,

I thought I'd take a break and check out your report real quick but it hooked me and I had to take it all in............Excellent Report! :Cool:

I can speak for myself and I'm sure there are many others who have had the same kind of heartbreaks but it's those Near Victories that keep us all wanting to come back more and more. I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'm sure that with all your effort and all you've contributed to SWAT and the board you will enjoy Victory in a big way before the season is over. :Wink:

Thanks for the report, keep them coming and I'm sure everything you've paid forward will be paid back in a big way! :Thumbs Up:

troublehook
03-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Awww man, I would have probably thrown my rod in the water. :mad:
Serious heartbreak, but I know you will get back out there with more determination.
Congrats on the PB perch, at least you got something to show for it. :Cool:

Wingnut
03-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Don, I wish I could tell you I know exactly how you feel... but I can't. I have a pretty good idea though, because we all have lost nice fish, but few of us have lost a fish of a lifetime. :Neutral: I've lost quite a few legal Halibut and WSB, but none, were fish of a lifetime. There's nothing that anybody can tell you, that will magically make you feel better, you just have to eventually come to terms with it and accept that these kind of things does happen. If you don't, it will just eat you up. Honestly, the disappointment won't go away anytime soon... it will linger with you until you beach the next Striper or catch a bigger and better fish.

Don't be so hard on yourself, it just wasn't meant to be... this time around. I know one thing is for certain, you will bounce back Don, and when you do, you will do it in grand style. :Wink:

Thanks again for the intel... your Brothers definitely benefited from it. :Big Grin:

jinbow
03-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Don,
Now you make me wonder if I need to swap out the original LC hooks with some Owners.
Wow, you were so close in landing that striper, hope Poseidon blesses you with something better soon. :Thumbs Up:
I've always heard there were stripers over that area, now I'm convinced. I would need to hit that area this week.
Thanks for the report and fish tale! :Big Smile:
Albert (jinbow)

peanutbutter
03-19-2013, 07:59 PM
aw that sucks
but atleast you got some piggy perch

Fishbones
03-19-2013, 09:16 PM
damn,, thats all i have to say... from a guesstimation... how big was it??

bloox8
03-19-2013, 10:28 PM
I thought me losing my first yellowtail (around 30-35") on my charter trip was heartbreaking... I couldn't stop thinking about it for over a week. I can't imagine what you're going through. I hope you manage to get some time off, even if its an hour, to get your revenge.

Enough of the sad stuff! I am glad you were able to nail your PB BSP! Congrats!! :Big Grin: And super congrats for your incoming daughter. I know so many people that would love to have both a son and a daughter (not that having only sons or only daughters is bad or anything).

Thanks for the report and the advice. I will definitely learn from this report.

Thien

dlmoo312
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Don... my heart sank as I read your story.. even reading about the two mishaps with the tunas was heartbreaking..
I can imagine how much adrenaline was going through you in the moments where the fish was right in front of you in the surge.
It's so hard not to just want to horse the fish in the last few feet.:Neutral:
Sorry for the lost fish, but you are a very experienced and dedicated fisherman, and i'm certain you'll get another shot. I know for sure you won't let that one get away!:Big Grin:
Thanks for the report and congrats on the perch! It's no striper but it's still a PB nonetheless.

-Daniel

Badbeat
03-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Arthur was telling me about it while we were fishing at Lake Cachuma on Sunday.
I feel for you bro, you need to catch another one for it to be ok again. :Wink:
I know this will just make you hungrier, go gettem' man.

murrieta angler
03-20-2013, 10:04 PM
OUCH!!!!
Wives can be ruthless & they act like they don't know what they said...:Evil:
At least you are one of the lucky few that had a chance to land a striper.
I have never heard of anyone catching one down here...:Sad:
But alas, you got a PB perch and alot of time in the surf...:Wink:
You make sure to keep us updated on the baby and I'll keep you updated on the fishing...:LOL:
I am heading to San Quentin first weekend of April. Hopefully the YT's will be willing to play...:Envious:
Take Care Bro & God Bless You & Your Family,
Robert
<><

sidified
03-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Well, Bachiboy, those are some tales to tell.... the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat..
Though your weekdays are shot, it sounds like at least your weekends hold promise..
And come July, counting Bachimama, you land your third catch of a lifetime!
You're a great guy, Don, great fisherman and I'll bet a great dad.. Be blessed..
Sid

bones
03-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Absolutely awesome read Don. Sorry for the late reply but I've been burried with work and stuff. I feel your pain brotha when it comes to us (we) doing things out of instinct in the surf rather than a calculated assault with all of the nuances fine tuned. Basically shooting from the hip sometimes and sometimes there are dear prices to pay. I'm not a tuna guy (No JOKES PLEASE) ....... but I have been watching Wicked Tuna on cable and it really gets your heart pumping especially when they get into 500lb bad boyz worth mucho dinero!

Your heads up on that AO is paying off big time for a few of your brothers and I want to really thank you for being so selfless my friend. Mishaps.....Heartbreaks and Fish Stories are what it is all about sir. It's those times that make the victories so special.
Mr Stripey was just giving you a heads up and his big brother is lurking somewhere in those trenches for you buddy. With all of the hard work you put in.....Poseidon will reward you soon!

Oh yeah....congrats on the PIG SLAB. Another PB goes down in the chapters of your 40 years on the sand.

Well done Sir!

blackwater
03-22-2013, 04:47 PM
If I had lost that fish, my rod would be in two pieces or tossed in the surf. :Evil:
Shake it off bro and go hook yourself another one. :Wink:

flyngby
03-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Don,

Your day or days, as you stated did not go without rewards! Your willingness to forward some intel, turned into some great sessions for others!

Great Job paying it Forward!

I see you did your best to beat yourself up over the loss of a nice fish and then how to do better next time as we all do!

For those who have any "Service" experience in any field, we are always trying to find a way to get the job done in a better way! Some call it a "Critique" and others call it an "After Action Review"

We all use the format in some form of fashion!

The After Action Review

The After Action Review (AAR) is a post-shift team discussion that
incorporates and integrates both technical information and human factors.
The AAR...

• Is the primary tool for incorporating the action’s or day’s events into
the learning cycle.

• Provides a forum for determining the roots of crew performance
successes and failures. In the event of failure, it provides a forum for
developing strategies for mitigating causal factors in the future.

• Assists in establishing a common crew perception of the events of the
day.

• Provides practice for crew communication and for conflict resolution
between team members.

• Provides a place to establish, emphasize, and reinforce group norms.

Guidelines for the AAR

The AAR should detail the actions of the crew during the assignment.
Technical, operational, and human elements of crew performance should
be discussed as appropriate. Both good and sub-standard performance
should be addressed and analyzed. The content of each AAR may vary
widely, depending upon the events.

Subjects discussed or mentioned during an AAR may include the following:
In general, an AAR answers these questions:

1. What was planned?

2. What really happened?

3. Why did it happen?

4. What can we do better next time?

Some days are more exciting than others, and the AAR should reflect this
reality. As a crew leader, you will need to focus the AAR to make it
effective.

Adjust the content of the AAR to reflect the events of the day, but don’t
assume nothing happens on a quiet day. A crew can fall down on quiet
days as easily as it can on busy ones. Low stress can breed complacency.

Keep the AAR straight-forward and focused on task.

Following are some watchouts to keep in mind during AARs:

• Don't focus on the "Who" but about the "What"

• Don’t over-analyze the day’s events. Short of a catastrophic problem
that really needs to be torn down and examined, discuss only the most
important factors and move along. In some cases, you may need to
guide or limit the discussion so that it does not get too deep or
convoluted.

• Don’t allow the AAR to bog down with trivia or unnecessary details
that do not relate to the unit’s actions and events.

Thanks for the great extended report!

You'll get it next time!!!!!

Steve

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/fireman1.gif

PS! You know all of this will go out the window the next time our new potential "Personnel Best" whatever comes to "Color" in the future and we will then conduct another AAR!

bachiboy
03-22-2013, 11:56 PM
THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS AND SUPPORT. IT'S BEEN HUGE!!!

Man, that sucks to hear about those heartbreaks, bro. But a true fisherman will always find the bright side in a gloomy situation. And you, sir, have done just that. And hey, catchin those chunky Perch aint so bad!!! Way to get em!!!

Thanks FE! Well, I tried to find a bright side anyway. :LOL: Gotta just keep reminding myself that the main objective is to have fun!:Wink:

lol, oh man... I know the feeling bro trust me!
Im here shaking my head and smiling because the same exact thing happened to me, only difference is that it was a WSB.
And what sucks ever more is that you saw it just like I did, got your hopes up and began to try to horse it in, and thats when it happened, the ultimate mistake, the life changing moment when you have caught one of your dream fish only to have it lost to one of your mistakes. Your heart shatters and you begin to curse, ALOT! But at the end of the day thats what fuels us to get out there more often and go after em. If it wasnt for a set back that I currently have I'd be out there with you guys, it sounds like the fish are coming back into town, must be the warm water ;)

Good luck next time bro and thats some good advice you gave us there at the end.
See ya on the surf.
-Frank

Thanks Frank! Only thing we can do is learn from the experience and move on to the next...there will always be a next time.:Wink:

Don
you will get him next time for sure. They are out there waiting for you. Very nice report.

Thanks Mr. C! They're waiting for me and I'll be back waiting for them. :Twisted:

Dude that sucks ***! Sorry to hear about that. Reading your report made me think about all the prize fish I've lost before. It's never a fun feeling and you can't help yourself from thinking " What could I have done differently?" You're not alone brotha. I feel your pain.

On a positive note congrats on your PB and thanks for the intel.

LOL On the gopro for lost fish. Ha ha ha

Thanks J and BIG congrats on your beast! What's with these wives and their twisted sense of humor? :Twisted::LOL: J/K Tess!:Wink:

Seems like you always replay those moments back over and over...that is till we get it right!:Wink: It'll come.

Hi ya Don,

What an excellent read Don! Congrat's on the HUGE BSP!

Last year I brought (3) three SB to the sand but only two allowed me to take control over them and the third one became unbuttoned as I was grabbing it's tail!
I had the same hook results as you while I was using 2X #6 tin coated trebles at the throat and belly and a 4X #4 at the stinger allowing for successful SB beachings. The strength of the SB has only been matched by the 55" leo that I landed last year. And both were able to still straighten-out a few hooks!
My advise: when going after salt water Stripe Bass .... use stronger line (mine is #55 braided) and hooks ... go big (slightly stronger) or stay home!

I know that most of us refer to the WSB as the "ghost" .... but if you've ever brought a Stripe Bass to the sands edge and looked into the eye of this magnificent fish ..... just to have it become unbuttoned and to get away ....... this is the ghost that will truly haunt you forever brother! I truly feel what you are saying!

Also with WSB you can catch 2-3-4 in a day when they are on the bite but a SB is a once in a life time opportunity if you are lucky enough to hook up with one! Best motto: always be prepared!

Thanx Don for the fish report with pic's! :Cool:

PS ... Congratulations to your family for the soon to arrive precious lil' girl!
PSS .... Is there a new trend going on here that yourself, Jean and Roberto are starting up??!!??*? :EyePop: ..... The new age of body piercing by LC??!*? :EyePop:

SP Dan <"))><

LOL...Thanks Dan! No, don't think I meant to join that trend...not that they did. Mine was a brain fart (losing the fish), followed by a bigger brain fart (hook in the thumb). It's funny about being prepared cuz, for as much as I know those jailbirds stalk the area, I wasn't thinking at all that it was going to make a guest appearance. Like you said, be prepared...and as far as the hook in the thumb, always be aware!

Wow Don what a report.
The trials and tribulations of fishing. Not unlike Roberts aka Murrieta Anglers post in some regards. I feel for ya on the lost jailbird. I've never hooked one in the Saltwater and if I do, I will take your hard learned lesson and try to remember what to do. But being "uncoachable" I might have the same results. LOL

Congrats on the other PB. A little girl that's prefect.

WWO

Thanks Bill! I'm sure that though "uncoachable", somewhere in the back of your mind, when you see that fish, a little Bachi will be whispering in your ear "Don't do what I did!!!!".:ROFL:

Don,

I thought I'd take a break and check out your report real quick but it hooked me and I had to take it all in............Excellent Report! :Cool:

I can speak for myself and I'm sure there are many others who have had the same kind of heartbreaks but it's those Near Victories that keep us all wanting to come back more and more. I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'm sure that with all your effort and all you've contributed to SWAT and the board you will enjoy Victory in a big way before the season is over. :Wink:

Thanks for the report, keep them coming and I'm sure everything you've paid forward will be paid back in a big way! :Thumbs Up:

Thanks for taking the time to read it through Terry! Paying it forward is what it's all about, victory or not. I'm REALLY grateful that the intel paid off for the guys. God knows, I'd be fishing blind most of the time without everyone's info and guidance. Looking forward to fishing with you again soon!

Awww man, I would have probably thrown my rod in the water. :mad:
Serious heartbreak, but I know you will get back out there with more determination.
Congrats on the PB perch, at least you got something to show for it. :Cool:

Thanks TH! You know, I don't golf for that exact reason.:LOL: God knows I've dented a few aluminum bats in my day after whiffing during baseball season, but it didn't cross my mind (or reactions) this time. Maybe as much, or more, disappointment than anger this time around. Although that couple may say differently considering how loud I yelled.:ROFL: The perch was a nice buffer to the adventure.:Wink:

Don, I wish I could tell you I know exactly how you feel... but I can't. I have a pretty good idea though, because we all have lost nice fish, but few of us have lost a fish of a lifetime. :Neutral: I've lost quite a few legal Halibut and WSB, but none, were fish of a lifetime. There's nothing that anybody can tell you, that will magically make you feel better, you just have to eventually come to terms with it and accept that these kind of things does happen. If you don't, it will just eat you up. Honestly, the disappointment won't go away anytime soon... it will linger with you until you beach the next Striper or catch a bigger and better fish.

Don't be so hard on yourself, it just wasn't meant to be... this time around. I know one thing is for certain, you will bounce back Don, and when you do, you will do it in grand style. :Wink:

Thanks again for the intel... your Brothers definitely benefited from it. :Big Grin:

Thanks sir!!! I think the worst thing I coulda done after that experience was to keep going out there for the next three days. I equate it to losing right outta the gate in Vegas, then trying to chase down your losses. You end up pressing too much and losing sight of the main goal...just have fun.:Wink: Thank god I got called into work on Tuesday or I woulda just ended up at the beach again, which, having a successful trip or not, wouldn't have done as much good as taking a step back and getting a better view of the BIG picture. I gotta be a little more grateful that I even had the opportunities to fish so many days, but that got clouded by that jailbird target. SEVERE tunnel vision! Congrats again on your 30! I am, again, incredibly grateful that I was able to get you guys out there in the area to score. Looking forward to getting in some sessions with you and the guys before D-Day.

Don,
Now you make me wonder if I need to swap out the original LC hooks with some Owners.
Wow, you were so close in landing that striper, hope Poseidon blesses you with something better soon. :Thumbs Up:
I've always heard there were stripers over that area, now I'm convinced. I would need to hit that area this week.
Thanks for the report and fish tale! :Big Smile:
Albert (jinbow)

Hey Albert. The hooks I used were actually Owners...ST41 2x. Those weren't the problem as much as "operator error". :LOL::Wink: Hope you're able to get out there soon. Sounds like they're still coming in. At some point they'll make their showing at the A.O. that we keep running into each other. See you there...unless I see you sooner. :Wink: Thanks for reading!

aw that sucks
but atleast you got some piggy perch

Thanks Jean! Hope you have a great S.W.A.T. guided trip. Not sure I'm gonna make that one cuz the work schedule's starting to get busy, but I'm sure you'll have a blast out there!

damn,, thats all i have to say... from a guesstimation... how big was it??

It was pretty fat. Probably from scarfing down all the grunion. Wingnut was guessing around 12-15lbs. which might be right on...but you're asking the guy who lost the fish. Doesn't that guy always end up embellishing? :LOL:

I thought me losing my first yellowtail (around 30-35") on my charter trip was heartbreaking... I couldn't stop thinking about it for over a week. I can't imagine what you're going through. I hope you manage to get some time off, even if its an hour, to get your revenge.

Enough of the sad stuff! I am glad you were able to nail your PB BSP! Congrats!! :Big Grin: And super congrats for your incoming daughter. I know so many people that would love to have both a son and a daughter (not that having only sons or only daughters is bad or anything).

Thanks for the report and the advice. I will definitely learn from this report.

Thien

Hey Thien,
The primary objective was to lose that striper so that you could go out there and get em as your induction fish! PFFFTTTT...okay, I lied!:ROFL: But he's out there for you man...go get him! And don't let them dang vets trick you anymore into taking the lead.:Wink: Thanks for reading and hope to see you out there soon!

Don... my heart sank as I read your story.. even reading about the two mishaps with the tunas was heartbreaking..
I can imagine how much adrenaline was going through you in the moments where the fish was right in front of you in the surge.
It's so hard not to just want to horse the fish in the last few feet.:Neutral:
Sorry for the lost fish, but you are a very experienced and dedicated fisherman, and i'm certain you'll get another shot. I know for sure you won't let that one get away!:Big Grin:
Thanks for the report and congrats on the perch! It's no striper but it's still a PB nonetheless.

-Daniel

Thanks Daniel! Not sure I can promise that I won't let the next one get away, but all we can do is keep trying. I've had my fair share of success...and will continue to have some in the future, but it all comes with some disappointment. Whether I get another shot at that striper or not, I've come to grips with the fact that I'm damned lucky to have hooked one at all.

Arthur was telling me about it while we were fishing at Lake Cachuma on Sunday.
I feel for you bro, you need to catch another one for it to be ok again. :Wink:
I know this will just make you hungrier, go gettem' man.

Thanks BB! God knows I'd like another shot, but it's okay if it doesn't happen. Just gotta keep in mind that I am damned lucky to be out there at all. Of course I say that now...once I see the waves and start casting...well, I'll try and keep the anticipation in check anyway.:EyePop::LOL::Wink:

OUCH!!!!
Wives can be ruthless & they act like they don't know what they said...:Evil:
At least you are one of the lucky few that had a chance to land a striper.
I have never heard of anyone catching one down here...:Sad:
But alas, you got a PB perch and alot of time in the surf...:Wink:
You make sure to keep us updated on the baby and I'll keep you updated on the fishing...:LOL:
I am heading to San Quentin first weekend of April. Hopefully the YT's will be willing to play...:Envious:
Take Care Bro & God Bless You & Your Family,
Robert
<><

OUCH, to me? OUCH to you! Man, you took a beating out there bro!:EyePop: Your persistence and dedication is amazing and inspiring!:UDaMan: Congrats on your last session!!! Sounds like you're in for some fun down at S.Q. too. The YTs are coming in fat this year. I'm sure you're gonna have a great trip. If I don't see you or talk to you before then, hope you and your family have a great Easter Holiday! Thanks man and take care!

Well, Bachiboy, those are some tales to tell.... the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat..
Though your weekdays are shot, it sounds like at least your weekends hold promise..
And come July, counting Bachimama, you land your third catch of a lifetime!
You're a great guy, Don, great fisherman and I'll bet a great dad.. Be blessed..
Sid

Hey Sid! Missed you at the gathering up north, but I hear that you were plenty busy that weekend.:Wink: Yea, when I was driving home after that session, I could hear Jim Mckay uttering those words in my ear. I'll be waiting for to hear Al Michaels whispering in my ear on my way home from a different session..."Do you believe in miracles?!!!":Wink: Maybe not the exact words I'll be thinking of when my third blessing comes, but I'll be one proud papa!:Dancing Banana: Thanks!!!

Absolutely awesome read Don. Sorry for the late reply but I've been burried with work and stuff. I feel your pain brotha when it comes to us (we) doing things out of instinct in the surf rather than a calculated assault with all of the nuances fine tuned. Basically shooting from the hip sometimes and sometimes there are dear prices to pay. I'm not a tuna guy (No JOKES PLEASE) ....... but I have been watching Wicked Tuna on cable and it really gets your heart pumping especially when they get into 500lb bad boyz worth mucho dinero!

Your heads up on that AO is paying off big time for a few of your brothers and I want to really thank you for being so selfless my friend. Mishaps.....Heartbreaks and Fish Stories are what it is all about sir. It's those times that make the victories so special.
Mr Stripey was just giving you a heads up and his big brother is lurking somewhere in those trenches for you buddy. With all of the hard work you put in.....Poseidon will reward you soon!

Oh yeah....congrats on the PIG SLAB. Another PB goes down in the chapters of your 40 years on the sand.

Well done Sir!

Thank you sir!!! Yes, hearkbreaks and fish stories do come with the territory. It just makes the successful stories that much sweeter.:Wink: Either way, it's all in good fun. Just gotta enjoy my time out there. It'll come sooner or later. See you on the battlefield!!!

If I had lost that fish, my rod would be in two pieces or tossed in the surf. :Evil:
Shake it off bro and go hook yourself another one. :Wink:

LOL! I guess I surprised myself by not doing that.:LOL: Im a shakin' and a goin'...hooking another one? We'll see!:Wink: Thanks BW!

• Don’t over-analyze the day’s events. Short of a catastrophic problem
that really needs to be torn down and examined, discuss only the most
important factors and move along. In some cases, you may need to
guide or limit the discussion so that it does not get too deep or
convoluted.

Hey Steve,
I think this bullet point stuck out the most in the AAR. Probably sums up my mindset, after the loss, the best. Always the "shoulda, woulda, coulda" that clouds my vision. Thanks for the kick in the head to jog it lose...I may need a refresher course in the future.:Wink:

But, this bullet point made me crack-up...

• Don't focus on the "Who" but about the "What"

I was thinking..."oh I know Who messed up, but I REALLY know What I lost!" :ROFL: I know, I know...that's not what it's trying to convey, but it still made me laugh!:Wink:

Thanks for the kind words sir!

Hope you all have a great weekend and a great Easter Holiday!!! Go get em out there!!!

bsp
03-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Don,

It was definitely nice meeting up with you on the beach! When you told me the striper story I felt for you. Sometimes you have the fish of a lifetime close enough to touch, and then it slips away leaving you with the motivation to get out there again. I had a great time chatting with you throughout the session, and hope to get the chance to hit the surf with you again soon. Dad and I haven't had much luck over the past few days, only a few perch and shorts to show for the effort. The structure everywhere looks fantastic though, and I have a feeling some more good fish will be landed in the coming weeks. I'm betting you'll be one of the guys to do so!

-Marc

bachiboy
03-26-2013, 03:22 AM
Don,

It was definitely nice meeting up with you on the beach! When you told me the striper story I felt for you. Sometimes you have the fish of a lifetime close enough to touch, and then it slips away leaving you with the motivation to get out there again. I had a great time chatting with you throughout the session, and hope to get the chance to hit the surf with you again soon. Dad and I haven't had much luck over the past few days, only a few perch and shorts to show for the effort. The structure everywhere looks fantastic though, and I have a feeling some more good fish will be landed in the coming weeks. I'm betting you'll be one of the guys to do so!

-Marc

Hey Marc,

Thanks Marc! Glad you and your dad could make it down there. It was awesome to finally get to fish with you both. Things sure looked promising out there, but I guess the bite has hit a little lull. Hopefully things will perk up this weekend. I'll be out there trying it again...weather permitting, and hopefully fish cooperating a little better.

See you in the trenches (or at least casting at 'em :Wink:)!
Don