PDA

View Full Version : lower owens

rmnv505
03-18-2013, 06:50 PM
ok guys im going up this weekend and wanted to see if anyone can give me any usefull tips?? i know the blake jones derby just passed so hopefully their will be some fish left. im going to be fishing the streams and covering alot of ground so any info is appreciated.

Kingfish Addict
03-19-2013, 11:17 AM
When fishing the Owens, it's better to start lower down the river and walk UP stream. That way you are coming up on the fish from behind, since they always face upstream. You're less likely to spook them that way. If you walk downstream, the fish will be able to see you easily. Be aware of the position of the sun casting your shadow on the water. If your shadow goes across the water, the fish bolt in a heartbeat. Try to cast upstream and work your bait/fly/lure downstream. The fish are used to catching food coming at them and not from behind. The fish up there spook easily, if you're doing something that you think might spook the fish, then it probably will...

rmnv505
03-19-2013, 02:06 PM
thanks kingfish, I will take that into consideration when approaching the water. Im going to be fishing with bait or lures do you know what they usually hit on up their in the streams? I am going with others who have fished the owens before, but I want to be somewhat prepared.

geedavell
03-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Panther Martins in silver or gold and Salmon eggs with small split shot are my favorites up there.
Not sure about restrictions this time of year. You may have to pinch barbs and you may not be able to fish with bait.
Good luck. Wish I was going!!

rmnv505
03-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Cool...thanks guys for the info I head out friday so lets see how i do. :Envious:

Raw Jawz
03-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Let us know how you do, im going up in less than 2 weeks.

lydnbob
03-20-2013, 09:50 PM
if your going for holdovers go down to laws (outside bishop) or to east line st (middle of bishop) and fish both sides of the bridges...dont be afraid to go in aways fish the slower bends and deep holes...should be plenty of holdover bows if they stocked decent buy a crawler installer and fish small night crawlers and be prepared to lose alot of hooks...check the ladwp realtime data site and if the flows get up above 300 hit pvr unless you know how to fish high water it will get very frustrating

rmnv505
03-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Let us know how you do, im going up in less than 2 weeks.

You got it, im heading out tomorrow morning so let the fun begin. I should have a report for you by tuesday :Big Grin:

if your going for holdovers go down to laws (outside bishop) or to east line st (middle of bishop) and fish both sides of the bridges...dont be afraid to go in aways fish the slower bends and deep holes...should be plenty of holdover bows if they stocked decent buy a crawler installer and fish small night crawlers and be prepared to lose alot of hooks...check the ladwp realtime data site and if the flows get up above 300 hit pvr unless you know how to fish high water it will get very frustrating

thanks for the heads up lydnbob I just checked the data where i will be fishing ( above big pine) and it looks to be 230 - 262 water flow. Im hoping the winds wont be to brutal up their but as of now the weather is reporting 20mph winds on saturday.

rmnv505
03-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Reports up if you guys wanna check it out.

had a great time fishing the owens :Cool:

billy b
03-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Got a lot of years under my belt ... but aint heard of that one???