PDA

View Full Version : Puddingstone - 3/16/13

Wambulance
03-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Hey all first time posting on the board here. Normally I fish at Castaic Lake but the weekend winds have been terrible. I needed a backup lake to hit up so I decided to give Puddingstone a try. Glad I did cuz the weather was great and the lake showed me love!

I got out at the lake at 7:45AM and already there were a lot of anglers on the shore. I observed at the broken pier on the east side of the lake had the most action in the morning judging from the screams and shouts. Being new I walked over to check it out and observe the potential spots. As I did someone had just caught what appeared to be a LMB probably around 2lb. I overheard him say he got it with a "drop shot" rig. So that area was overcrowded and I decided to keep heading north a bit.. went through some trees and eventually parked myself at the shore not too far off from the pier. Water was shallow and no luck at my spot. There were two friends a little north of me probably ~35 feet away did catch a few. They were all tiny and I wasn't sure what fish to make them out to be.

Anyways, I kept walking north a bit and tried various spots. Again no luck and observed the water level to be shallow. At this point I was hearing a lot of noises from boats and jet skies so I thought it would not be a good spot to fish near them cuz the noise would spook the fish so I headed south. I eventually found a hot spot for myself and landed 2 LMB! First one I brought to the shore at 12:30PM and as I reached for it's mouth and held it, he shook furiously! I let him go so he could calm down but as I did, the hook flung out of his mouth! I didn't realize until a second later and hesitated to 2-hand grab that sucker and he flipped over and swam away. Darn! Anyways I kept fishing and I got another * tap tap* at 3:30pm. Set the hook and bamo! brought him in and this time I just dragged the sucker onto land before picking him u p :LOL: Weighed this one and he came out to 1lb 8oz. Got this little fella on a 4.5'' roboworm oxblood light red flake

Anyways I kept fishing same spot until 7pm no luck. Being new to the lake and had not done my research I tried various plastics with my drop shot - roboworm colors: oxblood, margarita, morning dawn light, hologram shad, senkos, skinny bear shad eye. Only oxblood worked for the day.

Overall great day and I think I may have found my backup lake when castaic weather is not cooperative with me! I did some searching on this board for puddingstone reports but the most recent reports were depressing (something about oil dumped into "RV" cove). Can anybody give me some tips on the lake for LMB fishing? I'm not asking for secret spots but would be nice to know the lake areas a bit. I've heard a lot about swim cove but not sure where that is. I bought a fishing map of the lake but that'll come probably in a few days. Anyways tight lines to you all!